close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Vehicles They Should Have Made

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Aug 7, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, so we've talked about the guns they should have made... Now how about the vehicles they should have made?
    Here are two opinions of mine:
    1. I drive a 1990 Bronco II and think it's great except for the small space and the fact that it was previously abused and neglected and thus has fewer days ahead than it would otherwise have. Now since then, Ford introduced the Explorer as the mid-size SUV on the Ranger platform, but the two have evolved separately and now the Explorer has become another bulky dirtophobic incompetent luxury vehicle like the Expedition. The Bronco IIs on the other kept very close to the Ranger platform. So what I'd like to see is a new mid-size SUV that is basically an enclosed Ranger. Kind of what the Blazer is to the S-10, and the 4Runner is to the Tacoma. I'm, talking less bulk, less weight, more clearance.
    2. Here's the wild one... I love the new Impalas. But their ground clearance is less than I'd like and they're restricted to 2 wheel drive. What I'd absolutely love to see is an Impala that is decked out like a Subaru Outback, with better clearance, tougher bumpers and such, and four wheel drive. If you didn't want it to be jacked up all the time, you could even have an adjustable height version that would be more streamlined on the highway but able to tackle dips, curbs, fields and the like. Maybe... Maybe it would automatically lower when speeding up...

Ok, time to tell me how crazy I am and what YOU wish they'd make.

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

They should not have quit making the Jeep Cherokee here in Toledo. They should have kept making it bare bones for utility companys, police etc. They should have offered it in 4 basic colors, rubber floor matting instead of carpet, the 6 cyl. motor only, with choice of 5spd manual or automatic. With a little work these become awesome trail vehicles and last forever with proper care. The aftermarket is flooded with accessories for them. It was a shame to see the Germans kill this vehicle which still sold 159,000 a year when they stopped it. How can you justify that?:mad:

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I agree that it's a shame. Didn't know it was German. I heard that auto trannies in them were dirt. In fact, it seems Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Plymouth have tranny problems a lot, at least the early 90s ones.

4. NRAJOE

Yeah they did act up sometimes. The 5 sp man. with that high torque 6 cyl was an awesome combo! Drove alot of them! It is now the Daimler/Chrysler auto company! Now the Germans own the very vehicle that helped defeat them! Only in America could this happen!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2002
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'd like to see the return of the flat-fender JEEP - no frills rugged off roader. And the matching flat-fender pickup truck. I always really liked them.
    I'd also like to see a new AMC AMX with the styling of the second genration (bulged fenders) updated for todays safety regs, and add in the original Eagle 4WD system. But I'm weird that way.
    With the renewed interest in retro designs, I want to see a return of the '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk - IMHO the most beautiful car ever built.
    I'd also favor a return of the mini Bronco, with no un-necessary frills. A real hunter's truck.

6. Believe it or not, the Pinto was a pretty good car. They just had a tendency to blow up a lot. That was the first overhead cam engine in a mass produced American car and is still used in sand rails and some race cars. Its a shame that a decent 4WD costs $35,000. I wouldnt want to put scratches in something like that or get mud on the carpet or leather seats. An old Jeep with air locker rear ends will get you anywhere. I can live without the DVD, CD, navigation system, burled walnut dash, leather and the fancy mag wheels.

7. JEEPS

THIS IS WHY I HAVE A 1953 JEEP WAGON AND WORKING ON MY 1951 M-38. WITH LUCK ANOTHER MONTH WILL HAVE THE M-38 ON THE ROAD!!!!!??????

DANA

8. NRAJOE

Big dog, there are two companys that still make the flat fenders. One is in China and the name of the company escapes me. The other is made by Mahindra in India. Mahindra is now selling farm tractors here in the states but I doubt they will get to sell their flatfenders due to safety concerns! What a shame! Dana, everytime you write something on here I get more jealous!What don't you have!? :D

9. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

The GMC Typhoon has everything that I could ever want in a vehicle.
    Speaking of the Pinto, I had a 77 Mustang II. It was essentially a Pinto. It had the 302. It was very fast. Quite a sleeper. The onloy way to tell that it had the 302 was a small V8 emblem on the front fenders. But the body was in bad enough shape that you could hardly see the emblem. Won a lot of drag races with that car...

10. NRAJOE

There is one here in Toledo Lenny, just like you described. Its red and they want $4,000 for it. Always garaged, original paint, 54,000 miles.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2002
  11. NRAJOE

SOME WOULD SAY NO SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HOWEVER IF YOU KEEP AT IT YOU WILL END UP WITH MOST OF THE GUNS AND THINGS YOU LIKE.
    PRESS ON
    SIERRA HOTEL

DANA

12. NRAJOE

Ha! Obviously you have alot of sense to hold on to your guns all these years like you have! Wish I had held on to stuff from my younger days! And some of the cool vehicles I had. Had a 1953 Chevy panel truck with a giant 6 cyl. in it that had been rebuilt with a 3 on the tree manual trans. Got rid of it when I left Kentucky (Ft. Knox). Have missed that truck ever since.

13. If you can't have fun in a car like this, well there must be something wrong!!!!!
    -Jesse

Attached Files:

14. NRAJOE

Ha! cool, a redneck hotrod!

15. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I loved the Monte Carlo in the movie "Training Day"...too cool...

16. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Ford,GT-40 for a street car.

17. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

Has anyone seen the new Dodge GT?, I think that's what it is anyway

18. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

A guy here locally has a Hummer Stretch Limo. Now, that's travelling in style!
    A man down the road from me has a nifty El Camino on a 4X4 truck chassis that's pretty cool.