The "What's going on with you now" thread

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JetGirl, Mar 6, 2012.

1. You really need to move! I-85 from Charlotte to Atlanta was built for speed. Long straight stretches, a few hills and long,sweeping curves makes it perfect for Sunday morning speed runs! More than 1 fool has lead police on 100+ mph chases.

I've got 3 more than competent mechanics and 4 late model race shops within 6 miles of me. And J, my tame mechanic, but his schedule is nuts for this kind of build. But you're right. Nothing beats restoring and original except maybe doing the build with modern performance under an original.

neophyte likes this.
  2. Merle

Merle G&G Evangelist

what's weird about it? I'll bet it used to have roto tillers up front, which supported it rather nicely....

neophyte, Huey Rider and Jack Ryan like this.

3. Merle

Merle G&G Evangelist

I'll bet you have no problems with mobs trying to force you to stop!!! :usa:

4. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    If SHTF I could get to where I need be alive in it.

Merle, neophyte and Jaison like this.
  5. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

I'm finally on my way home. I'm in the American Airlines Admiral's Lounge at DFW. I'm on an Alaska ticket but they have reciprocals. Much better than hanging out in the terminal. I am really looking forward to getting home! Although it will be the first time in many years coming home to an empty house.

Wonder how many spiders have moved in in the 38 days I've been gone.:eek:

The training is essentially done, all that is left is the airplane training. That is a minimum of four legs, to include three landings and at least twenty five hours.

The Director of Ops sent a text yesterday saying they are planning to make me a Line Check Airman again.

Rocky7, Merle, neophyte and 5 others like this.
  6. Ya know, sometimes I need to remember not to volunteer for things. Or find somebody who'll remind me not to.

I got a general message on my census phone yesterday afternoon asking for folks who were available to travel if they would consider it. So I called to find out more details about the situation, including when, where and for how long. I already knew I'd probably be going to Alabama since my supervisor had mentioned they were desperate for help.

I was right, they need help in Alabama. The lady I spoke with said I had a choice of either Birmingham or Mobile, really soon and no clue how long, but she would send my contact info to the people in charge and if I was picked they'd call me in the morning. Since I didn't get a call this morning, I figured I didn't make the cut, headed out to do the cases I had and didn't think anything about it other than I'd get my suitcase out just in case.

Guess who's heading out to Tuscaloosa first thing in the morning? Yeah...me. I got an email letting me know I need to be there tomorrow afternoon, my hotel room is booked and paid for, I'm getting paid for my travel time and the mileage both ways, shift differential pay for the hours I work and oh by the way, a $500 bonus for volunteering. I'll be there until the 6th and have no clue if I'm going to be going back.

So...if there's anybody who lives there, I'd love some restaurant recommendations and maybe we can meet up.

Rocky7, Merle, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  7. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Every year, just as the foliage color in my area is hitting peak, we get a rain & blow storm that knocks the leaves off the trees and knocks down power lines.

And sure enough, it started blowing last night. I got up this morning, surfed the net a while and went to hit the shower and go to work. While in the shower, the wind increased ferociously - and knocked out the power (had enough water pressure to finish up). I waited a bit and decided to drive the route our power comes from - just to get a read on how long we would be out of electricity.
    Wind got even stronger. I was about a half mile from the house and half a tree was across the road. Turned around and went back the way I came. And in the span of 15 minutes, several other trees had come down. One pulled down 3 phase power and snapped the phone and fiber optic bundle, and the cable TV lines.
    So I got back to the house and fired up the generator, and figured I would work from home. But no! As rare as it is, the internet was out. Well, a day off then to keep the hatches battened down.
    At one point the wind was gusting so strongly that the tops of some 40 foot tall, skinny birch trees were actually touching ground and bouncing back up. I have never seen that before. Usually they snap or get struck in the down position from snow.

After that, the wind quickly calmed down, rain stopped and sun came out. Power was out only 9 hours this time. Last time was 2 days.

And half the leaves are on the ground. Oh well, it's not like we don't expect it.

Rocky7, Merle, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  8. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

No it is used for plowing mostly

neophyte and Junction15 like this.
  9. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You have a nice find there. It should work pretty well for you.

While it is not exactly what you have there, I have a DR Brush Mower with the push blade attachment.
    It does a pretty good job of pushing the snow around. It would be even better if I put chains on the tires.
    I usually use my snowthrower to clear the driveway but it doesn't like wet sticky snow. The push blade moves that stuff pretty well. I just have to keep the machine moving until I get where I want it to go. Once you stop, that wet snow turns into concrete and won't budge.

I have also used it to scrape my driveway and pushed a load of sand around to make a flat spot for a "bag o'water swimming pool".
    Once you have one, it's surprising how many uses can be found for a push blade.

neophyte likes this.
  10. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I worked 7 days in a row this week.... and it was a loooong busy week. (like 15 hour days for 3 of them.)

Im not doing crap today! But I did get up to fire up the grill to make breakfast!
    I undercooked the eggs a tad... they are a bit too runny for my taste but thats what the breads for.

Bfast.jpg

11. Gun Junkie

Gun Junkie G&G Evangelist

That looks mighty larapin!
    All that's missing is the hashbrowns.

neophyte and TACAV like this.
  12. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

I'm prepping some baby back ribs for the smoker. I'm thinking some mashed sweet 'taters and cole slaw for sides.

13. rando

Maryland
    Oh Man!

Stickman and neophyte like this.
  14. rando

Maryland
    For a change I had two dippy sunny side up eggs myself today. Also a few bacon strips medium cooked and a pot of coffee. The day is well under way.

15. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Bacon (extra crispy), eggs (over medium), toast & coffee, For desert, strawberry danish & more coffee. :p

After cashing out of the Army, we stayed with my wife's folks for a bit while we could get settled in. Her dad cooked breakfast & asked me how I liked my eggs. I told him, white done & yoke runny. He asked me if they were okay & I said they were good. Next morning, they weren't quite as done, but still okay. The 3rd morning, he might as well just cracked them open & put 'em on my plate!:) But, hey, he was buyin' so why would I complain!o_O

shanebrews, Merle, Huey Rider and 5 others like this.
  16. rando

Maryland
    I never liked them too runny either. As a kid my mother would make soft boiled eggs in the shell and use an egg timer or hour glass. She would crack them open and dump out into hash browns, home fries or toast. They were very runny and not too crazy about them back then. Didnt complain or mom would make me nothing

17. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Actually, I ate a lot of raw eggs when I was a kid, trying to put on weight to play football. Didn't work! I went out every year, but too slow, too uncoordinated & too light. I graduated from high school at 135#, soaking wet!:(

shanebrews, Merle, Huey Rider and 2 others like this.
  18. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    I got four persimmon trees this afternoon I've been watching the mailman for. Got those all planted and I'm working on protection from the deer so they don't all get eaten tonight.

Merle, ncnascarlady, Rocky7 and 2 others like this.
  19. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

And after they get grown, guard 'em from the opossums & Jaison.:p

20. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I'm sitting here with what looks like a small pillow on my left forearm. On Tuesday, I burned my arm rather badly taking biscuits out of the oven, ending up with a stretch about 6 inches by 2 1/2 inches burned. Mostly 1st degree, but one stretch about 4 inches by 1 inch second degree. The blisters broke open, and now I have gauze pads, bandaids, Neosporin, and gauze tape on my arm and I am not able to move around much. I have no idea how long I'll have to wear this before it starts to heal.

Jack Ryan, Merle and neophyte like this.