close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The "What's going on with you now" thread

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JetGirl, Mar 6, 2012.

1. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My bride thinks i am a mutant because i cried when the world speed record was broken in the movie the worlds fastest indian.

Moroco Mole and neophyte like this.
  2. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

End of Week 2 with Hailey. We are making some headway. I had a major breakthough with her this week. I picked her up at daycare and brought her home. Before I knew it she had her grammies laptop going watching some kids series about horses. "Uhhhh, did Grammie tell you that you could use her computer?" "Well she let me use it last night." So - what to do? Last time she screeched and screamed when we stopped her. I decided to sit in front of her and had nher make a "pinky promise" She could watch it until suppertime (30 minutes) but when I say, she had to shut it down and come set the table for supper. If you don't, there will be consequences.
    "OK". So later I told her it was time, and she frowned but shut down the PC. But she would not set the table. No way, no how and just smirked at me. Ticked me off but I said nothing and just set the table for her.
    Next day, she went straight to the computer. "Nope! Put it away." "Why?" "Because you didn't keep the pinky promise yesterday" "But I shut it down when you told me to" "Yes you did. But do you remember that you also promised to set the table? You would not do it so I had to"
    A light bulb clicked on and it registered with her, and she didn't give me any trouble. She asked if she could use her coloring books instead.
    The next day, she began helping with setting the table.
    She still has problems with Sherri's authority. Very resentful of her and we are not sure why. But Hailey did tell Sherri that her mom was in jail and it was all her (Hailey's) fault because she told DHHS that her mom beats the dogs. Sherri told her is was most certainly not her fault and that her mom was not in jail, even though the police arrested her. Even got her dad on video chat to tell her that. But his heart wasn't into it because Hailey's mom, his wife, is really on a beach in So. Carolina, vacationing with some guy that is cheating on his wife with her. (Of course we didn't tell Hailey that) What a world we live in. Poor little kid is carrying the world on her shoulders.
    But next week is school vacation and she will be at day care all day. I'll drop her off and pick her up. And she has already made several new friends. In fact, the monitors are impressed because there is another little girl that has made no friends all year long. Hailey has broken the girl's ice and made inseparable friends with her. The adults are duly impressed with her big heart.
    It will be a long road but I think Hailey will be OK.

Cyrano, Moroco Mole, timv and 4 others like this.

3. Merle

Merle G&G Evangelist

I'm hoping for the best here, and God bless you for your efforts.

4. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

I've decided to try my new burris fastfire 3 on my GP100, but I noticed the Weigand mount was warped a bit. The front sight insert that the front of the rail screws into is a bit lower than the rear mount on the frame. It is also a full length rail, so I can't use my holster. I found a good spot for the fastfire right about the rear mounting screw, and I cut the rail one slot ahead of the optic.

I now know I prefer a red dot sight on my GP100 versus a scope. As long as the fastfire holds up to magnum recoil (though I'll run 38's more often), I will finish the cut and make it look nice.. I'll go test it out tomorrow.

5. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

your on the right track.
    I went through hell with my nephew when his step Mom drove something like 800 miles straight through to drop him here.
    she needed a baby sitter as much as he did.
    just make sure the rules are clear and you hold up your part of the deal.
    there is time to fill her in on her mom's behavior later.

one thing I did and you might want to also is to give her a spot [kind of a special spot] somewhere in the living area.
    just something little like a place for some of her books, a few important objects, or a place for a blanket she likes to sit under.
    this places a part of her world in yours, and allows her to be more comfortable in the family area.

6. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Junction15: Sir, commendable; Sir; your prayer warriors are lifting each of you
    Hailey needs you; needs guidance; needs understanding; needs patience; needs rules; and your unconditional love
    We are praying; understanding the road is long; made shorter with your daily strengthened loving ways

7. Congratulations on the breakthrough! I think Hailey will do well with structure, consequences, and rewards, it'll just take time. Right now you're the major influence and Sherri isn't but that'll change with time.

Have you considered making up some kind of plan with Hailey? You may do X, Y, or Z until I call you to do A, B, and / or C before dinner? Failure to follow the plan will result in the loss of whatever it was you were doing the following afternoon. That sort of thing? She'll know exactly what her permissions are, what's expected of her and what the consequences are for not doing it. Somehow I have a feeling she's never had that kind of clearly defined expectations, permissions and consequences but if it's spelled out clearly she'll respond well.

Junction15, Cyrano, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  8. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

We did rewrite our wills recently and signed Powers of
    Attorney to give to our son and granddaughter.

neophyte likes this.
  9. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

pump your brakes before heading down that hill.

if anyone see's a bunch of black Garbage cans marked with a soda springs address, or a Red Coleman canoe with an orange and black rope tied to the end, they are mine.
    give me a call and I will come pick them up.
    I figure they should be headed across Wyoming towards Colorado and should be somewhere around Denver by dark.

I found the boards that got ripped out of the fence and the dog come back home so no worries there.

10. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

I'm afraid that this afternoon was a major relapse. We need some professional assistance to handle this. Sherri right now is bruised and all scratched up. Hailey went nuclear in her truck and even tried to kick out the window. She had to call 911 for assistance.
    And if anyone is wondering - no, we have not done anything physical, nor verbal, other than just what has been needed to keep her safe when she does this. DHHS would have our hides if we did.

Yes we have tried to structure a program of activities to enrich her and keep her busy. Give her choices and time limits. As well as setting reasonable expectations. And it works to the greater extent. I really think there is something much more going on with her. Hate to say that but I raised one granddaughter with ADHD. This is similar but much more "powerful" than that was. We try to identify triggers and avoid them, but there is no pattern we can see just yet. And it's not even the "usual" tantrum - it's a full blown RAGE coming out of her. No one wants to hear it but it's like she is having a "grand moll seizure/temper tantrum" once a day. After that she is fine until next day. No exaggeration, I have never seen such a scary look in anyone's eyes, as I see when she does this. It's spooky.

We are now getting some insight into what Hailey's dad had been living with. (He would still have Hailey if he had not protected his wife for so long - and had not allowed her in the house as the judge had ordered. DHHS laid a lot of blame on him that wasn't his)

ncnascarlady, neophyte and Merle like this.
  11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Had to go to Oncology for my yearly checkup. She informed me it has been five years since my Nasal Pharyngeal cancer, and the next checkup next year it will be five years since they removed some cancerous spots on both kidneys. And that it will probably be my FINAL follow up next year.

HOORAY!

12. austinjoe13

My little brother went through a phase where he had a lot of anger and would blow up. It was like he'd ease into it, and his mom knew to get him home very soon or have a scene in the store.

I'm not big on psychology, and I have never had to study it in school, but I imagine it all has to do with a childhood trauma and not coping with it. Oscar was 7 when our dad died, and his mom has always been a pushover. He did what he wanted, when he wanted, and got mad when we said otherwise. When structure was applied, he got worse for a while. My step mom kept with it, and he has started to come around.

It has taken some time, but he is getting better. I hope Hailey comes around sooner than my brother did. I know how how stressful it is to deal with these outbursts.

13. austinjoe13

I went to the range this morning and tried the new fastfire set up. It seems like it's holding its zero. It handled some Sig 125gr magnum loads pretty well. I zeroed the dot with some light 38's at 25 yards, and I knocked a self-healing target around quite a bit.

Junction15, neophyte and Moroco Mole like this.
  14. aris_unlimited

aris_unlimited G&G Evangelist

Had a crazy night at work last night. For those of you that don't know, I work in a boys facility. A lot of the kids that we have are required to be here by the juvenile justice system.

Had a kid last night that wanted to fight 3 boys at the same time. Apparently, none of them were interested (that's a bonus right there). When they just ignored him and walked away, he decided to take it upon himself to self harm. After we got him stopped, I drew the short straw and had to spend the whole night posted up in the doorway of his room to make sure that he didn't try to hurt himself again. The middle of my shift was ok, as he was sleeping. But the beginning was spent with him trying to irritate the hell out of me, luckily I had headphones lol. The last part of my shift was spent with 1 on 1 supervision with him, where he decided it was time to start whining about being unfairly treated lol. It was a LONG shift.

Luckily, I just got in tonight, and it seems like there's no real issues. So it should be a relatively calm night.

15. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Going to put the kid in cub scouts.
    He's excited and we think it'll be good for him.
    Personally I think him being raised by an all woman household didn't do him any favors.
    Luckily he does like doing guy stuff and is always willing to help me do my projects.
    I want him to grow up being capable of rebuilding a lawnmower engine for instance.
    I think that stuff builds confidence and let's face it.
    Sooner or later so many people are going to have college degrees they won't be worth the paper they are printed on.
    So a person might as well be able to produce something with his hands instead of playing video games

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 6:55 AM
    Junction15, timv, Moroco Mole and 4 others like this.
  16. Laureninnbtx

Laureninnbtx G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Good morning! I just woke, off today for teacher work day, and I have no work to do sooo..relaxing. How is everyone doing?

17. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Laureninnbtx: Ma'am; We are 31* chill :) I will have a lovely morning
    Visiting with "Oakley" (fur baby) I haven't seen her in a month :)
    She's moved to Raliegh

Laureninnbtx likes this.
  18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

As long as he doesn't think he is one of them 49 other genders.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  19. austinjoe13

I'm making Venison Osso Buco today. I just cut the shanks and am letting them thaw now. Of course, my finger just HAD to get bit by the sawzall in the process... It's not my trigger finger, and it's still attached. Just skinned up.

20. Huh? What?

Huh? What? G&G Evangelist

I'm having a "discussion" with someone on another forum concerning British military loading and firing practices around the revolutionary war. I used the British manual of arms for my evidence. He countered with a made for tv movie called Sharpe's company that showed something different than the actual military documentation of the period.

What do you do with someone like that - besides walk away from an obvious idiot?

Merle likes this.