close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

There can be only one

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, May 14, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

:eek: If you could only have one handgun what would it be ?...Why ?:fuss: :eek: :rolleyes:

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My Colt 1911. It's an excellent defensive pistol. It can be modified for superb accuracy. I can fit it with a .22 Conversion for plinking and cheap fun. Parts are readily available, and I can replace anything on this gun myself. It's tough and reliable.

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

My Sig P226. It CAME with superb accuracy and a great trigger. It is as effective as a .357 magnum, according to FBI 1 shot stop statistics, with twice the capacity. It has great internal safeties. It has a nice grip. It is tough and relable.

4. 1911. What other answer could there be?

5. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    1911A1. Has more available parts to trick out or super-tune than any other pistol in the world (just look in a Brownell's catalog). And it is without a doubt the most successful combat handgun in the world. Good Shooting! Eric

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

EVEN THOUGH I AM A BIG .45 AND 1911 FAN I WOULD TAKE MY P 95 DC 9MM IN STAINLESS IF YOUR TALKING SURVIVAL PISTOL. JUST BECAUSE OF CAPACITY AND AVAILIBILITY OF AMMO.

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

If the 1911A1 is as great as people claim, then why is there this HUGE market for upgrade parts? hmmmmm. Sounds a lot like Harleys, to me.

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Uh oh Klaus...You're going to get into some serious hot water over your remark about that overrated, obselete swinging link dinosaur. I know a few World War 2, Korean War & Viet Nam Vets who hated old slabsides and never pass up an opportunity to cuss it.

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Uh, if you reread my post, you should see it is quite critical of the Colt. The point was, that if the 1911A1 is so great, why does everyone have to buy upgrades for it.

10. Its not that the 1911 is that bad its because its that GOOD. Base pistol is great. The 1911 can jump in and out of many categories that other guns cannot. Such as: speed shooting,hunting, carbine rifle capabilty, and the list goes on. No other 2 pistols can be made to do all that the 1911 style can do.

11. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

And besides, you'll notice the Japanese bike companies are all making Harley clones now, too. Why, because they sell.
    The 1911 is the ultimate "build it yourself" pistol. It's good out-of-box, but it can be customized to your preference, and made totally unique. It's to the pistol world what the 10-22 is to .22 rifles.

12. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG G&G Newbie

1911 .45ACP. The primary purpose of a pistol is defense. The 1911 in .45 is probably the best defensive pistol ever made. Reasonably powerful, accurate, reliable, manageable recoil.

13. 1911 without a dought.
    they are well built right out of the box.
    To tweek them out with add on parts you can get sub one inch groups with them at 25 yards not off a bag either.
    Lets see a p226 do that. I have sold alot of them they are a good pistol and well worth thier rep. they are no tack driver though and where never built to be that way nor was the 1911 thats why there are so many after market parts out there. Not because its not a good gun to start with.

14. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

My Glock w/ my M3 tac light affixed to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm crazy about my Kimber, but the Glock has not let me down yet.

15. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

None of the Japanese companies are making Harley clones, unless you are trying to define any V-Twin cruiser motorcycle as a Harley clone. BTW, H-D did not invent the V-Twin.

16. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    You can get a 1911 .45 just like burger king, "any way you want it". You can order them prebuilt with just the options you want. That way, you can have your super-tuned 1911 for competition (IDPA), or even maxed out as a race gun for IPSC. The benefit is you can get an officers model or commander for your carry pistol, and since they are all the basic same design, you'll have muscle memory and won't have to fumble around with putting it into action. It will be second nature. My two-cents. Good Shooting!Eric

17. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I thought there was a whole section of this forum devoted to the 1911 and all of it's fans....where was it ?. Oh yeah , the section that is devoted to military weapons has a subsection entitled 1911 & clones.

18. Ok, so we got off subject alittle. Ok maybe allot.
    I would still stick with my 45.

19. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

If it works for you, then by all means, stick with it. I have my own preferences. This is very subjective. It is a semi free country, anyway.

20. FireStar

FireStar G&G Newbie

My FireStar .40 S&W without a doubt!

The reason I bought the FireStar in the first place is its caliber to frame size. I have short fingers, and up untill the the FireStar came along I was relegated to owning small pocket size pistols in the smaller calibers... (22, 25, 32).

When the FireStar was designed, it was done so that everything was made smaller and more compact... while still offering the availability of either 9mm, .40 S&W or 45 ACP.

Unlike the Colt 1911, (and I'm NOT saying anything bad about it), I found that the distance from the front of the trigger to the rear of the back'strap safety remained the same for the officers model down through the compact.

My FireStar .40 S&W has a much shorter distance... and with my hand/finger size it fits just right.