1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Yea, sad. Overpriced on ALL counts. That Polish M44 is absolutely ruined. Sad.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
the Polish just isn't my style, but after noting your comment about bayonets escaping from M44s I had an even more frightening vision of that sporter stock job WITH the bayonet held in place with hose clamps ... I should shut up and not give Bubba ideas...

Second rifle - WOW - an authentic Russian sporter. Can somebody who knows how to work that translator feature spell out Bubba in the Russian letters?

That poor, poor Remington! On in as good condition as that one must have been before it was messed with is on my bucket list. To see such a beautiful stock "improved" like that just makes me want to cry. What's with that close up of the plugged sling slot - is that supposed to show me how well done this was? I guess the checkering is well done, but AAAGGHH as Charlie Brown would say.

The last one - just your basic stock swap, no permanent damage done - but I DO wonder just who are "they" as in "they must have dripped the bluing".

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
What makes me sad sorta but not much is to go into a Gun shop and find used guns that have been bubbaified and abused.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Saw a $100 sporter M44 chopped in a pawn shop last weekend. I asked the guy why it was so much. He didn't know anything about it, and thought it was a Tula when it was an Izhevsk. Of course, being the nice guy I am politely corrected his mistake explaining the different arsenal marks. He was receptive and mentioned he had one he bought a while ago. At any rate, I certainly passed on that one. I wouldn't have paid more than $35 for it. I'm sure it will still be sitting there next year if they don't drop the price ridiculously.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
When the kid had to shoot Old Yaller.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
That's sad, but it's not our rifle to decide what to do with.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
#2 has the best story, a rare Soviet lend a rifle for hunting:bs2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I nearly cried the other day, as I found a finnish p-26 with a hacked off forend. I also found out my friend hacked off the forend of a mosin I once owned because his friend said it would improve the accuracy. Shame.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm probably going to get flamed, and shot at, for saying this but...the Remington doesn't look all that bad. It appears to have been modified with care.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Yep, that remington was done well. As sad as it is to collector's at the time this was done sporterizing military rifles was the "in" thing to do. I have an 03a3 that my dad had sportered. Well done job but was sportered so bad as to never be able to return to former glory. Beautifully done and a great shooter none the less!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,109 Posts
It's a very well done sporterizing job on that Remington Mosin; but if I had $400 to spend on a hunting rifle in the 7.62 range, that would not be my first choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its my Rifle!

Well I am sure that I am going to get flamed for this but I think it should be said
I paid $60 for a model 44 Polish 4 years ago for the express purpose of having a truck gun,aftermissing several shots at coyotes because the bayonet lug would snag on the case I went to a friend who runs a machine shop and had him remove it( very professional job) I had it reblued and put a flash suppressor on it.I removed the rear sight and put a B-square mount in it place and attached a simmons 2x22 LER in the scout configuration
Had this been a rare or signifcate milsurp I would have treated it as the prize it was.I needed a rifle the was well made,fired a large caliber round and with some effort on my part would eliminate threats to my livestock (coyotes)and threats to local wildlife(feral dogs) out to 300+ yds
I found what I needed in the M/N model 44 but not in its original military configuration and since I paid for it and all the modifications I take a lot of pride in taking a run of the mill 1 of several 100k milsurp rifles that did not serve the purpose I needed it for into a well used and much valued tool around my farm and I am sure that it will be used long after I have joined the long green line.This is in no way meant to insult or disparage those who keep their M/Ns as issued its just that it didn't work for me ELMO

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I am sure that I am going to get flamed for this but I think it should be said
I paid $60 for a model 44 Polish 4 years ago for the express purpose of having a truck gun,aftermissing several shots at coyotes because the bayonet lug would snag on the case I went to a friend who runs a machine shop and had him remove it( very professional job) I had it reblued and put a flash suppressor on it.I removed the rear sight and put a B-square mount in it place and attached a simmons 2x22 LER in the scout configuration
Had this been a rare or signifcate milsurp I would have treated it as the prize it was.I needed a rifle the was well made,fired a large caliber round and with some effort on my part would eliminate threats to my livestock (coyotes)and threats to local wildlife(feral dogs) out to 300+ yds
I found what I needed in the M/N model 44 but not in its original military configuration and since I paid for it and all the modifications I take a lot of pride in taking a run of the mill 1 of several 100k milsurp rifles that did not serve the purpose I needed it for into a well used and much valued tool around my farm and I am sure that it will be used long after I have joined the long green line.This is in no way meant to insult or disparage those who keep their M/Ns as issued its just that it didn't work for me ELMO
In hindsight, why not just get an m38?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts

thats great, turning the run of the mill Mosin into a useful tool, its record of death will grow. cattle are expensive, and 'yotes and feral dogs deserve to die. :147:

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
thats great, turning the run of the mill Mosin into a useful tool, its record of death will grow. cattle are expensive, and 'yotes and feral dogs deserve to die. :147:
I feel that hogs are tasty and I can take as many as I want! Baked smoked, BBQ, Grilled, stewed....yummy.

Coyotes, I must shamefully (almost) admit are the only animal I will harvest and let rot. I will at least throw away a dead mouse or rat. But yotes....unless they are up wind of the house.....rot.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I feel that hogs are tasty and I can take as many as I want! Baked smoked, BBQ, Grilled, stewed....yummy.
Years ago the wife and I went to a large gathering in down state WV and had wild boar that was cooked in ground, you know, covered with dirt. That was the best pork I have ever had, hands down.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The last one - just your basic stock swap, no permanent damage done - but I DO wonder just who are "they" as in "they must have dripped the bluing".
Actually, the barrel has been cut down and one of those big, goofy looking front sights has been put in place.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts