Gun and Game Forum banner

Think twice before you sell or scrap that old Hi-Point!!

Hi-Point 
38K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Mantrid_Brizon 
#1 ·
So, a neighbor who is handicapped shoots a whole lot. He first bought a Hi-Point 9mm about 12 years ago + or -, and it was used when he bought it. He ran thousands upon thousands of rounds through the gun. About two months ago he approached me, (knowing I was on a mission to accumulate a nice large collection of guns quickly) and asked if I was interested. "Sure, what kind of shape is it in?" "Oh, it's still real nice." Okay, so he went and got the gun and brough it by. It was not nice. In fact, It was worn out. I asked anyway, "How much?" and $50.00 was the price. I just happened to have $48.00 in my front pocket so I offered and he took. I shipped the gun to Hi-Point to have the worn parts replaced. Three days ago it returned to my doorstep. I opened the box and pulled out a brand-spanking new 9mm poly frame with all new parts. I shipped a worn out metal frame fit for the scrap pile and got back a new gun and it cost me exactly $11.25 for one way shipping. So I have $59.25 in a brand new Hi-Point 9mm. Is it the most wonderful gun in the world? For the price I paid it sure as heck is! I don't care what the Hi-Point haters say, My less than $60.00 9mm will do as much damage as anybody elses $600.00 9mm. I wasn't a big Hi-Point fan but after this I'm starting to think that while they may not be the best gun on the market they have the best warranty by far. That tells me a whole lot about the value of the gun. For as long as I live and my children and their children, we can own essentially the same gun and shoot it as much as we choose and still have a brand new gun! Who else does that? It's like having a lifetime replacement. Wear it out and they'll ship you a new one or at least refurbish the same one to as good as new condition. WOW! I have to send the 380 I bought in now. Think twice before you sell that old Hi-Point!

See less See more
#3 ·
I have always heard that they definitely have a "no b/s" warranty. I've never owned one but I surely might someday. Never say never...
I'm starting to believe that any gun owner worth his weight it human poo ought to have a Hi-Point! And If I owned Hi-Point, That would be my slogan.

#8 · (Edited)
You are just the kind of person that Hi Point is made for. Someone that wants a cheap gun. Just like most guns they hold their value pretty well.

I think about the "po" people who might live in a crime ridden area and need something for home protection. Of course most of the poor anymore are those that are working. If you are on the dole you probably can afford a new glock.

#9 ·
Makes me feel kinda bad for the poor handicapped guy. If it were me I would give it back to him, just as a nice gesture.

#10 ·
My brother bought a C9, as that is all he could afford.

Shoot good - not as good as my M&P's, but will stop an intruder if need be.

We tried to jam it by rapid fire once. Cheapo shells worked great, but rapid fire on the expenxive home defense rounds jammed a few times. I told him to just get some good hollow points to keep in the mag beside the bed!

#11 · (Edited)
My C9 works great, though the magazines are the things most likely to give you s#!t on a Hi-Point. As far as that goes, I think there is a reason that Hi-Points almost always have bids going in excess of $100.00 USD on GunBroker.com and it isn't because they are cheap. A firearms owner worth his .02 opinion should own one of these guns.

P.S. I would have taken all of the Hi-Points given or offered to me below the NIB cost. At that rate, you are basically stealing a good firearm from them.

#12 ·
Who's the member here that found a burned-up HP carbine in a dumpster or trash pile, sent it in for repair, and they sent him a brand-new one back to replace it? I know it's somebody here, just can't recall his username.

#13 ·
I remember seeing the post from someone who found it in a dumpster. HP builds cheap guns with no apology. If it is broken they will fix it. Always right the first time. Try that with your Taurus, very hit or miss.

I had both the c9 and the JHP45. I like the 45 better than the 9mm. Sold the 9 to someone who needed it more than I did.

My wife has two hp carbines, an old style 9mm and a newer 40. Both shoot excellent. I hand load and the 9 mm will take lead rounds loaded soft enough that they are quieter than a 22 rifle.

Redhed shot an opossum last week with her 40. That gun tasted blood a couple of years ago against a **** who was tearing a hole in the window screen. Pretty neat to shoot from the kitchen into the screen.

#14 ·
I remember seeing the post from someone who found it in a dumpster. HP builds cheap guns with no apology. If it is broken they will fix it. Always right the first time. Try that with your Taurus, very hit or miss.

I had both the c9 and the JHP45. I like the 45 better than the 9mm. Sold the 9 to someone who needed it more than I did.

My wife has two hp carbines, an old style 9mm and a newer 40. Both shoot excellent. I hand load and the 9 mm will take lead rounds loaded soft enough that they are quieter than a 22 rifle.

Redhed shot an opossum last week with her 40. That gun tasted blood a couple of years ago against a **** who was tearing a hole in the window screen. Pretty neat to shoot from the kitchen into the screen.

i'm the guy who found the highpoint carbine in the dump all melted down from a house fire.i sent it in and they sent me a new one with sling and new mags they sure stand by their guns and warranty no matter what.

#15 ·
Who's the member here that found a burned-up HP carbine in a dumpster or trash pile, sent it in for repair, and they sent him a brand-new one back to replace it? I know it's somebody here, just can't recall his username.

the only thing i could make out on the gun was the serial number everything else was just a big blob of melted plasitc they told me to send it to them and they would see what they could do it took them about 3 weeks and i got a new gun sent back to me. that was for huricane katrina the guys house caught fire and burned down so he threw away alot of stuff including his melted down highpoint carbine.

#16 ·
I've shot a couple...don't like the way they feel, look, or balance - but they did shoot.
My nephew owns one and when he and his buddy were shooting reloads through it, a double charge (guessing anyhow) blew the thing apart.
He called customer service and even SAID they were shooting unknown reloads...and Hi-Point still fixed it all. I think he paid $80 for his last summer, but a guy calling our store looking for one said he couldn't find them less than twice that now.

#17 ·
without the barrel being completely blocked i can't see the gun blowing apart . there are some guys on youtube who tried to blow up a highpoint and they blocked the barrel with a bolt and loded up a super hot round and it still held up . the barrel did bulged out but it would have fired again they are some really tough guns for as cheap as they look and as cheap in price as they are.i know mine run ammo through them better than any other guns i own. the best .9mm i own is my little c9 highpoint .

#18 ·
without the barrel being completely blocked i can't see the gun blowing apart . there are some guys on youtube who tried to blow up a highpoint and they blocked the barrel with a bolt and loded up a super hot round and it still held up . the barrel did bulged out but it would have fired again they are some really tough guns for as cheap as they look and as cheap in price as they are.i know mine run ammo through them better than any other guns i own. the best .9mm i own is my little c9 highpoint .
There was no squib. I don't have the pictures anymore, but I can tell you the mag got blown out with the follower being twisted, the slide stop was MIA and so was the trigger. The slide was cracked open and peeled back and mangled.
Similar to this one, but minus the trigger:

#19 ·
I'm not sure if I would ever buy a HiPoint or not. Maybe it would be fun to play with for awhile but then I would be thinking abohut what else I caould have bought with the money.

But as far as reliability goes - I think it was the Guns & Ammo website that had a video of a HiPoint being torture tested. I think it was a C9. They ran it through a lot of mud and sand before it wouldn't shoot anymore. Certainly nothing I would want toi do to any gun I own but it was pretty amazinging. I can't say the video wasn't staged but it didn't seem that way (haven't found it again else I'd post the link).

#20 ·
I'm not sure if I would ever buy a HiPoint or not. Maybe it would be fun to play with for awhile but then I would be thinking abohut what else I caould have bought with the money.

But as far as reliability goes - I think it was the Guns & Ammo website that had a video of a HiPoint being torture tested. I think it was a C9. They ran it through a lot of mud and sand before it wouldn't shoot anymore. Certainly nothing I would want toi do to any gun I own but it was pretty amazinging. I can't say the video wasn't staged but it didn't seem that way (haven't found it again else I'd post the link).
I wouldnt do that to any of my expensive guns.... Thats why I like Hi-Points I dont care if it gets dropped in the mud it will still go. lol.

#21 ·
I like my Hi-Points so much, I actually bought a big bag of spare parts for the C9, even though sending it in is free. I love it thaaaaaaaaaaaaaat much. :yup: Also, I think the Hi-Points are cool/neat looking. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.