Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
520 Posts
I recently bought the M&P 15 Sport II (30 rd. mag) due to the good deal. It's a lot of bang for the buck.

It's for inside and outside range fun. It's accurate and easy to clean. If I scratch it, no one cares.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

Sports equipment Air gun Machine gun Trigger Outdoor recreation

It's my only plastic rifle. All of the others are steel and wood.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
When it comes to opinions on AR rifles and my experience with them I tend to agree with and follow this guy's advice:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a DPMS ORACLE 5.56 and a DPMS ORACLE LR308 and yet, whenever something goes bump in the night, 99% of the time I grab my Marlin 1894 .44 magnum loaded with 10 rounds of full power .44 magnum rounds. I live out in the sticks a bit and have horses, chickens, dogs and most of my neighbors have livestock as well. Where I live, when something goes bump it is probably something on 4 legs, we have bear, cougar, etc, but if it's 2 legged, I have never felt out gunned when carrying a 44 magnum.

With that being said, if the Anifa thugs decided to leave the city and make an assault on us poor defenseless country folks out in the country, I would probably grab one of my plastic rifles. Since I spent my first career getting paid to carry an M16 I feel pretty comfortable with an AR15 in my hands, but I would probably grab the LR308, (AR10), it is locked in the safe with one 25 round magazine in it and a bandoleer carrying 8 25 round magazines hanging off of it. Being retired Army I have a certain affinity toward 7.62 x 51. Hahaha. Whatever the 44 magnum can't handle the 308 should be able to, and since I own four different .308 caliber rifles, I have plenty of 308 ammo.

As a side note, if I lived in the city I wouldn't grab a rifle that can shoot through 3 apartment complexes, lol but out where I live the houses are scattered put quite nicely.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
As a side note, if I lived in the city I wouldn't grab a rifle that can shoot through 3 apartment complexes, lol but out where I live the houses are scattered put quite nicely.
This is very true. In close quarters, there is a lot to be said for a small to medium caliber handgun which I already keep in my bedside drawer. That and an alarm system with no-delay activation.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
When all is said and done.
More is said than... just kidding...I'll have 4 AR-15 firearms and at least one AR-10 with a couple extra uppers.

ANTIFA come out here or where I want to move to?
Muhahahaaa...😈

·
Premium Member
26,925 Posts
I concur with the peeps recommending a pistol caliber lever action for your needs onthepaper...
I formerly had a 20" Rossi M-92 in 357 Magnum that was a good rifle, but I used it in a trade for something I wanted worse at the time.
For your HD usage a 16" carbine would be more suitable.
Currently I have 16" Henry carbines in both 22LR caliber and also 41 Remington Magnum.
That 41 is serious firepower and would work well in a HD/SD mode as would the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 41 Mag. that I have it paired up with.
Calibers such as the 357 Magnum, 45 Colt, 44 Magnum, 44-40, etc would all be suitable choices.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, that turned into a down the rabbit hole experience. The long and short is it's unlawful to possess an AR15 or AR15 "pattern" semiautomatic rifle within Cook County, IL. Notice that I say "possess". I can buy one in an adjacent county, but I cannot have it in my possession within Cook County. If I keep it stored outside of Cook County and never bring it within the boundaries of Cook County I am perfectly legal. There is a long list of prohibited "assault" rifles and their clones along with a definitions of features which make the unlawful (i.e. a 360 barrel guard, magazine with capacity in excess of 10 rounds, telescoping or folding stock and muzzle flash suppressor.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, that turned into a down the rabbit hole experience. The long and short is it's unlawful to possess an AR15 or AR15 "pattern" semiautomatic rifle within Cook County, IL. Notice that I say "possess". I can buy one in an adjacent county, but I cannot have it in my possession within Cook County. If I keep it stored outside of Cook County and never bring it within the boundaries of Cook County I am perfectly legal. There is a long list of prohibited "assault" rifles and their clones along with a definitions of features which make the unlawful (i.e. a 360 barrel guard, magazine with capacity in excess of 10 rounds, telescoping or folding stock and muzzle flash suppressor.
You wouldn’t think that a county with some of the strictest gun laws in the nation would have the crime rate that it does. I mean, restricting guns means less crime, right?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You wouldn’t think that a county with some of the strictest gun laws in the nation would have the crime rate that it does. I mean, restricting guns means less crime, right?
Since stopping crime is the reason for rejecting modernity, wouldn’t restricting use of cell phones and cars, limiting them to landlines and horse drawn buggies, do a lot to hinder crime? No burner phones for drug deals and drive -by shootings would be “clop clop clop boom, boom, boom, clop clop clop”

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I am surprised the OP didn't know this?

Reactions: rangerjd

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am surprised the OP didn't know this?
I run into a lot of politically uninformed people here in Washington state. People who never paid attention to politics before and are now starting to. Had a guy asking me how to buy an AR and when I told him he had to pay to take a class and then there is a 10 day waiting period, once he finds the one he wants. He ask why, and when I explained to him that several years ago it had been voted on, he realized he had voted for it. He thought it was a vote for safe schools so he checked the yes box, not actually knowing what he was voting for.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Good info. Thanks to all. Glad I got those clarifications on the CA compliant rifles. IL isn't too bad except where I live in Cook (Crook) County. Just researched and found the following:
  • Semiautomatic rifles are prohibited.
  • AR or AK pattern receivers are prohibited.
Oddly enough, my local Cabelas is located in Cook County and sells AR and AK patterned rifles and also other semiauto rifles. Perhaps they are legal to sell to non-Cook county residents but I cannot purchase since I live in Cook County. The AR/Semiautomatic rifle prohibition is very puzzling. The statute would also prevent me from buying even a Ruger 10/22. I'll call Cabellas and find out if.

I had a shipment of custom grips for a Browning HiPower clone confiscated once by the Postmaster and returned to the shipper as restricted for purchase in Cook County under the following:
  • No accessory capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand.
This was pretty much an over-reach but it was claimed the parts "could" be fashioned into a fore-end grip.

The AR/Semiautomatic rifle prohibition is very puzzling. I'll call Cabellas and find out if, as a purchaser living in Cook County, I cannot purchase
Tell them you voted for "Beetle Juice" for Mayor and you belong to a "gang".
Problem fixed......

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
No issues here. We point to a gun and show our carry license. We write a personal check, and we are back home in 30 minutes.

I know a bunch of gun owners and none are nothing but honest law abiding citizens. I heard one got a DUI 30 years ago.

I guess those folks from Washington are a tough bunch outlaws? ;)

Reactions: rangerjd

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The OP had his dream squelched by the evil where he lives, sorry about that. On the AR issue, I have mentioned many times that I built two in 300 BLK and liked the round pretty well until I built one in 7,62 x 39 and noticed a big step up in power when fired the cheap Russian and other import rounds in the 150 and 154 grain rounds. Side by side with the 300 with factory 150 grain bullets it is like the difference between a 22 and 22 mag. About 200 feet per second or so. With US made ammo, still better but pretty close.

That said, I just got a flier on a Radical Arms 7.62 x 39 for $479. 99. Anybody interested here is the link.
Radical Firearms - AR762 - Semi-Automatic Rifle - 16" Barrel - 7.62x39mm - 10 Round 7.62 AR Mag - FR16-7.62X39HBAR-15RPR

MPN: FR16-7.62X39HBAR-15RPR | UPC: 816903023011

Rectangle Water Building Gun accessory Fixture

Reactions: Huey Rider
21 - 38 of 38 Posts