Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a Garand, but before I did that I wanted to ask some questions about the CMP. What kind of condition are the service grade rifles in? Also, what is different about the Danish rifles; why are they $100 cheaper?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Geech,

The CMP is the best deal going on Genuine US made M1 rifles.

They are used, they have "been there, done that". Some are in better shape than others. All are parts mixmasters. All have been through 1 or 6 armory rebuilds in the last 50 to 60 years since they were made. Many parts may be original to the rifles manufacture date, but virtually all will have military repl parts on board in few or not so few numbers.

A "service Grade" is inspected and gauged to be in condition to issue to a soldier or marine about to need it in a big way. It will meet USGI armory spec of 4.0 MOA accuracy at 100 yds.

As received from the CMP the rifle may be relatively "dry" and just need a light cleaning, or it may be covered in grease and cosmo and need a full breakdown and solvent scrub before being lubed and reassembled. The wood may be relatively new if it's repl wood, or it may be the original with a lot of dings and oil soaking.

The Danes are US rifles loaned to Denmark in the early 50's then returned to the US when the Danes no longer needed them. These rifles will have Danish and Italian made replacement parts on them, which may include everything except the receiver. Don't worry though, the Danes & Iti's made EXCELLENT M1 parts. The Danes especially made some very accurate barrels.

Re the $100 price difference. Some people dont want foreign made parts on their rifles and the CMP priced them cheaper to enhance saleability as opposed to the all US parts rifles.

To see what the typical CMP rifles are like, go to:
www.swampworks.com/SwampysStuff-Home.html

You can see my entire CMP M1 collection....

Enjoy,
Swampy

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree with Swampy. If you are a "shooter" I would suggest a Dane. If you are new to Garands and want a good rifle to start on, I'd suggest a SA SG. My first SA SG was a 1941 with a near-new stock and all reparked parts fromn late WWII and post-war. An excellent shooter. My second was a 1943 that was mostly correct.

You WON'T go wrong on a CMP M1.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys.

By the way, Swampy, that match rifle in .308 is absolutely beautiful. How much did that set you back?

·
Registered
16 Posts
geech,

If I remember correctly, the following breakdown of expenses was involved in building the IHC Match .308....

CMP M1 $500
Douglas .308 barrel $210
NM sight set $125
Wenig wood set $175
New gas cylinder $75

Shop charge to reparkerize all metal, fit & install sights, glass bed and finish wood, NM trigger job, front end work, etc.... $400

By the time you figure in all the S&H charges both directions it comes in at somewhere between $15 and $1600. Pretty much a bargain for a rifle of that type.

Best regards,
Swampy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Geech,

Order an SA Service Grade or Dane SA Service Grade and it could be as little as 2 weeks.

Order an HRA and it could be up to a year.... though recently they seem to have found a good number of HRA's. Guys report receiving them in as little as 2 months (that's not the norm for them though).

Best regards,
Swampy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts