close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking of a CZ 455 Varmint? Think again

Discussion in 'CZ' started by Purdy, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

I recently acquired a CZ 455 Varmint in .22 LR, hoping to use it to compete in the Dewars matches held weekly at our local gun club. Unfortunately this gun is not accurate enough to compete. I should have done my homework before laying out my scraped together cash for it. Apparently many of the 455 Varmints need quite a bit of "tweaking" to get them to shoot anything like accurate. The particular one I have has been resistant to everything I have tried, eg: Glass bedded action and first 2 inches of barrel, trying different torque of the action screws. Regardless the thing just shoots 1-1/2 to 2 inch groups from the bench at 50 yards. Have tried 6 or 7 brands of ammo and another shooter of proven ability to no avail.

My advice; if you are considering getting a CZ 455 Varmint, do your homework first, otherwise, good luck.

2. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What ammo have you tried?

3. before I went and butchered the gun, I would have called CZ. I bet they would have asked for the gun, and fixed the problem for you. That ahould be a .25-.5" gun with good ammo at 50yds. Hell my Henry lever action shoots 1" groups at 100yds.

4. wow
    i am really suprised
    my 452 varmint is a fantastic shooter
    i dont think i have ever heard a bad thing about those rifles before

5. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

Up date: I sent the gun back to CZ, they had it for 9 weeks then notified me it had been tested and was "satisfactory" what ever that means, and they were returning it to me. I had been warned by an acquaintance that I wouldn't likely get any satisfaction from CZ and he was correct. Any faith I ever had in CZ has evaporated. Never again.

6. GLS_okie

GLS_okie G&G Regular

My CZ 455 Sporter is nasty accurate, far more accurate than I am. Calm day at 50 yards I get 1/2 inch groups with Federal Lightings. Loaned it to a friend who used Ely match rifle and shot 5 five shot groups at 100 yards that averaged 3/8 of an inch.

7. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

That was a Sporter, they aren't as problematic as the Varmint models. (heavy barrels)
    I have a 452 American that will shoot fingernail size groups at 50 yds. from the prone position (using a sling) with Norma TAC ammo.
    I thought (hoped) that the 455 Varmint would do as well or perhaps better. I have found out on other Forums that many if not most Varmint owners have accuracy problems.

GLS_okie likes this.
  8. RustyNut

RustyNut G&G Newbie

MN
    I'm not sure which is worse, a CZ that shoots like that or the fact CZ didn't help out.

Deep13 likes this.
  9. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Weird.. My 453 has always kept me happy... Its favorite round is Aguila Super Extra standard velocity.. That's 5 shots..

[​IMG]

GSFixit, 870shooter1 and texnmidwest like this.
  10. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

11. Paper

I really don't like the rifle. The set trigger feels weird.

12. texnmidwest

If the trigger feels weird you might try adjusting the trigger actuating nut.

Big Dog likes this.
  13. Paper

Worn out long ago.. Threads stripped..

texnmidwest likes this.
  14. texnmidwest

Just as I thought......loose screw.

15. Deep13

Deep13 G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Sorry to hear this. I have a 453 Am. Varmint and a 452FS "Mannlicher," both .22LR. Both are excellent. CZ made them before the 455 came out, so I guess quality and CS has taken a hit.

16. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA
    I wish I could shoot the king of groups you fellows do. No matter what I shoot, my .22, my 5.56, my 7.62x51, or my 7.62x54R, I've only ever had one three shot group that was interlocking holes. Usually I get 1" to 5" depending on whether it's 50 or 100 yards, and what kind of day I'm having. Heck 3-5" at 100 yards makes me really happy though. Practice I guess.

17. Paper

I bet I could get you shooting touching shots in an afternoon.. Relaxation, understanding breathing and heartbeat, and actually thinking about the squeeze and trigger pressure.. As soon as I quit thinking about my finger everything opens up..

This was the first afternoon with a rifle I had just purchased used at a local shop.. Remington 700BDL Varmint in 7mm-08 and Hornady American Whitetail factory loads at 100 yards.. And I don't own a sled but will admit it was off of a couple bags on a nice day.. And anyone could do this with this rifle.. Even Tex.. :)

[​IMG]

And I'm first to admit that this was at 50' but it was January and COLD outside.. This was 5 shots from my Anschutz .22..

[​IMG]

GSFixit likes this.
  18. 5 shots
    [​IMG]

5 shots
    BTW
    this is the smallest group i have ever gotten with any firearm.

[​IMG]

GSFixit likes this.
  19. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA
    Amazing. Yes, I could be taught the techniques, and would love some instruction time. However, I do wonder about the fact that I have constant numbness and tingling in my hands. It's a part of my disability, loss of feeling, loss of dexterity, etc. I can't feel the trigger break. I just have to pull until it hits my shoulder. How important is feeling the trigger?