close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking of buying a Universal. Don't bite my head off.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Full MeTal Jack, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Any thoughts? Iv'e read the universal posts. The one I've put money down on has: Serial # 344XXX, Univesal and patent number on receiver, vented metal handgaurd, threaded barrel, receiver looks like metal not aluminum, no bayo lug, Its guaranteed to fire and feed, cost is $250 plus tax.
    Is this one of those that have no spare parts? Haven't checked to see if the op rod is two peice or welded. Guess I need to inspect the mag box?

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

If it has a single recoil spring,(early),you might be ok. If it has two recoil springs,(late) I'd pass,hard to get parts for and more prone to breakage. However,some work fine. Kind of a crap shoot.

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I believe you can still get parts for a universal from Numrich. But I saw some overrun M1 carbine recievers from springfield or Fulton Armory for sale in Shotgun news just a while ago and the were dirt cheap. I don't remember exactly how much, but I figured up how much to build one with a USGI parts kit and it was well worth it...cheaper than $250. There is nothing wrong with the Universals, I used to own one. I just like the USGI stuff now, goes better with my 'collection'. Good Shooting!

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor