This has got to be the best value on water purification.

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by roadie, Aug 14, 2010.

1. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

You can purify up to 2000 qts of water with one bottle of this stuff, all for about $10...that's not a bad deal at all.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Pure-Disinfectant-Iodine-Crystals/dp/B00068M3HY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1281826411&sr=8-6]Amazon.com: Polar Pure Water Disinfectant With Iodine Crystals: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

2. Never_Evil

Never_Evil G&G Evangelist

Indefinite shelf life and free shipping for $25 or more orders. Buy 3 bottles and be prepared for always having clean water.

If its recommended you drink 8 cups of water a day, and that equals 2 quarts and this cleans 2000 quarts, that is a 1000 days of clean water or just over 2 and a half years. 3 bottles will go about 7 years of clean water for $30.

That is a great find.

Sometimes having fun with numbers shows what reality really looks like.

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I'm not too keen on iodine in my water, but it is one heck of a deal !!

4. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

I have drank iodine purified water for many many years.
    And prefer the tabs, that you drop in your canteen.
    Or for larger amounts.
    Drop in many tabs, in container and shake or stir, & wait.

I do NOT like, the usage instructions for this product.
    As it will only do, up to one gallon at a time.

Read this instruction link
    Polar Pure Water Disinfectant

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  5. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

household bleach does the trick too.

6. I thought that Iodine tabs lost their some of their potency after a year or so.

7. billy

according to that chart
    and the fact that there are 768 teaspoons in a gallon.
    1 gallon bleach= 7680 purified water * starting with clear water
    or
    3840 using cloudy water

8. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

Only a gallon at a time is fine, in a real survival situation you're not going to carry a gallon of bleach, to heavy...you need to be able to carry it on your person or in a pack. Tabs are great, good for redundancy, and even with those you can only do a little at a time. I like this stuff cause it lasts forever, a few bottles will give you water for a very long time and it's not that costly. Ideally, you'd want to be boiling your drinking water and using tabs or the polar pure stuff when you cannot make fire.

9. billy

no but an asprin bottle full would purify a buttload of water.
    it's your money.....

10. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I just get clean water out of the tap at the Marriot.

11. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    At the local dollar store a 1.33 gallon jug of unscented bleach is $2.50.

7680+33%=10214

So, if you purify and drink a gallon of water each day, that's almost 30 years worth of water for $2.50.

12. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    Bleach and baking soda. Those are the two most overlooked things by most preppers. They have a bazillion uses.

13. billy

when i 1st did the math.
    i was thinking
    nah
    that cant be right!
    but it is....

14. Now, will the bleach store in your body from drinking water with it every day?

15. Never_Evil

Never_Evil G&G Evangelist

If you already have a place to go to, then yes a few gallons of bleach on hand will out perform Iodine based purification. If you do not already have a place to go to other than your home, the little bottle of Iodine will be easier to transport. No ONE way is going to be right for everyone, but don't dismiss a good idea because you think another one is better.

@ the Mariott?? I won't say it can't happen, but good luck getting a room.

16. billy

they use bleach too?

17. billy

what about the iodine?

18. I drank iodinized water for five weeks while I was in Thailand when we were too far out to get bottled water. Its been a while, and I can't remember what, but I want to say we dropped tums or charcoal or something in the bottles with the iodine to mitigate the taste. It worked.... somewhat. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It'd make the iodine "fall out" of the water.

19. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

That fact about bleach is that it's heavy. I was originally talking about a situation where you are maybe on the move, not in one place, self reliance, yadda yadda. There is no way in heck anyone is going to carry a gallon jug of bleach around in their pack. Plus, bleach does nothing for chemical pollutants so a good filter is a must have regardless. Now carrying a small container of a few oz's of bleach may be a good idea, but it can spill, plus then you have to have an eye dropper, and those are fragile, is a fragile item a good thing to rely on in a survival situation. The polar pure is dry inside, used when you need it, same for tabs, use as needed. Water purification implements in my opinion are an absolute last resort, filter then boil should always be the first choice if it can be done, save your purifiers for when you really need them.