close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This is a little confusing.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Waltherppk, May 15, 2002.

1. Waltherppk

Waltherppk G&G Newbie

Well, I've seen AR-15's on the television and at gun shows but I've never really looked into them. Just the other day I was looking at them and found that I was quite fond of them. I dont know that much about them. I've heard you guys talking apout uppers and lowers and H-BAR and 1,2,3 and so on but that doesn't make a bit of sense to me. All I know is that I want a pre-ban that shoots semi-auto, full-auto, and bursts. I really don't know anything about anything else.I DO want a Colt. Please fill me in on all of this upper, lower,H-BAR,1,2,3, and if it's even possible to get one with the functions i listed above. I really appreciate you all for your time.

Last edited: May 15, 2002
  2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

The upper is the barrel, bolt, bolt carrier,fore end and sight/handle assembly...The lower is the reciever, trigger group, buttstock and magazine well..Hbar is short for heavy barrel. The semiauto version makes up the vast bulk of what we discuss.
    3 round burst & full automatic are Class 3 weapons that are heavily licensed. if you own one illegally it is a felony punishable ny a minimum mandatory sentence of 5 years in the federal penitentiary.
    You could buy a Class 3 weapon but the application costs $200 and the license takes at least 6 months to receive.
    Then the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms no longer needs a search warrant to visit your home if a violent crime is committed in your area with a weapon like the one in your possession. I just steer clear of Class 3 alltogether.

3. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

While the full autos are available, they are usually in the neighborhood of $5000.00. Full auto is hard to control, the 3 round burst is not bad, but not nearly worth the price, hassle, etc. The upper is the top half. Barrel, bolt, etc. You can buy an upper anywhere without an FFL. The lower is the reciever, the part they consider a gun, and the part the BATF controls. HBAR is simply a heavy barrel. Great for shooting, but they suck to carry for a long ways or hold on target for a long period of time. Usually uppers and lowers can be swapped without too much hassle, so you can buy 1 lower, put a flat top, scoped HBAR top on it for prarie dogs, then swap it with a 16" iron sighted standard weight barrel to take to Thunder Ranch. Colt is worth looking at, but don't ignore Bushmaster and some of the others, they make some quality firearms as well.

4. Waltherppk

Waltherppk G&G Newbie

Thanks. I did'nt really think that it would be easy to get that 3-round stuff. I know about Class 3 . I'm not getting it, just wondering if they really made it. It would be really neat to own but I really want to get just the semi-auto .I've looked at bushmaster and they look the same.The next thing I need to do is just convince my mother that it is not a "kill people gun" as she titles everything that isn't a BB gun.I hope I can get one this summer. I'm thinking about hunting varmint, but I'm mostly into just plinking and target right now. I was going to enter a contest in Autumn....is bushmaster a good accuracy weapon?Or is Colt really woth the money... I'm interested in saving money.....but if I get one i want one thats really good....not just sart of good...but still a gun.Thats a waste of money. I'm leaning more to Bushmaster. Can you give me some price ranges for a new one?:assult: :nod: :assult: :nod: :assult: :nod:

5. Waltherppk

Waltherppk G&G Newbie

P.S. ....as you can tell my mom hates guns and thinks our .22's are the devil...we havent let her see the 270 or anything like that yet...i think she thinks .22's are the biggest guns go.hah:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Buy her a Yugo M-48 8mm. Or better yet, a Hakim.

7. Waltherppk

Waltherppk G&G Newbie

what are the prices?:D :D