Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847333681 the basis is, a seller takes in a gun and know nothing about it..they list it as a rare stainless steel Beretta 70S...only thing is Beretta never made a 70S in stainless, the suffix S denotes carbon steel, it is hard chrome. Buyers...do your research; if an Italian firearm is said to be stainless it will be called "inox" which means inossidabile or unable to rust. I have yet to see a stainless Beretta listed that was not labeled "Inox", if it was indeed. Stainless has a feel that is different from a plated gun as well... oh, well. I hate seeing people pay too much for something that is not correctly listed but then again " caviat emptor".... I guess...be careful out there!

·
Registered
20,002 Posts
What really kills me is people bringing me guns that they "know the value of" because some moron on Gunbroker listed it with an outlandish price.

Someone came in a few weeks ago with a sportered Carcano and wanted to sell it to me for $500 because they had seen a listing on Gunbroker for one at that price - a listing that was a re-up, had never gotten a single bid, and which had been online the maximum amount of time allowed.

I then showed them several completely un-boogered ones on Gunbroker ending within a few minutes, WITH BIDS, that maxed out in the $175 range. Even some of the rarer ones usually top out in the $400 range.

The same goes for misidentified Smith revolvers. Someone sees a 17 Masterpiece, or Model 29 on Gunbroker and suddenly decides their beat up Model 36 with a cut-down barrel and is worth close to a grand without realizing how very different those models are.

·
Registered
20,002 Posts
Great post Pale! Often those prices are "hopeful" or seller is hoping for a bidding war. I sometimes check Gunbroker for guns I currently own and admit prices sound great but I know I would probably get less putting them on consignment at a LGS. Have noticed many guns lately with 0 bids.
We have a Blue Book subscription here at the store. I highly recommend it. That said, there are times when the Blue Book is either very high or very low - the latter especially with surplus military rifles.

For years after SKS rifles had pretty much universally hit the $400 range, BB still listed them at $250. Now BB has caught up on the SKS rifles.

When Post 1926 SMLE rifles had pretty much universally hit the $400 to $600 mark BB still had them around $300. Then it is like BB overcompensated and now some of the same rifles you can still get in the sub-$600 range are listed as being in the $800 to $100 range.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Yeah I should get a new edition myself. My Bluebook is from 99!! Glad they have included a milsurp section in the newer edition. Guess gun values can vary from one location to the next of course. Often in my area am surprised some of the older hunting guns do not sell for more than they do such as a Model 870 Wingmaster or an 1100. Like to frequently browse the used stuff lately. Often a bit more quality for your money way back in the 70s-80s

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've given up on gun broker altogether. Never been able to find a good deal or even a fair deal. Everything I see is bidded up to more than it's worth to start with. Then, you figure in up to $45 shipping, 3% credit card and $25 ffl or more. Unless your looking for something "special" that you are willing to over pay for. Just not worth it.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I've given up on gun broker altogether. Never been able to find a good deal or even a fair deal. Everything I see is bidded up to more than it's worth to start with. Then, you figure in up to $45 shipping, 3% credit card and $25 ffl or more. Unless your looking for something "special" that you are willing to over pay for. Just not worth it.
Right now, it's a SELLER'S MARKET!

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Correct Ten Man!! Just sold one to an LGS near me. Only a 22 magnum with scope but they were happy to get it. Told him I did not need it since I bought a Ruger American compact in 22 mag. Told me I was lucky to have bought it 4 years back as that model is hard to get now.

·
Registered
20,002 Posts
The trick is to misspell and "fumble finger" your typing, or type in a marking you know will be on the gun, but that has nothing to do with the name or model. The only good deals I have ever gotten were on guns that had been listed with a misspelled name - same goes for a lot of other eBay and Shopgoodwill.com finds through the years.

I have found great deals on a Reminfton, a Renmington, a Steyer, a Caracano, a "RIF rifle, possibly 30-06" (in reality a Royal Ishapore MKIII Enfield in .303), a Mouser, and several Smith revolvers where people thought the index number or serial number was the model.

·
Premium Member
24,519 Posts
Good Deals are where you find them, and that can include the auction sites such as Gunbroker and several others. Specifically on Gunbroker I log in, click on the "Advanced" tab and then I click on "Completed Items" tab. Then in the "search box" I put very short and very specific descriptions for what I'm looking for. If you want to find a CZ 75 BD and you use broad descriptions such as "9mm high capacity CZ pistol" you'll get a plethora of listing for Sig, S&W, H&K, Taurus etc in addition to numerous CZ pistols of other models. Just put CZ 75 BD and most of what it pulls up will be items that you are interested in. You can then peruse that more specific list to see what they have sold for and determine if they were new, used, gunsmith specials, etc. You can also see which ones sold, how much they sold for, how many bids, etc. Many of those "completed items" will have had cosmetically high reserves and consequently didn't get any bids or didn't meet the reserve. That will give you some fairly accurate guidelines about how to bid, but blanket statements that you cannot get a good deal on Gunbroker are patently false.
If you aren't interested in a competitive bid auction you can have it select items with a "Buy It Now" price.

After ascertaining what current value ranges might be you can then click on the tab that says "Current Items" and put your specific search criteria in the search box.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Hoping this month more folks will be bringing more guns to my local LGS for sale or trade. Owner told me of an estate sale where he scored 2 1100s and an 870 in 16 gauge. All were gone in 2 days. Ask him to call me if a 870 in 20 comes through the door. An od Wingmaster of course.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
On Gunbroker, cheap Mosin Nagant's are a thing of the past. Just looked recently, man...$300 on up on average. Same goes for most Mausers and Enfields. Glad I got mine when they were still reasonable.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Yep spotted a couple Mosins at the store other day. Both were priced around $350 or more. Not familiar with variations but nothing cheap anymore. Sure am glad to have inherited dad's 98k. Let's not even get started on prices they are bringing!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This thread started before the plandemic...prices were reasonable. I was saying uninformed sellers and buyers were a double whammy! Today..I did buy my S&W M30-1 during theis and it was absolutely reasonable...today I went to the LGS just to see some folks and the shelves are not bare. Prices are not anything that I would entertain, but if you want...there it is. Ammo was light losta 20ga, some 12ga, most calibers available but much more expensive...I bought a Taurus 856 2"bbl before the storm and it was $229 + transfer. They had one in the store today it was $379..
I saw 9mm defense ammo for 45/bx....

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Wow $45 a box for 9MM. The Hornady Critical Defense 22 magnum at $18.99 was bad enough. Shotgun deer starts Monday here in Ma. but suppose to be lousy with rain. If I head to BassPro Shop I can check things out and bet it will be a scary report.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've seen around me $30 box of 20 rounds of defense loads. Also, on Youtube, there is many videos of people taking at gunshows, most ammo there is going a dollar a round. Now that's spendy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well my slogan is "Buy Before Biden" Bet he will try a big tax on ammo.
It won’t be just the tax that will be the problem... the entire economy will stagnate and money for ammo will be needed just to survive

Reactions: shanebrews

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm glad that I have more firearm's and ammo / reloading supplies than I should ever need in this lifetime.
I should have enough spare parts stocked up in case something breaks on most of them, as well as plenty of magazines for every gun that uses them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts