Gun and Game Forum banner

This might be a stupid question, but...

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Commander 
#1 ·
I am planning on an outting this weekend to a 4x4 trail to do some camping. It is on National Forest Land. There isn't any campgrounds, but camping is allowed along the trail.

Do I need a National Park Permit to camp in a National Forest?

I am not aware that I need one, but just want to be sure before getting ticketed by a wandering ranger.

#4 · (Edited)
National Forest? Requires you to camp in designated campgrounds in most circumstances, they give out the permits at the campground. But it's a completely different system that the National Park system, and you do not need a National Park sticker

Edit: Based on info found at link below, I think I'm wrong about having to camp in a developed camp ground. https://sites.google.com/a/theshawn...nal-forest/home/national-forest-camping-rules

#6 ·
"Dispersed campimg", not on established campgrounds, is allowed in many areas. Here, we can do it except during hunting season - it ain't safe when all the bubbas are ahuntin' deer...... :147:
You should have a state website for your national forests, or check in at the ranger station - they should have maps and a list of rules&regs.

#7 · (Edited)
Dispersed camping is allowed along most of the 4x4 trails here in Colorado, that I do know, and I have seen people camping along this particular trail the few times I have gone there for some wheeling over the years. But, I wasn't sure if a permit to camp was required.

However, I think I found it.

According to this:

Region 2 - FAQ's

(It is about 1/10 the way down the page under: "Do I need a permit to use the National Forest? When? How do I get one?")

You WILL need a permit IF:
- You plan to remove any forest products such as firewood, poles, ferns, rocks;
- You plan to use the National Forest land for camping for an extended period of time (usually more than 14 days);
- You plan to use the National Forest for any type of profit or commercial use, such as outfitting or guiding
So to me, it says I don't need one, as I only plan to be out 2 days.

#9 · (Edited)
yes. here in the San Bernardino National Forest you need a 'Forest Adventure' Pass. If you're a senior, 62 and older, you can get a Lifetime pass for $10. Otherwise it's like $30/year. It's a "National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass". Gets you into the National Parks as well and half-price on campgrounds.

It's also needed for parking at trailheads, etc.

Yeah, it's public land, but I figure it's my contribution to rangers, fire people, and assorted park personnel. They aren't paid by magic, despite what BoBo says.

Don't do it and you can get a ticket.

This is different than a camping permit, but you might get 1/2 off the permit with this pass. I still have to pay the camp fees, if there is one. I actually even put the money in 'envelope' only campgrounds. At 'Horse Springs' campground it's envelope-on-your-honor system. They ask for $10/day but there is a spot for your Pass number and then just put in $5/day. They do come around occasionally (but not every time I've been there) and check to see your stub clipped to a post at the camp site.

Pull your weight!

#11 ·
You WILL need a permit IF:
- You plan to remove any forest products such as firewood, poles, ferns, rocks;
So to me, it says I don't need one, as I only plan to be out 2 days.

As I see it you will.... even IF you bring firewood with you or don't plan to burn any... There is ALWAYS that DAMN ROCK that happens to be in the middle of every spot flat enough to put down a sleeping bag.

(I think they plant them there)

#12 ·
As I see it you will.... even IF you bring firewood with you or don't plan to burn any... There is ALWAYS that DAMN ROCK that happens to be in the middle of every spot flat enough to put down a sleeping bag.

(I think they plant them there)
From reading, when they say "remove," I think they mean load it up and take it out of the forest. Other parts say you can use downed wood (non living plants) for fires without a permit.

#13 ·
From reading, when they say "remove," I think they mean load it up and take it out of the forest. Other parts say you can use downed wood (non living plants) for fires without a permit.

OK, just me thinking again.... I guess I'll stop while I'm behind. LOL

So if you don't take it with you, you're alright... Makes a little more sense to me this way.

#14 ·
Anyone that wants to camp or hunt public lands really needs to call the officials. Seriously. I email or leave voice mails at BLM, fish and game, fire control and they respond in a day or so. Their responses show me that the understand that this land is for our use and their use. They want us to be out there in other words. I normally go out and have fun and report by email with my findings. In return, I have done them a service and they show it by responding the next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.