Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I shot the Sow above 18 May 2020 with my Ruger 10/22 Rifle from 75 yards dropping her with a single head shot .

In the same spot on the 20 May 2021 I shot these two Boar delivering a 22 LR 40 grain CCI Velocitor Bullet to each of their skulls from 50 yards.
all this pork was taken to the butcher and all the processed meat given to a local food bank to feed the needy. Since August 2020 I have killed well over 400 Hogs and none of the meat went to waste .Over 150 of them were taken with a Ruger 10/22 Rifle and some of those were 200 & 300 Pound Boar .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Can't beat that. Shootin for a needy cause!
Thank You I have been a Nuisance Wild Life Control Operator specializing in the Eradication of Feral Hogs & Coyotes for the past 20 years. Coyotes and varmints are cremated in burn barrels as not to spread diseases to other animals or people. The Hogs are all butchered and the meat is processed & vacuumed Packed and goes to the local food banks and church ministries food pantry's to feed the needy the only thing paid for is the processing fee for the butcher.

I shot this young Coyote with the .357 magnum Rifle 180 grain cast lead gas checked Keith Flat point bullet was a little over kill , I prefer the Ruger 10 / 22 out to 100 Yards. Not as much blood. This Coyote was after a young Horse injuring it with several bites to its rear legs , The Horse was taken to the Vet where the bill was upwards of $800.00 Bucks.

Registered
Thank You I have been a Nuisance Wild Life Control Operator specializing in the Eradication of Feral Hogs & Coyotes for the past 20 years. Coyotes and varmints are cremated in burn barrels as not to spread diseases to other animals or people. The Hogs are all butchered and the meat is processed & vacuumed Packed and goes to the local food banks and church ministries food pantry's to feed the needy the only thing paid for is the processing fee for the butcher.

I shot this young Coyote with the .357 magnum Rifle 180 grain cast lead gas checked Keith Flat point bullet was a little over kill , I prefer the Ruger 10 / 22 out to 100 Yards. Not as much blood. This Coyote was after a young Horse injuring it with several bites to its rear legs , The Horse was taken to the Vet where the bill was upwards of $800.00 Bucks.
quite an ambitious( or hungry?) little guy going after a horse!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quite an ambitious( or hungry?) little guy going after a horse!
He was doing what other coyotes are doing in the area. One place 30 small goats were killed and not one was eaten they were just chased down and killed by a pack of 15 .I also pulled the root on the entire pack eliminating them in about 3 days

Reactions: neophyte

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What dictates or influences whether you use a 10/22 or something else? and what is the next most common caliber/ platform used?

I feel like I would find myself using an AR platform, but do not have the experience you do.
I use the 10 /22 where I am close in to Dwellings, Barns , Farm Animals , Farm Equipment and Machinery , Aircraft etc.. When I am doing crop protection in fields I use the AR-15 the .223 /5.56 cleans the Hogs plow in a place where you don't have to be worried about a stray round injuring an animal in a pasture or damaging equipment most of the time I am sitting atop a 25" tree stand .75yards from a feeder with night vision I am always off the ground or using the Boar Buster Coral trap and I don't go out unless I have captured a Sounder of Hogs the trap sends me a text message alerting me of activity and I look at my cell phone real time deciding if and when I want to drop the trap remotely from my phone. I have caught 30 Hogs at once in the past ,I also dispatch captured Hogs with a .22 LR starting with the largest Hogs first and working my way to the smallest The Hogs are removed and the trap is relocated to an alternate feeder site where Hog are feeding at and start over again until no pigs are left on the property , I have some customers who have not had a Hog on their property in five years , Coyotes close in I use a rabbit decoy and electronic call I use a 25' Ladder to get my scent off the ground and the call and decoy is located about 25 yards from the ladder the decoy is covered with cotton tail scent I use the 10 /22 or if in a field with the farm animals removed from the pasture I use the AR-15 with Night Vision . The .22 LR is very efficient at killing Hogs & Coyotes I prefer the CCI 40 grain Velocitor copper plated hollow point at 1435 FPS it hits very hard penetrants deep and makes a clean kill . I like the 50 grain ballistic tip in the .223 for Coyotes and the 77 Grain Hollow Point on Hogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.