close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This year's hunting stats!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BenP, Aug 12, 2002.

1. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Okay folks, what are you're hunting plans this year?

What type critters?

What type weapons/loads?

Whereabouts?

How much you planning on spending?

How long you planning on taking?

For me, its early October (two weekends) for 3 point Muley bucks in the dryland wheatfields of eastern Washington. I'll be taking my 13 year old daughter out muzzleloading for the first time this year. She'll be shooting 250 grain maxies and I'll be using 370 grainers, both in 50 cal. We're both gonna use 90 grains of that new 777 hodgdon black powder substitute. It's been working real good at the range.

End of October is a full 7 days of Modern Firearm Elk season in the eastern Cascades just north of Ellensburg, spikes only. I'll be packing my 44 mag Ruger SRH revolver with 300 grain JSP loads, or my 7mm mag browning A-Bolt Stainless BOSS with 170 gr Nosler ballistic tips or scirrocos. That'll be elk camp in the snow and I'll be camp cook as well, but that's the kinda stuff I like.

Back out to the wheat fields with the muzzleloaders the weekend of Thanksgiving if we struck out earlier. Of course, we'll have a couple weekends from mid September to December for upland bird hunting if we can actually find a spot with birds in it. I'll either have my Mossberg 500 or one of the new Charles Daly semi auto 12 ga. Steelhead and salmon fishing on the Columbia ought to take up any remaining free time I'll have.

I figure it'll cost me about $2,000 more or less. The kid surprisingly doesn't add that much more to the overall cost. I should get about 20-25 days of good hunting time in, and maybe a few days in the boat draggin' line.

I hope I get a freezer full of meat, and some new buckskin.

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    The three D's: Dove, Deer, Duck.
    How about this for Deer Season: We, in my county in Alabama, are going to have a limit of 222 (two-hundre-twenty-two) deer, per person for the season. The season is open for 111 days. You can kill two per day per person (one of which must be a doe/antlerless). We don't use tags, so the law is really just two per person in possesion. If you were so inclined, you could shoot two, take them home and go back and do it again.

You think we got alot of deer or what?

I'm using a 7mm Mauser with my own loads. It does just fine.

Non-resident licenses are pretty cheap, come on down!

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Teach everyone you can to hunt! We lose good people every year. We must be the keepers of freedom and the love of the outdoors.

4. Man that sounds like great times--but only past memories.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I'm gonna try my d a m n est to get out there and do rabbit, squirrel,pheasant at least. I don't know about the rest.

6. Mule deer--Chama New Mex. Bow hunting-havelina-Aransas Pass Texas. Dove-desert country in N.M. Duck-gulf coast Texas. Squirrel-East texas. Man those were the days.

7. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

okay lets see here is my calander

Sept 28th through October 28th Whitetail BOW on my land

Nov 2nd through 10th Elk (Spike Only General season) - desolation unit - North Eastern Oregon

November 14th through 20th - Whitetail Muzzle loader - again my land

November 21st through December 8th - Whitetail Rifle my land

December 9th & 10th - Wild Boar/Bear Hunting with Dogs - Guided

December 17th through Jan 10th - Whitetail Rifle my land

8. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Dove starts Sept. will hunt 'em in my front yard.
    Deer bow starts mid Oct. - will hunt own land.
    Pheasant/Quail start first of Nov. will hunt 'em anywhere they are, mostly own land but will travel for pheasant, western Kansass.
    Then deer firearm starts in early Dec. and runs for two weeks with an extra January season for antlerless only for one more week.

Won't spend alot, I try to be as frugal as possible. Gas will probably be the biggest expense, will go out to western kansass to hunt pheasant, everything else will be taken on my land or on nieghbors.

Almost forgot about Turkey - heard of a great turkey trap - (you all probably already know about it) - take a 55 gallon drum (empty) with a lid and pile cracked corn on the lid - keep a good pile of corn onthe lid for about two weeks - then remove the lid - the turkeys jump in but they can't move thier wings enough to jump out of the drum!!! kinda illegal - but then it ain't illegal until you get caught! Just yoking ya - we caught them for a relocation program - didn't get any inthe freezer that way, but got a nice Tom the old shotgun way!!!!