Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately im really considering buying a Sig Rome5 RDS. Currently on my AR im running a Burris ar-332 3x prism sight. its a great piece of kit, very clear/crisp and good FOV out to what I consider the maximum practical range of the carbine its paired with. I figured if it needed to use it for close up stuff i could just remove the optic and use the BUIS.

Lately however im starting to think that it might be better to go with an RDS/ Carbine for up close( home defense) and then simply slap the Burris( or maybe a 2-7x) on when I go out into the countryside and might need the longer range. I have been working with the philosophy that my pistol was my main HD but im starting to like the idea of keeping my carbine nearby and using that my primary HD weapon. I live in a pretty urban setting and IF it were ever needed most shots wouldn't be more than 1-200 yards if that, in reality mostly probably closer to 5-50 yrds. now 5-10 yards one could argue a handgun is better, more maneuverable, but there is a lot of benefits to a rifle from even just 25 yards out. So, this is where I think that the RDS/ carbine might be a better solution than the handgun or AR with irons, esp at night, it might be hard for me to get a good sight picture with the Irons. This is specifically regarding a ar-15 m4 style carbine, however the other thing to consider is if budget allows im going to try to build an ar-9 pistol so then i could throw the RDS on that and make the carbine a dedicated mid- long range rifle. so many choices..

I've done alot of research and this RDS seems to me to give the best bang for buck value, look guys i know that aim points or whatever are better, but I just cant spend $300+ on something I really dont need right now, I'm honestly resisting the urge to buy one of the cheapo $35 ones off amazon just to test out. but I think that I will like it and the $100-$120 they want for the sig is worth it.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/romeo5-1x20-mm-tread.html

oh one more thought, I am NOT a fan of using an RDS and a magnifier, i see the value proposition of being able to have true 1x rds and then flip up to 3x for longer range, but i just cant stand the extra weight and having that much stuff on my rifle, especially stuff that moves..

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other thing I've always kinda considered is the 1-4 or 1-6x option, however these tend to be much larger and heavier, and have a small FOV/ reticle. also i dont think i can get a decent one for a low price like i can with an RDS.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
For home defense, think about overpenetration. Do you have kids? Close neighbors? The pistol carbine sounds like a better idea for home. I have a “reflex” red dot on my AR, and it’s practically cheating for short to mid range.

·
Super Moderator
16,827 Posts
For home defense, think about overpenetration. Do you have kids? Close neighbors? The pistol carbine sounds like a better idea for home. I have a “reflex” red dot on my AR, and it’s practically cheating for short to mid range.

The pistol rounds will over penetrate far more than the 5.56/.223 will.

12g is the worst for over penetration through interior walls, pistol calibers are 2nd worse (pistol rounds out of longer barrels even more worse due to the higher muzzle velocity) and .223/5.56 is the best out of those options.

The heaver pistol rounds (9mm/.40/45ACP etc), hollowpoint or ball maintain their mass and keep trucking on through while the super high velocity .223/5.56 tend to fragment after passing through the first couple layers of interior walls.

That's another reason (out of many) why SWAT teams ditched pistol caliber subguns and went to short barreled AR15 type carbines.

Plenty of ballistic testing from the FBI and many others that repeatedly confirms this.

So lately im really considering buying a Sig Rome5 RDS. Currently on my AR im running a Burris ar-332 3x prism sight. its a great piece of kit, very clear/crisp and good FOV out to what I consider the maximum practical range of the carbine its paired with. I figured if it needed to use it for close up stuff i could just remove the optic and use the BUIS.

Lately however im starting to think that it might be better to go with an RDS/ Carbine for up close( home defense) and then simply slap the Burris( or maybe a 2-7x) on when I go out into the countryside and might need the longer range. I have been working with the philosophy that my pistol was my main HD but im starting to like the idea of keeping my carbine nearby and using that my primary HD weapon. I live in a pretty urban setting and IF it were ever needed most shots wouldn't be more than 1-200 yards if that, in reality mostly probably closer to 5-50 yrds. now 5-10 yards one could argue a handgun is better, more maneuverable, but there is a lot of benefits to a rifle from even just 25 yards out. So, this is where I think that the RDS/ carbine might be a better solution than the handgun or AR with irons, esp at night, it might be hard for me to get a good sight picture with the Irons. This is specifically regarding a ar-15 m4 style carbine, however the other thing to consider is if budget allows im going to try to build an ar-9 pistol so then i could throw the RDS on that and make the carbine a dedicated mid- long range rifle. so many choices..

I've done alot of research and this RDS seems to me to give the best bang for buck value, look guys i know that aim points or whatever are better, but I just cant spend $300+ on something I really dont need right now, I'm honestly resisting the urge to buy one of the cheapo $35 ones off amazon just to test out. but I think that I will like it and the $100-$120 they want for the sig is worth it.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/romeo5-1x20-mm-tread.html

oh one more thought, I am NOT a fan of using an RDS and a magnifier, i see the value proposition of being able to have true 1x rds and then flip up to 3x for longer range, but i just cant stand the extra weight and having that much stuff on my rifle, especially stuff that moves..
If you are on a budget.

Either Sig Red dots (their newer stuff that has come out in the past couple of years) should be good to go, or the Vortex Red dots. The Vortex have a better warranty and you can find red dots made by them for at or under your $300 budget.

Primary arms or Holosun also might be some decent budget but still good options as well.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
follow up question, my carbine has a standard F FSP. Im pretty sure that with this particular RDS it will co witness with the FSP, does anyone have opinnions on that? ive read some people say they dont like it because you can see both the FSP and the dot and if they arent lined up perfectly it could throw you off. I feel like it would be easy to focus on the dot over the FSP. i think im just going to order it and if i dont like it amazon will probably let me return it.

Im really thinking it would be beneficial in a nightime situation were i wouldnt even really see the FSP very well anyways. anyways, all input appreciated.

this whole thing quickly snowballs. i start thinking that i want a longer handguard and a low profile gas block, but then im like well might as well get a new upper, then i think well i might as well get a 18" hbar SPR type like ive been wanting, but then im still left with the RDS and FSP on the lighter carbine..... !!! ughh
when is it my turn to win the lotto??!?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
follow up question, my carbine has a standard F FSP. Im pretty sure that with this particular RDS it will co witness with the FSP, does anyone have opinnions on that? ive read some people say they dont like it because you can see both the FSP and the dot and if they arent lined up perfectly it could throw you off. I feel like it would be easy to focus on the dot over the FSP. i think im just going to order it and if i dont like it amazon will probably let me return it.

Im really thinking it would be beneficial in a nightime situation were i wouldnt even really see the FSP very well anyways. anyways, all input appreciated.

this whole thing quickly snowballs. i start thinking that i want a longer handguard and a low profile gas block, but then im like well might as well get a new upper, then i think well i might as well get a 18" hbar SPR type like ive been wanting, but then im still left with the RDS and FSP on the lighter carbine..... !!! ughh

I just went through selecting a red dot for my 8” 9mm upper. I’ve tried a handful of $35 and $50 red dots in the past with limited success. Long story short, after speaking with people with more experience than myself I bought the 2 moa Sig Romeo you are looking at. They were, and may still be, $100 at palmetto and amazon both.

So far it’s a very nice red dot. I left my flip up front site on for a while and found it to be a helpful co-witness mark. I decided I didn’t actually need it though and removed the front sight.

I think you’ll like the Sig Romeo.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,399 Posts
Most quality red dots will work fine. I've found just about every red dot has SOME degree of parallax but this is minimized if you zero with a consistent cheek weld. And really only manifests itself when you are trying very precise shooting.

I can't say enough good things about Vortex--I've had great luck with them.

The Strike Eagle scope is a little heavy and maybe beyond your price target (although PSA was running a few sales on them) but gives a CQB 1x to 6 or 8X option so IMHO it's a true switch hitter with some pretty clear glass and good eye relief at the lower magnification levels.

·
Super Moderator
16,827 Posts

If you have a fixed front sight post then you are going to see that in your field of view no matter what. But two things.

You need to worry about your optic mount, (or if the RDS you buy comes with a factory mount) what level it is, there are two types... direct co-witness mounts and lower 1/3rd co-witness mounts.

Im talking about dedicated/purpose built RDS mounts and not whatever bubba'd together mount with X spacers/riser disasters ive seen every now and again).

The direct co witness mounts will put your optic's red dot exactly on the same horizontal plane as your rear and front sight so the dot is right about where the tip of the front sight is. The lower 1/3rd co-witness mounts will put the dot slightly higher so if you were looking through your iron sights, the iron sights would be sitting in the lower 1/3rd of your field of view of the red dot.

All of my builds have flip down back up iron sights (BUIS) so this is a non issue for me but if I had a fixed A2 style front sight I would prefer (this is all personal preference) to have the lower 1/3rd just so I have that much more of an unobstructed field of view.

Either way, your eyeball can only focus on one distance at a time and with a red dot you should be shooting both eyes open anyways if you can for situational awareness with your dominate eye focused on the red dot when shooting.

But when you are looking at the dot and the dot is crisp and clear and in focus the fixed front sight should be slightly out of focus. So not a big deal if that is what you have to work with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-r-patrol-1-25-4x20mm-30mm with www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/5/

After spending thousands on buying "what I could afford at the time" I finally realized that these are tools and "buy once, cry once" applies in firearms and optics just as much as any other tool. When I bought my first AR, the first optic I put on it was an Aimpoint Micro T1. Great optic but as soon as I started playing the 3-Gun game, I found out within the first stage that, although it is fantastic for the CQB / In the home defense role, it sucked at hitting 8” plates at 175 yards under pressure. It just so happens that at a random draw amateur prize table, I ended up with a Leupold 1.25 X 4 VXR patrol which has a single illuminated red dot in the center of a MIL reticle and that has been my optic for 3-Gun ever since. I know, I know, If it’s not a true 1 power, it is not zero parallax. Trust me, at the ranges where you are using it as a red dot, that little bit of parallax doesn’t matter. When you need to hit with more precision, just swing the cat tail up to max magnification and get your cheek weld.

There are a number of options out there for this type of setup but don’t go cheap. With this setup, during a stage, I can throw my rifle in dump barrel's and not worry at all about losing zero.

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,218 Posts
I decided a while back if it takes batteries I don't want it on my guns. I've had red dots and green dots and one you could change from red or green. Fun to play with but just not dependable because of the batteries. Same with laser sights. Just one more thing to worry about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, unless you are running a cheap optic or an Eotech (I've seen way to many of those die, turn themselves off during a stage or run out of batteries to ever use one) the co-witness thing is outdated. If you are really worried about having an optic go down, you don't have the right optic and you can always run irons on 45deg mounts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I decided a while back if it takes batteries I don't want it on my guns. I've had red dots and green dots and one you could change from red or green. Fun to play with but just not dependable because of the batteries. Same with laser sights. Just one more thing to worry about.
That's one of the great things about this type of optic. If the dot goes out the reticle is still there.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Watching this thread, since I’ve been thinking about doing some optic swaps and putting a red dot on my 300 Blackout.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

Don’t mind the fsp, it doesn’t bother me anyway

1 - 20 of 39 Posts