thoughts on rem 7400

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by riverrat, May 11, 2008.

1. riverrat

riverrat G&G Newbie

found a remington 7400 in 270. I like the idea of a semi auto deer rifle, and its a carbine ( I luv a good brush gun ), my question is, should i get a bolt action? I already have a 30-30. I want another rifle for deer hunting and I like this little 7400. Im just wondering about versatility. Any thoughts?

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The 7400 is an exelent deer gun.You can make just as many oneshot kills with it as you can a bolt action if you do your part. sam.

3. turner

turner Guest

Riverrat, You call this 7400 a carbine, but I'm thinking it must be the standard rifle with 22" barrel. I don't know that the 7400 in .270 has been made in carbine (18.5" barrel) form. If it's a 22" version, i'm quite sure you'd be happy with it for the type hunting you mentioned. I've owned a couple of 7400s and have found them to be quality rifles. It would not be my #1 choice for hunting where shots would be of long range (over 250yds), but would feel completely comfortable for hunting typiocal whitetail habitat and with shots out to 300yds with that rifle/caliber combination. Of course, your particular rifle's accuracy will determine that. A 18.5" barrel would effect the velocity of a .270, and possibly make it best for somewhat shorter ranges than the 22" version.

4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

270 caliber 7400 carbines are rare and a good find. I have found the 7400 to be a great little rifle and surprisingly soft shooting with a good butt pad. Accuracy is quite good. Keep it clean and it is a very reliable rifle.

5. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

I would personally check out the Browning BAR, also.

6. jv101

jv101 G&G Newbie

B.A.R for hunting?? why would you want to carry around a 22lb gun for hunting?

7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

You should put your BAR on a diet,your feeding it too good and it,s gaining weight.As I recall the military version of the bar was around 16lbs.But I believe they are refering to the sportsman/hunting version as the military was full auto and 20rnd mags.The sports version runs 7.5 to 8.5 and is 3to5 shot semi only. sam.

8. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

A good friend of mine had a 7400 in .308. It was a very accurate rifle. While stationed in the Army in Northern California we would goto a public range outside of Reno, NV and would shoot at the long range Iron plates. They were anywhere from 300 to 800yds. He could consistantly hit the 500yd plate and if it were not for the low power scope i'm sure he could've done the same to the 800yd one. Once I bought my Sendero and thinking I would have no problem out shooting him he humbled me with that little semi auto.

9. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Lol, yeah, we're talking about different BAR's :D

10. rfc357

rfc357 Guest

My experience with several 7400s is that they are not quite as accurate as a good bolt gun, they don't cycle reliably with light handloads, and they must be kept very clean and well lubed to ensure reliable functioning. A thorough cleaning requires a teardown, not a real big deal.

That said, they are perfectly adequate hunting rifles.

11. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I have owned a few 7400s over the years and all of them where accurate enough for deer hunting. Just remember to clean them.