Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by FS00008, Sep 30, 2010.

1. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

In the course of my collecting I've stumbled upon some real diamonds in the rough and I wanted to talk about one of them. That would be the Cobra Enterprises Patriot .45 (AKA Republic Arms Patriot .45). I picked up this gun as a part of a package deal a few months ago and really enjoyed some aspects of it, such as the small size, good looks, compatibility with 1911 Magazines (Which I have in abundance), strength, accuracy (While not on a par with a good 1911, I find it to be perfectly acceptable, especially since it's got a 3" barrel).

Some of the cons that I have noticed are the abominably heavy DAO trigger pull. While it's very smooth and not gritty, it's over 11 pounds. Very hard to achieve accuracy with a trigger that heavy. The other thing that I've not cared for is the lack of a slide lock. I do not like a gun that I cannot lock the slide or bolt open. For one thing, it makes disassembly a pain in the rear. Another issue I have is that it will only feed certain JHP .45s (Winchester Silvertips, Hydra-Shoks, and Cor-Bons seem to be the only ones that feed). This is after polishing the feed ramp too.

So... do I keep it?

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^What happens with me when dealing with a firearm that has what I call personality peculiarities is I decide to practice with it and get used to it,which I have done.I become accustomed to the minor quirks of said firearm (the reason I say firearm is I have done this with long guns too.) and become fairly or highly proficient with that weapon with it's peculiarities and then try shooting a normal run of the mill firearm with no particular abnormalities,AND FIND OUT I CAN'T HIT SH*T.It never takes long to get back in the groove but once my reflexes and muscle control system become accustomed to certain happenings,I miss them when they are gone.(of course,I'm a nutcase anyway) One thing this always pointed out to me is we should always get a lot of "range time" in with our SD weapon,whether rifle,shotgun, or handgun.

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

^ Good point Sam !!

4. No. Not unless a gunsmith could do something to smooth out and lighten the trigger.

5. FS00008

Good point Sam.

Range Rat, yea I could stone it abit and lighten the spring, but that could also cause light hits... I don't want a light primer hit on a defensive handgun.

6. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I like to practice with firearms having various trigger pull weights but 11 lbs is stout.

7. FS00008

It's actually 11.4 according to my digital pull scale.

8. Para Cassatt

I'd keep it anyway and just try one of the Cylinder & Slide drop in kits from Brownells.

9. FS00008

Do they make one for this model?

10. Para Cassatt

Not sure, I was thinking it was a 1911.

11. FS00008

Ohhh nooo lol. This is a Polymer framed single stack, DAO, I'm attaching a photo.

Cobra-Patriot45-lg.jpg