Three Request Close?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BarryHalls, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

At the risk of stirring the pot:
    I'm not hear to argue whether or not closed threads should have been closed, and I hope no one else is, but does anyone else find it strange that 3 requests out of 36,000+ users is all it takes to close a thread? Or am I just misunderstanding something?

2. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Sounds like enough to bring the attention of a moderator, sure. How many people complaining should it take before a moderator takes a closer look and makes a decision?

3. I had a inkling this thread was coming......;)

I assume if the Mods see at least 3 people that don't like it...there are a lot more who just aint said nothing.......3 strikes works in Baseball, why not forums.

And out of the 36,000 people....it seems like only about 200 actually post in the Keg...so 3 out of 200 is better odds to figure reasons with.

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

You may not realize that we get requests by PM that you will never Know about by members who help keep this forum friendly and spam and Troll free.

5. BarryHalls

I realize. I have helped run forms like these. If anything were ever closed by even a 50% vote of the users EVERYTHING would have been closed. lol. Still they came, still they posted, still they clicked on adds, still we kept the site up.

I'm stuck on this

Wouldn't a thread, several pages long, with dozens of posters supporting outweigh the opinions of 3?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

+1^Very very good answer rich.
    Steve

7. BarryHalls

Ah, but how many who have no problem, or would like a thread to continue remain silent?

Still 1.5% vote?

8. chalk up one request here.

9. BarryHalls

Exactly.

Here is my bottom line.

Whoever complains the most runs a republic. Those who are satisfied with how things are will never have their way because of a motivated minority they never know exists until it is too late.

This is what has turned out country up side down.

10. BarryHalls

Seriously??

11. Steve

Moderators are tasked with keeping an eye on threads that appear to be stated in such a way as to start an argument are ones that turn into an argument and ones that are just plain rude and obnoxtious these will be closed no matter how many post's they have, so my suggestion is to be very carefull about how you state something and always preread your post before submitting them, if the post take's someone to task in an unfriendly way or are stated is such a way as to cause someone or group of members a problem then you can expect it to be close, this uncludes the language or demeaner in what is posted.
    Steve

12. BarryHalls

That I can totally agree with.

The staff member I quoted, (I mean him no malice and respect him as well as most members here), seemed to say that 3 complaints always resulted in a thread being locked. That just seems like a small number compared to the traffic on this site.

13. Steve

I have closed threads on one request, this is not a majority rules site it is a privately owned and run site and is run with and on the rules that the owner makes.
    Steve

14. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That old adage about the squeaking wheel getting greased has nothing to do with right or wrong, ethics, integrity, what is socially acceptable, or any number of other factors BarryHalls. It is only about a few people making lots of noise and trumping everyone else. Hence the 'backed into the corner position' of the silent majority on any number of issues in this country.

15. BarryHalls

I understand that, fully. I wrote almost those very words in my last TOS agreement.

SO, are you saying that there is no, or should be no, 3 request close RULE, and I was misunderstanding?

I shouldn't have implied that this was a majority ruled site. I did mean to say that it should certainly not be ruled by a minority. The condition of this site as-is is superb, but if the rule becomes 'satisfy the complainers' while ignoring the contents it may well go down hill.

16. BarryHalls

My point exactly.

This is me squeaking a little.

17. Steve

As far as I know there is no preset Number of request's to get a thread closed at least I do not operate that way and I do not know of any other moderator that operate's in that manner
    Steve

18. BarryHalls

Then I really have nothing more to say, except, I hope that isn't that moderators set rule.

19. Steve

I know all the moderators personally and i would say that it was more than just the request that got the thread closed we usually discuss these things amoung several of us before takling action.
    Steve

20. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Mods Have the final Say since we are tasked with keeping the forum running smooth...There is no set Number as it can be no requests when a Mod feels a thread has Problems he observes. Member requests do carry some weight with us since we are here to keep it going for members...Not Mods.
    In reality , very few threads get locked , and if they do , they needed it...
    Period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.