Thumbholes?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ACfixer, May 13, 2008.

1. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Thumbholes in rifle stocks... Pros/Cons? Just personal preference?

2. turner

turner Guest

There are those who love them and like the way they almost wear it vs hold the stock. I'm afraid I'm a tad more traditional in my tastes and doubt I'd ever consider one, at least on a hunting rifle.

3. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

I just bought a gun with a thumbhole - first ever for me.

[​IMG]

Since I was putting a high scope with an objective diameter of 50 mm on it, I wanted a high cheek rest to get my eye up higher and in line with the scope. So I don't think the thumbhole has any real value, but the the high cheek rest does. Some stocks just have the high cheek, and I'm sure they are fine too. When I shoot targets with it, I don't even put my thumb through the hole. I put it behind the trigger guard and essentially pinch the trigger, rather than pull it.

I suspect whenever you get a thumbhole stock it is likely to have a high cheek rest. With a small diameter scope mounted close to the barrel, it could be a liability. You may not get your eye low enough...

Ron

4. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

I don't own any rifles with a thumbhole stock but, I have fired a couple of them. I find them very comfortable to grip and shoot.

5. Ron AKA , I'm guessing that new gun of yours is the savage 93 in 17hmr .
    I have had a few of them come thru my store in the past couple weeks and the owners have all had good things to say about them. I have never cared much for thumb-holes But as ACFIXER said it really is a personal preference thing.
    John

6. ACfixer, I honestly think it's personal preference. You either like them or you don't.

7. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

I think the gun brand and model are independent from the thumbhole issue. If you make a stock with a high cheek rest then you can make a thumbhole without spending any more $$ on wood. It really is cosmetic assuming all you really want the high cheek rest.

Yep, it is a Savage, but a .22LR. They are very good guns for the price. The real need for the high cheek rest is very scope specific.

Ron

8. wirehunt

wirehunt Guest

I haven't owned one but have shouldered a few, one day I will own one ;)

Low scope to cheek is fast, in fact the first job on my new Kimber was to grind the bolt cause the scope was so low.....

9. I havent got one yet,but am very keen to own a few.I was in the gun shop the other day and had a look at a remington heavy varmint barreled 22/250 with a laminated thumbhole stock.It was like an extension of my arms,nice and heavy and pointed really comfortably offhand for me.If i can this year i will buy a 17hmr in some form of thumbhole.And i want to get a thumbhole for my 22/250.But my next project which might interest the 303/smle owners is a thumbhole stock for my 303/25 sporter.Like has been said,its entirely up to personal preference.I like them,some dont.Use one and see if you like them too.

10. I may be weird but I like either a thumb hole or a "broom handle" stock. I think the straight stock handles better and "quicker". The thumbhole I like for long-range or when I'm sitting still.

11. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Thanks everyone. I went to Bass Pro yesterday and shouldered a few, they felt very nice... but were available only in varmint calibers. I was wondering if the thumbhole is a recoil issue with the larger loads. Well, that's why we have the internet and places like this! Although I like the feel so far, I'd want to know if a .300 mag would feel like it would tear my thumb off after a few shots.

I was looking online at the Browning A-bolt eclipse 1000.
    A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse

12. I'm a traditionlist I thought BUT as I see more firearms with thumb hole stocks I'm beginnig to like them.

I Love this set up...Check it out ! I like this style better and I might add I love this shotgun !!!
    I want it for a back up gun though it is a turkey shotgun,,,I think it ROCKS !!

[​IMG]

EDIT: Everytime I go to Mossberg and look at this shotgun I want to order it for self defence !

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  13. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

Thumbhole stocks tend to be a bit heavier than standard ones. If anything they should have a little less recoil. They are really intended for target and varmint applications, where you have a big scope. For handling I really don't notice any difference. In the Browning link you posted, I would lean towards the .270 WSM.

Ron

14. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I have the savage pictured above only it's blued, it feels great. It was definitely a selling point to me on this rifle. I also have a Mak90 with the thumb hole stock on it. I could take it or leave it on this rifle. My suggestion is hold the gun in question and see how it feels to you. Judge every gun separate.

15. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

acfixer- I don't think the stock will suffer from recoil issues, nor your thumb.
    I agree with Pontiac thay you should hold a rifle before you buy it whenever possible.

16. lorcin25

lorcin25 Guest

I absolutely love the way they look....It is just hard to find them in dark wood grain...which is what I prefer.

17. i dont think it would be that big of a deal if you like it use it if you dont like it but your thumb somewhere you feel comfortable

18. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

I have some rifles in thumbhole and find them quite comfortable. To me they dont seem quite as "quick" in the field but they do feel more stable when sighting. As for recoil on the thumb, if you are putting the stock against your sholder, you don't get the recoil against the thumb. Seems that the motion is put to the sholder and your arm follows along. If you are trying to hold it with your hand instead of your sholder then you would experience recoil in the hand.

19. I figure thumb hole stocks prolly work better when your sitting down in a stand or sitting on the ground against a tree or something.
    Wouldn't you think so ?

20. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I agree! Wasn't the thumbhole initially designed for BR shooting?