tie Dye camo?

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by AllAlaskan, Sep 6, 2010.

1. I went to the state fair here in Alaska yesterday and there was a boothe that me and my wife stopped at that sold Tie Dye stuff, and one of the sweat shirts they had was using green and black and a tannish color, and it would have been perfect camo and got me to thinking, how hard would it be to use tie dye to make your own camo? I meen really, the point of camo is to break up your outline, and as long as your using natural LOCAL colors (for example black and white or brown and white for winter NOT summer lol and green,brown,tan for forust NOT desert ect.) then couldnt Tie Dye work pretty good?

What are your thoughts? Im just curios.

2. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

Interesting thought, if you used comercial dies instead of the kids tie dyeing set then i think it would work.

TEST: get a white sheet and do some dyeing on it of your suroundings then take pics and put them up for us to anylize and give feed back. Sheets cost nuthin if ya got a crap load like me.

3. petrol

petrol G&G Enthusiast

i did some tie die cammo when I was a youngster. the added bonus is if you get 'found' you can just pretend you are a hippy out 'getting down with nature' .

4. Not a bad idea. I think tomarrow I may go into town and see if any of the local hobby shops have tie dye, the good stuff not the kiddy stuff. Depending on how much the dyes cost y may pickup some and give it a try. Im just thinking that since with tie dye you never really know the full outcome and that camo is mainly to break up your image to help blend in that this may be a cheeper way of doing your own camo, If it works I think im ganna try to get 2 sweat shirts and do one green,brown,tan and then another one just black,brown and leave alot white to blend in in the snow. If the whole thing actually works I may try to do a white beenie for winter hunting and a pair of pants too.... IF ( IF being the keyword) it works.

5. lmao, tree hugger or tree.......nm lol.

6. Is this what you are thinking ?
    or maybe something more home grown .

Attached Files:

7. Was thinking of something more home grown, that looks like it would work im just not sure how long the colors would last with it kids kit. but the stuff I seen yesterday was diffrent looking than that.

8. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

Now i have seen some, ahem... interesting camo designs and material used, google camo or snow camo and look through the pics.

One of the more interesting material for camoing a rifle was white socks and spray paint to break up the whiteness (pc?) of the sock. It didnt turn out to bad actualy.

9. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

We make camo more complicated than it has to be.

Anything with irregular shapes, and dull colors helps to break up your outline and make you harder to spot.

Many animals, deer included, have very poor color vision, and see in sepia or washed out tones or even black and white.

SO, tie dyed patterns are PERFECTLY acceptable for camo. The added benefit is that you can take any of those old faded out carhart or schmidt coveralls or jackets and bring them back to a break up camo patter, customized to the flora found in your neck of the woods, with dye from walmart.

I like it!

As a side note, I recieved a hand-me-down carhart 'arctic' jacket from a supervisor at work. he had just gotten a new one, and this one was faded to a very pale yellow, but other wise in excellent shape (it's carhart!). So, I wore it as was for a while but eventually died it dark brown. It took 2 packages of brown, 1 package of green, and 1 package of black, in seperate baths of very hot water, but the end result was an almost EXACT match to the carhart brown.

So, in effect I got a brand new $130 jacket, in my favorite color, for under $25. WOO HOO!

10. BarryHalls

With those name brand dies from walmart, or a fabric store may be better, they last pretty well.

I HIGHLY recommend exaggerating the instructions, where it says 'warm water' I used boiling water, and where it says allow to dry for 'x days' before washing, I dried for a few weeks before washing. The die actually continues to set LONG after it is dry to the touch. Even still, the colors ran into the wash, but there was no visible fading, even after several washes now.

11. thanks for the reply Barry :D I may swing by Walmart or Joans Fabrics ( ya laph all ya want lol) and see what they have for dyes and maby pick up some CHEEP plain white shirts or some pillow cases or something to practice on. Just after I was looking at those sweat shirts I can really see how doing Tie Dye could make some decent cammo. Like Larmus said I should problubly practice on some cheep stuff before I go and buy a nice white sweat shirt to do this too lol.

12. Excellent Idea!

I've wondered about creating my own cammo before, but never truly had the motivation to do it. LoL Sooooo go for it! It seems like a perfectly good idea to me. I'd love to see the results of your experiments. Hell, if it turns out well, I'll even make a YouTube video about it and tell people how you did it! Or how they can buy the designs from YOU.. HEHEHEHE

MilPro

13. BarryHalls

Yeah, it really could. I've always been a big fan of the old Vietnam era tiger stripe camo, and really, it's not that different from the lines found in tie die. I would alter the process a little to try to create alternating vertical stripes, with occasional oblique and horizontal slashes. To me, that's what best blends in with trees and other brush, which grow vertically.

From my limited experience dying, and tie dying, I think you'll have left over white splotches after the tie dying process. SO, IMO the best way to create a drab, fully died camo would be to do the tie dying with bold black, green, and brown, and then, after the dye has set, do a light dying in tan with the garment fully unfolded, so that the colors all wash a little drabber and the whites are all died tan.

The areas already dyed, if dyed thoroughly, won't take much of the color, but a good tan should help to dull the other colors.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  14. thats actually what I was thinking about doing. I was even thinking about maby trying to find some shirts or what ever that are already a tan color, then try tie dyi'ing that and see if I could get it to work.

15. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

if you start with a brown/tan shirt, all other additional dye colors will go darker. So depending on how dark you want to go then think about colored shirts.

16. ya, I thought about that too larmus. I am going to test it and see if i can do it without them bing to dark but we will see. I went to walmart and they actually have a tie die camo color kit for about 15 bucks. Atm I cant really spend the money on it but I think next week Im going to pick one up and give it a try. Something else I thought about was after I do the tie dye and the die sets maby trying to take the shirt and open it up and then use a light brown on all the white areas. I may have to dilute the ink to get it ot work right. one of those things im ganna have to try.