Tiger stripe Mosins

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, Jul 6, 2002.

1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Has anyone ever seen any of the stocks that bc of the way they were cut the wood appears to have a Tiger-stripe appearance. The histoical society has one of these on display and it is a beauty.

2. My 91/30 has tiger stripes but only a few of them on the forend. The rest of the wood ranges from almost black to a light blonde. It has the nicest looking wood of any of my Mosins (or any other of my rifles) and really attracts attention. I dont know if the stock was changed when it was refurbished at the factory or not, but it sure looks like a more expensive wood than it really is.

3. ricrenz

ricrenz Guest

Tiger stripe wood stock

The tiger stripe simply means that the wood came from the trunk of a very old very large tree. The wood in the trunk compresses due to the weight of the tree as it grows, much like what happens if you slam down a soda straw on its end while holding it in your fist. When the wood is cut this wiggley pattern emerges and shows up as "tiger stripes".

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My Finn Mosin M39 shows a bit of "tiger stripe" in the stock.
    I see it more often in Mausers though.

5. Striping is very common in Finnish Mosins; it's one more reason to love 'em. Maybe the stresses on the arctic birch from the wind and the weather contribute to it. And I also read somewhere that the Finnish furniture and cabinet makers gave up their supplies of prime wood for the war effort.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  6. MountaineerWVa

MountaineerWVa Guest

I've got a mauser 22 training rifle that's striped from butt to forarm..I also always thought they must have been caused during stock manufacture...Oh well,You learn something new every day.

7. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

As a general rule of thumb, the harder the life of the tree, the more beautiful the wood will be. The next time you look out in a field and see almost any kind of tree that is all twisted and gnarled, you can bet that it will produce a gorgeous grain pattern if cut correctly.

8. Sometimes that's true for people, too

Up to a point, anyway. People who grow up always having it their own way and easy don't usually seem to come out with any real character.

9. Sometimes that's true for people, too

Up to a point, anyway. People who grow up always having it their own way and easy don't usually seem to come out with any real character or personality.

10. Coldwood

Coldwood Guest

I've got a Swedish Mauser that has beautiful tigerstriping on both sides of the buttstock but everything forward is straight grain.