close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tighten slide/lap in

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Eric, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Hey guys, another question. I want to have my slide to frame fit tightened on my Gold Cup. What exactly is the procedure of 'lapping in'? Also, the reason for the fit becoming loose was using a bad magazine. It had a rounded follower and wouldn't lock the slide back after the last round, so every time the slide closed on the empty mag the center of the slide tried to 'jump' it and stay in the rails at the same time so it deveveloped a sort of bow in the middle and loosened the rails also. what's the best way to fix this without a new slide. It's one of the enhanced Gold Cup slides and they are a bit expensive. Thanks in advance. Good Shooting! Eric

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    a slide is tightened through the cross section of its rail slots, CORRECT tooling is a must. Lapping is done by applying a compound usually from 3F then to JB. brush small amount on, work slide in full strokes, solvent clean, re-oil, test in between. I consider my self fairly mechanicaly inclined and have attemted some projects I felt comfortable with. Personnaly If I had a Gold Cup that needed major work I'd buck up and let the Pro do it.