tikka mag and ring q's

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Skibum, May 28, 2008.

1. Skibum

Skibum G&G Newbie

I am doing some preliminary searching for a rifle for my soon to be 18 year old son, who is definitely full sized. The t3 is one of the rifles that caught my eye, along with various Savages and Howas. Two things struck me about the Tikka: the magazines seem to be very expensive, at least $52 each, and the rings that may or may not be included (apparently medium height) apparently don't work with Simmons AETEC scopes, which are apparently to big around, according to one post in another forum.

My mag question is: is there another, less expensive source of mags?

My ring question is: What ring and scope combinations have worked well, and what scopes work well with supplied rings?

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

3. Skibum

Skibum G&G Newbie

The mags at that source appear to be $69 each, kind of pricy for a $500 rifle. I don't have a scope yet, but was thinkinga bout the AETEC, as it is a good value. Even if I were not to go with the AETEC, I was concerned taht the medium rings might be kind of low, and wanted more info. Were I to buy the rifle, I would not want to buy a scope for which I would need to buy a different set of rings, because it would make more sense to get a more expensive scope which fits.

4. Skibum

Skibum G&G Newbie

I am not sure why my second post tomthis thread didn't show up, but I will attemtp to restate it. I don't have the rifle yet. I jsut don't want to get into a situation where I have to spend a lot of money simply trying to fit a scope to a rifle. The tikka seems to come with rings, so I would want to avoid buying a scope that needed other rings, if it were reasonable. A good set of rings and base could easily exceed $50, which is a big chunk of change compared to the scope costs we're discussing here. It would make more sense to buy a $200 scope which fit the rings and delivered $50 more value than to try to get a $150 scope to fit the hard way.

As far as the magazines are concerned, the source you cited charges almost $70 for a magazine, which seems kind of pricy on a $500 rifle.

5. SwedeSteve

The medium rings will fit for a scope of 3x9x40 dimensions. I do not know of the specific scope you are talking about and what its Objective diameter is. If you can find that out you can do a little math and determine if the scope will clear. Also it would depend if the tikka has iron sights as well. You can read up on it here: http://www.thecountryshed.com/sako_tikka_scope_mounts.htm

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  6. vartex

vartex G&G Newbie

If the Tikka rings don't work for your scope you can use any manufacture's rings and base(s), I think even Weaver offers a Weaver style rig set for he Sako dovetail. I can't offer an alternative for the expensive magazines but the rifles are good enough to make the high cost worthwhile.

7. SwedeSteve

Definitely true there !!

8. Woodbeef

Woodbeef G&G Newbie

Hmmm never seen a new T3 come with rings like the Rugers do. The Tikkas are D&T'd for Weaver bases also.

9. doctordisaster

doctordisaster G&G Newbie

My T3 came with rings.I did however sell them and installed Tally lightweights @around $50.I did buy another mag.Bought on line @ around $50.Neither one did I need to do.That mag clip won't fall out unless some idiot is using it.The supplied rings work just fine.The rifle, is the catsazz.I have a Hunter in 6.5 Swede that will put them in the same hole.I love my Tikka almost as much as my Sako 75RH 7mm RM.
    Do yourself a favor.If you buy a T3 don't cheap out on optics.The gun will shoot as good as you can see.Leupold's fit great on them.I have a VXII 3-9X40 on mine.

10. SwedeSteve

Def go with great optics to do justice to the rifle.