Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here own a Tikka T3. I'm looking to add a new rifle to my safe ( which there is no room for). I have a Mini 30, Marlin 30-30, Weatherby 30-06,Winchester Classic Sporter 7mm Rem Mag, Winchester Super Shadow 270 WSM and a Browning A-Bolt 7mm-08. I'm thinking of letting the Classic Sporter loose because I have it new in the box and since the whole Winchester think that went down I don't want to shoot it. I don't want a gun that I would feel bad about shooting. So with all that said I was thinking of a Tikka T3 Stainless but what would be a good caliber to compliment my other rifles.

Thanks for any info you guy may have.:usa:

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Not knowing the intended usage or area, I would suggest a .243 as a good all-around gun from varmints up to white-tails. All feedback on the T-3's has been excellent-will prob. be my next gun but wish they had it chambered in 257 Roberts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tikkas are excellent

I own 2 Tikka T3 tacticals. One is chambered for .308 and is sporting a Leupold 4.5-14X50 scope and one is chambered for .223 and has a Tasco 4-24X50 varmint scope in mil-dot and it has accounted for 4 coyotes, probably 100 prairie dogs, a couple raccoons and an innumerable amount of birds and squirells.

I must say that these rifles are incredibly accurate right out of the box and durable. I would suggest that you buy one if you have the money. The .308 shoots 1 MOA out to 600 yards and the .223 shoots 5/8 MOA at 100 yds for certain and I have successfully shot prairie dogs at 300 yds with it. They come with really good triggers and will need absolutely no tweaks. GET ONE! End of discussion.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I own a T3 lite (the cheapest model) in .223. It is by far my favorite rifle. Fit and finish are better than most, and accuracy is incredible. My best with it is a 4 shot group at 100yds that measured .338" center to center. the trigger is adjustable as well.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The T3 is very popular over here, my uncle just bought one in .223, only problem I've noticed is it's a wee bit fussy about ammo, and you have to run them in properly. But a very nice looking rifle (s/s, plastic stock).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wirehunt, the T3 in .223 has a 1 in 8 twist rate, so it usually prefers atleast a 55 grain bullet in my experience. Such a fast rate usually overstabilizes the light 40,42,45 and 50 grain bullets in my experience. My rifle groups well with any bullet from 55-77 grain but I usually use 60-68 grain bullets. Even with Cheap Wolf factory 62-gr i can hit pie plates repeatedly at 250-300 yds.

P.S. It's Synthetic reinforced glass fiber polymer stocks, not plastic.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yes I know about the projectile weight's, 55gr is the lightest I've got, the ammo he was having trouble with is Barnel in 62gr, cheap for us but it seems not very good.

That's a flash name for a plastic stock :D And don't pannick, I've got one as well on my Sako:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmm

Well Barnaul ammo is cheap and isn't used for accurate shooting in the first place so I wouldn't have high expectations with it. But then again, some rifles just seem to not like certain loads and even expensive high-quality loads can yield crappy accuracy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 22-250 T3 varmint. shoots 1/2 Moa no problem with my handloads. best so far has been 40 grain hornady's in front of BM2, Norma cases, large winchester primers.

i can't speak highly enough of the Tikka accuracy. shoots pretty much any factory load into 1 inch at 100 yards, and has done since it came out of the box.

i'm thinking of getting a timber stocked T3 hunter in 7 x 64 Brenneke ( effectively the european equivalent of the .280 remington) just because you can almost guarantee it will shoot well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts