Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i do realize this may seem like old news. this is the first i have heard of this mishap. i purchased a tikka, t3 in 2004. s/n 294522. my first mishap involving this .270 caliber. the breaking of the recticle in a leopold scope. two years later it happened again. i installed a backup scope. went out to finish siting it in. and on the third shot. the magazine and firing pin cover exploded into pieces. does any one have help with this problem. i was not seriously hurt. but may have been. or some-one else might be.
also this is not a stainless steel barreled rifle. and i have also used two different manufacture ammunition.
thanks

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What type of ammo were you using? You were obviously developing some serious pressures. Two Leopold scopes breaking on the same rifle is VERY unusual as well- I am not Leopold's biggest fan, but they are very good quality scopes. Give us a little more info. - especially the type of ammo used (reloads?). Did you send the rifle back to the manufacturer for them to look at?

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I would like to see closeup photos of the entire rifle, action, broken pieces, bolt face , Magazine and ammo used. It does sound like an ammo problem/ pressure overload...
Rich

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Welcome! Did you ever have any problems closing the bolt on a live round or extracting a fired round? Also have you ever noticed anything unusual about the fired brass, like unusual bulges, cracks, shiny spots, or primers that look unusualy flattened or actually fell out of the case? I'm leaning to a tight\short chamber. What did the fired case look like after the failure? Pics would be very helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ammo i used. Remington 130 gr bronze point. and Federal 150gr nosler partition.
i have not returned this rifle to anyone. this more serious incident happed, on 11/13/2007. at this time i have no pics.
the action has always been smooth with live rounds. i do not see any cracks or bulges on the brass. the case of the last round fired is still in the chamber. it feels as though the bolt may have to be forced open. thanks.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I would return the rifle in the condition it is in without opening the bolt,but first I would contact customer service.On the other casings,is there a lot of black on the outside body?Is the mouth of the caseing opening up all the way?This sounds like a bullet release problem caused by the casing going beyond the chamber.In other words the chamber wasnt reamed long enough.All of the steps in a chamber reamer are on one reamer but they could have used a faulty reamer.At any rate it isnt your fault and I would not let anyone force the bolt open unless CS tells you to.Factory ammo is slightly undersize and could bolt in okay but if thr chamber is short it could cause tremenduous pressure buildup. sam.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Since you were using factory ammo, I would call the manufacturer for instructions and send that sucker back to them ASAP. If you had any injuries or medical bills I would note that it the letter you send back with the rifle. As Sam said, leave it just like it is - include all the pieces. Be sure to take good pictures that could be used as evidence later if they decide to be jerks. You may want to include the ammo lot number, type and manufacturer along with the rifle. As you said it blew out the mag, i am assuming there is no live ammo left in the rifle - make sure there is not before you ship it.

Glad you were not injured. I would be expecting a new rifle and some additional compensation from the rifle maker or ammo company. One of the two messed up bad!

Please let us know this turns out.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
It could just be a punctured primer, but I'd send it back just in case.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A friend of mine had this same thing happen with a brand new Rem 700 BDL. When he sent it to the manufacturer and they did some testing on the rifle, they blamed it on the ammo (winchester). I think they were bracing for a major lawsuit, they got really nice when he said "all I want is my rifle replaced in the same condition it was before." About a month later his new rifle came in, they also bought the scope and all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gentleman, thank you for your input. Would it be best to get a lawyer involved with this? The other casing at the neck area. Look as though it has an un-even cut to it.
I have contacted customer service. They gave me an address to return it to. I am waiting to obtain more information, before i do that. I will also work on pictures for you. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts