Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A freind of mine say's Tikko is a poor mans version of Sako. He claims Sako is built to better tolerances, and madw out of better materials that Tikko. I was looking at both rifles today because of his constant urging to add a long range rifle to my collection. (As it stands right now my collection consists of short to medium range platforms.) His father was a sniper in the marines, and their doctrin was deeply engraved in my freind. I however was raised around vets that only had contact at close range, hence my collection. Now back to my question......which one is better? I realy liked the look of the Tikko and it felt good to me (I know that should be the answer to my question), But I also dont like having second best. So help me out thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The Sako will be of higher quality than the Tikka, but dont rule out the Tikka they are great rifles and they are also nowhere near as dear as the Sako. You wont be dissapointed no matter which one you choose.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
One of the few things that seperates Sako from Tikka is a brick wall. I have heard that Tikka will guarantee that their guns shoot MOA from the factory.

If you find the right loads and get good glass on a Tikka, it will probably be more accurate than most shooters. Of course, the same could probably be said of Remingtons, Savage and Weatherby's.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
One feature, minor to some, that I like about the Tikka (and CZ rifles) are the detachable magazines.

I have several rifles from Savage to Remington to Ruger to mil surps that all have the box rotary magazine. They are great rifles in their own but, I wish they would offer models with detachable mags.

BTW...I am seriously leaning toward a Tikka or CZ in .223 for my wife as a varmint/bench shooter.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
At present Tikka is owned by Beretta,manufactured by Sako,and imported by Beretta. sam.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
You will not be unhappy with a Tikka! They are exceptional rifles out of the box! I know sako guarantees moa or less on every rifle. Not sure about Tikkas tho.

From the Berreta site:

Every single Sako and Tikka rifle leaving the Riihimaki, Finland factory is range-tested to shoot 1" groups or less at 100 yards. This is the kind of quality control that has earned our rifles the worldwide reputation for accuracy they undoubtedly deserve.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you guys think these rifles compare with the remington 700 and the winchester 70, they are all around the same price (with the exception of the sako).

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
They are both high quality

People can argue until the polar ice totally melts but the fact remains these are both extremely high quality guns and anyone should feel proud to own and hunt with either of the guns.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Beretta owns Tikka and Sako. Both are excellent guns and are one the high end scale of things. If you have the money the Sako is in my opinion clearly better. If you hold the two side by side there is a slight difference in quality. The sako just seems to have bee made a little nicer than the Tikka. As for shooting performance i think they are both excellent and accurate makes. Either will make the shooter satisfied.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tikka is alittle more in my price range, I am also considering the remmington model700 just because the marines use it and its seen alot of battle time.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Tikka is alittle more in my price range, I am also considering the remmington model700 just because the marines use it and its seen alot of battle time.
Judging a rifle by what a special unit in the service uses would be like buying an auto by brand because it did good on the nascar circuit.Today everything including stock,barrel,and scope are different in the special units(snipers)than anything you might get in a box.Not saying the one you purchase wont be a good shooter,it almost definitly will.I'm just saying it won't be preped out like what the mil. will be using.Didn't used to be that way but it is now.Personally,I am pregidice to American products,made in America.As to Tikka and Sako,the only difference is fit and finish.It takes time to polish and finish a firearm.Years ago Savage had straight shooting rifles from the M99 and M219 through the M340,s and M110,s,but when you put them up beside the M70,s and M700,s they didnt look that good.By not taking time to make a good fit and finish,Savage could sell what was just as good of a rifle for about 2/3,ds the money.But altho they shot as good,they weren't as pretty and didn't hold their value. sam.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Is the extra money worth it for the SAKO 223???
Anyone have suggestions for a scope to match this rifle??
Is the extra money worth it between an ADL and BDL,a Stevens or Savage?To me it depends upon whether you want pretty and efficient, or efficint.You asked about a scope,I always buy scopes at gun shops where I can bargain and check them out.You can't bargain at the bigger stores. sam.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I own 3 Sako's and have shot a Tikka and liked it a lot as well. Sam pretty much said it all when comparing the two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Tikka However, my friend has a Sako, and it is extremely nice. I would buy the Sako if I could comfortably afford it. If it was to much of a stretch, I'd buy the Tikka and never look back!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sako 223

Is the extra money worth it for the SAKO 223???

Anyone have suggestions for a scope to match this rifle??
I have looked into the 2 rifles you have mentioned in quite some detail, also a few scopes

general opinion is that a 3x9x40 is quite sufficient for most applications and a 50mm will sit higher which might make viewing a little more difficult

My suggestion is let your own eyes tell you what is best, I was guided to go for a leupold 3x9x40 but was told by someone in the professional world that would be a base line as a minnimum and I should check out europian scopes.....so I did and came across a carlzeiss conquest scope in a 3x9x40 from fisher firearms in adelaide australia..it cost a bit over $300 more and the differance was out of this world!!! the Leupold could not focus on stoplights at dusk at 250m but the zeiss not only could you see the lights as sharp as a blade, you could just about make out the name on the street sign......so that was an easy choice, I also went back in the daytime and was just as impressed, so all I can say is LOOK FOR YOURSELF and be impressed.....an easy decission 4 me, unlike the rifle.
As for sako verses Tika, harder choice as $$$ plays a big part, ask people if it wasn't an option which one would they choose..SAKO..better re-sale value for ever, better mag, better mag clips, better finnish, less plastic, correct size bolt action, not 1 size fits all..which says the same for the mag..full floating stock Heavy Varmit 85 laminated, has a fluted barrel, feels nicer and looks nicer but it costs $$ more so I understand its a hard choice, BUT if you buy a Tikka and will always wish you had bought a sako then save a little longer, like me, and get what you always wanted and buy once, as it will save you $ in the long term by trading in rifles, or a lifetime of wishing I bought the other one.....if this is not a problem for you then buy a tikka and enjoy, but do checkout a Zeiss conquest scope.
I also had a good friend who is a gun smith put his bore scope down a sako 85 before purchasing it, and he was extremely impressed and said the barrel alone was worth the money they were asking and a very smooth short action, and he said if he was in the market he would consider one for himself, and he rebuilds LOTS and LOTS of remmington 700, recons a 1/2 inch group is highly likely as stock standard.

cajm

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
Meatloaf -

Very good advice given above. The primary difference is that the sako action is of three lug design. The Tikka two. Not REALLY a big deal. They both have adjustable (well designed) trigger groups. The rest is simply cosmetic as the barrels are hammer forged at the Sako factory in Riihimaki, Finland.
Both Sako and Tikka barrels are made on the same line with the same equipment. A huge plus. I own a sako, but would not hesitate to buy a Tikka as they have earned (finally) a terrific reputation.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts