Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Their is absolutely no comparisan between a Winchester or Remington and a Tikka or Sako. Bothe the Sako and Tikka ballance MUCH better. also their actions are MUCH smoother.
Sako is the better quality riffle, but Tikka's are nipping at their heals. I'd be tickeled to death with either one!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I found that for ME, I liked the feel of the Tikka better than just about everything out there in that price range (and even some costing $300+ more). Not to say there are not some VERY nice rifles made by other makers, but I just fell in love with the Tikka T3 action and trigger feel.
I admit the Tikka magazine seems kind of chintzy to me, but that's a minor concern to me next to the trigger and action feel.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
Neither, I'd go get a Marlin XL7 or XS7 ;)

Outshoots both for 1/5th the price of the most expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some additional things to concider

I am also in agony over which one to buy (Sako or Tikka) so I am by no means an expert and own none of them. However I would like to bring light to some areas which has at least only partially been addressed in earlier posts:

• The Sako with the 3 lug bolt system, has a 60 degree action, which will for most be appreciated as a quicker smoother action than the 90 degree Tikka action (and also Remington etc action as to my understanding?)

• Sako Finnlight (75) is one of the most sought after rifles in the Nordics

• Sako has an agonising scope mounting system with no sufficient interchangeable quick-lock system that would allow for a light day scope and a bigger evening/night scope. Additionally, I have been told that it is a really messy affair to try to mount weaver sockets and other independent systems on Sako, which is really sad

• Previously I was myself strongly in favour of the Sako (Finnlight as strong candidate) since they can be picked up for reasonable price second hand (if you are fast). However, for practical hunting it is a bit annoying that with the Sako’s quality also comes a rather high “bling” factor. Several of the models have shiny/reflecting barrels which might look luxurious at the range but which needs significant camouflage treatment for the forest. It hurts to have to cover your 2000 USD rifle with hockey tape every time you take it out for real action……
Finally:
The Swedish military test centre (FMV) did a rather rigorous test of 8 hunting rifles cal .30-06 including Tikka T3 Hunter and Sako 85 Hunter, Blaser R93 and Remington 700 BDL and Browning A-Bolt etc, in light of the upcoming moose season last year (Här exploderar älgstudsaren - Testfakta). [Sorry it is in Swedish, but you might be able to pick out the essence with Google translate].

The rifles varied greatly in price with the Blaser being more than 4 times more expensive than the cheapest Howa 1500, so one can always argue that it wasn’t an even playing field. However, the results are still worth noticing. Some of the conclusions where:

• Out of the box both Sako and Tikka had among the best precision only beaten by the cheapest….Howa 1500(however, they both performed the best in the group in temperature extremes, arctic cold and when shoten hot, so will likely be the most reliable on both the range and real hunting conditions where barrel temperature can vary). Sako beating Tikka with a mere fraction.

• The Remington had the worst overall precision, by far

• When firing a shot with the pipe blocked (simulating an ice, dirt or other plug in the pipe) both the Remington and the Browning exploded right off (in the face of the user, if it had been for real). While the other rifles kept it all together. (I know that in theory you should always check that your pipe is clean just before firing, but how many does in the heat of the action after sneaking in on the hunt of the life)

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you couldn't have guessed, I really like my Tikka. It's in 7mm Mag and shoots inside an inch all day. Especially smooth bolt and a very nice, crisp trigger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tikka T6

I have Tikka T3 in .223, .243, 7m-08.
My only complaint is the scope mounts as they come from the factory.
I replaced them with DNZ mounts which are the best I've found. All three rifles have Leupold VXll 3-9x40.
Couldn't be happier with these rifles. They out shoot anything else I have in the safe and really shine if you're a reloader.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For accuracy, weight, balance, smoothness and cost, the Tikka rifles can't be beat. I bought a .243, .270 and a 30/06 and every one is a shooter. I've owned several Remington, Winchester, and Savage rifles all were more than capable shooters, but can't hold a candle to the Tikka rifles. I also use the DNZ scope mounts.
Don

·
Registered
15 Posts
Forget about all this hemming and hawing. who cares about fit and finish if the darn thing wont shoot strait! I was looking for a cheep target rifle 8 years ago and settled on the tikka t3 hunter in 30-06. Same barrel and action as a sako ...diamond lapped and extemely good quality beneath the surface. shot under one inch @ 100 with every kind of ammo i put through it, and keyholed my shots with my own hand loads. The Remington 700 BDL I own now is in 300 win-mag and with my own hand loads I'm shooting less than one inch @ 200 yards. this is typical accuracy that i have seen from Remington and i have shot many of them. I haven't seen one yet (although I'm sure they exist) that wont do at least 1" @ 100. i have had only one experience with a Winchester 70. it was my first bolt gun and no matter how i loaded it i could get no better than 3" @ 100. I bought it used and someone had probably messed it up some how so don't take this as a slam against the model 70, i just got a bad one.

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
Tikka is alittle more in my price range, I am also considering the remmington model700 just because the marines use it and its seen alot of battle time.
so the question is do you want to drive a chevy or cruise in a caddy?

I own both makes of rifles. there is quite a difference. I wouldn't want to part with either one, but if I had to, the Remmy would be the first one to leave if I had to give one up.

one thing worth noting here, out of all my rifles (several makes and models), the Tikka has been the only one that, right out of the box, has no observable copper fouling coming out of the barrel with copper solvent being used. I just put 60 rounds thru a brand new T3 Lite SS 308 this afternoon, cleaning it every 10 shots, and no other gun that I have ever owned has ever done this (Im still finding this hard to believe, but I saw it with my own eyes).
and I must mention that it started, right from the first group, shooting at, to just under an inch. (ammo was Hornady SST 150 gr.) I am very well pleased and would not hesitate on owning another of these fine weapons. all cases were indexed and I can't wait to get these reloaded with some 165 gr. SST's I have on the bench (nice to have fresh Hornady Match cases on hand now, after today).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts