Tin Foil Hat Site

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Dog, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You've heard of people wearing "tin foil hats" to protect against mind control. Well, here's the definitive website on the subject, teaching you everything you didn't want to know about this amazing subject. (And it's hillarious!) Somebody had way too much time on their hands . . .

http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

:assult: :eek:

2. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Aluminum foil.

3. Big Dog

I know, but it's still commonly called "tin foil", rather than aluminium . . . uh, alumunium . . . uh, whatever. :D

4. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

How do you pronounce aluminium, alu/min/ium or alum/inum

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

My grandmammy called it tinfoil too Big Dog!

6. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Well it was called ALUMINUM by the guy who isolated it from ALUMA, then the silly Brits just decided to add an I. And foil was made from tin, about 100 years ago. Some people could not understand the concept that foil could be made from other metals, like gold, copper, and aluminum, so the kept calling it tinfoil long after they stopped using tin. And it is similar with tin cans. They are made of steel. They were originally called "tin" because of a thin tin plating that prevented rust. I am not sure what kind of coatings they use nowadays, but doubt it is tin.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2002
  7. NRAJOE

The way people act these days I think they coat the cans with LSD or something. Government experiment maybe....hmmmmm

8. Aluminum--Tin-- humm seems much easier.

9. NRAJOE

I catch my self saying tin foil alot, probably because of granny, If people don't like it, tough noogies! :p

10. ICE BOX

FOR ME EVERYTHING IS IN THE ICE BOX WRAPED IN TIN FOIL

DANA

Last edited: Sep 9, 2002
  11. Tin Foil it's the american way.

12. NRAJOE

Knowing you, you probably still have the first one you bought and its in great shape! :)

13. Big Dog

Just like we here in the south drink "co-colas" in the "tin can". It isn't proper, but it's been said that way for a long time. Canned food is said to be in a "tin can', be it aluminum or steel. I prefer the steel cans, they hold up better at the range! :D

And not to forget the "tins" of SPAM, sardines, etc in the aluminum containers.

:target:

14. Klaus

Klaus Guest

That is for canned hot dogs, I think.

15. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I believe that some "tin cans" are coated with an alloy of copper.
    ------------------

Mick...here's how I pronounce aluminum:
    (sounds like) ah lu ma nim

Of course I've got a midwestern drawl so it may be pronounced differently in different parts of our country.

Oxford:nod:

16. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

Thanks Oxford, I find this stuff very interesting, even over here you only have to drive about 1hour and find a different accent, I don't know I must be weird.

I pronounce it alu mini um

17. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

More on pronounciation

Mick:

Some longtime residents of Missouri who live in the southeastern part of our state (we call them "ozarkers") have a very distinctive accent, too.

As far as pronunciation goes, people in this state jokingly disagree on prounouncing our state's name, Missouri. People living on the eastern part of this state pronounce Missouri as "Miz oar e". People on the western part of this state say "Miz oar uh".

Of course, since I live on the western side of this state it's obviously correct to say Miz oar uh. (ha) The argument goes on and on.

In case you weren't aware, it's approximately 250 miles across this great state of Missouruh.(ha)

Oxford:D :nod:

18. Klaus

Klaus Guest

aluminum is pronounced like it is spelled. Of course the Brits misspell it too. Aluminum is pronounced A-LUM-IN-UM. It was discovered and named by Sir Humphrey Davy and Hans Oersted. The brits, all by themselves, decided it sounded better with another I in it and changed the spelling and pronounciation.