Gun and Game Forum banner

Tips and tricks to zeroing SKS?

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Rockh0und 
#1 ·
So I went to the range today. I didnt go to the outdoor range so I wasnt trying to zero my SKS just get it on the paper a little better than it was. Every tweak seemed to throw it in a extreme other direction. any tips I should know. I plan to get to the outdoor range and actually use a bench rest, but I didnt have the time today. any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Sounds like you have the right idea - just tweak it til it's where you want it.
I assume you have the sight adjustment tool?

A company called "Tech Sights" (IIRC) is offering a really well-made adjustable peep sight that mounts on the receiver rear, behind the cover. It adjusts like the AR-15A2 sight, and is solid. I'm going to get one soon, for my Yugo.
It would make for much easier adjusting, and I've gotten to love peep sights!

#3 ·
I took my $125 piece of Romanian steel out the box, put a $3 box of ammo in, clicked the site to 300 and hit a 1.5ft plate at 300yds about 50%. Guess some commy took care of zeroing it for me. I'm afraid to clean it for fear 40yrs worth of gunk has something to do with the accuracy.

#4 ·
scope or not?

I put a scope on my SKS but could not get the darn thing to settle down...finally took it off and went with the peep it came with..moved it up 2 clicks and was hitting a 12 inch gong at 200 yards 8 out of ten shots with my tired old eyes.

Musta had that same commie tune mine in! :nod:

#6 ·
Williams makes a peep sight that replaces the origional SKS rear sight. Brownells has them for $26. Or they sell them as a set with a Fire Sight front post for $40. I've heard good and bad about the Fire Sights though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.