Gun and Game Forum banner

Should I camo My .270?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I Just Finished shortening my barrel on my shotgun to 20 inches then shortened the Stock and painted it with Krylon Fusion paint AND I got out my Model 60 and pulled off the ATI stock and just painted it camoflage (both turned out really good I think, especially the .22 as far as the paint). The paint I used is suppose to bond to the plastic Chemically not just stick on so its not suppose to flake or chip.

Any way, my question is what do you guys think, Should I cammo my .270 Weatherby Vanguard or leave it the way it is? Im not going to paint the whole gun JUST the stock.

This guy in the video clip camoflauged this rilfe similer to the design I used but not exactly the same, I stayed more of a stripe pattern with all 3 colors, the Tan being the base then striping the OD green and the Brown all the way down the stock and this is the same idea of what I was thinking of doing to my .270's stock.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8TEf4wYY_w"]YouTube - Camouflage Your Rifle[/ame]

And In my opinion my Model 60s stock turned out better than his lol, any way hope the poll works :D Tell me what you think and Why.

O and FYI The stock is synthetic and that is the reasen im thinking about going camo, if it was a wood stock I wouldnt even think about it lol.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The finish on it now is a durable finish, are you a pro? Think about it.

No im not a pro, and I did think about. Hence the reasen for this being posted, for other peoples imput.

·
Premium Member
19,804 Posts
I know you;re only thinking of doing the stock but I was wondering how well the paint on the barrel and other blued/polished parts would wear. Seems to me it would come off pretty easy. By the way, I voted to camo it.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
instead of painting it have you looked at those camo wraps or burlap strips tied around you rifle?

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
What would b the point of camo?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was just an Idea, nothing I was set on doing. I did it to the stock on my .22 because it was just plain black plastic and I still have the origanal wood stock so i just went for it. I thought about doing it to the .270 since I use it for hunting and figured the brightness of the color the stock is now may stick out but I could be wrong. Was just a thought I was kicking around lol, wasnt set on doing it. I actually was watching a video earlier of a guy who took some old BDOs and cut them into strimps and tied them around his rifle and ended up working pretty good. And another one I saw a guy took some old BDOs and actually made like a big glove that just slid over his gun and stock that he could just take off. These were some other ideas I was kicking around.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It all depends on you

If you like the camo look and have fun modding your own stocks like this, then go for it. You're not going to affect the value of a Vanguard much by doing this (in my opinion).

If you hunt with this rifle, you might want to consider the situation of the terrain in which you hunt. The current stock color might blend in well enough that the camo job wouldn't help. It also could make it blend in better.

My vote was to not camo, but it's your vote that counts.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Well,

to be honest I just do not have much faith in camo you can appy yourself.

Camo in a factory setting by professionals is another matter.

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
to be honest I just do not have much faith in camo you can appy yourself.

Camo in a factory setting by professionals is another matter.
Military folks have been doing camo themselves for many years...
You'd be SHOCKED at the easy process most Army guys use on the vehicles...

Digi-camo disgusts me...but it works...I prefer good old Woodland/Desert blotch camo from the 90's.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If the gun was a plinker and you just wanted something to do with your spare time, I'd say go for it.... but for my regular hunting rifle, I wouldn't do a DIY camo job. And... as already pointed out, I like the look of the Vanguard synthetic stock.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Sometimes we have the tendencey to get carried away. With that thought in mind I would hold off camoing anymore guns, though you did do a great job and it do look nice.
You might need to sell them during a hard time or something and what you like may not be what a buyer likes. Thus a longer wait to sell them maybe .

Just a thought...A.H

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I voted go camo,only because it's your gun and you can do what you want.
I have 2 camo guns,a Mossberg 835 that has the factory camo finish and a Stevens 200 that has a OD green finish (Dura coat)on the metal parts and a camo patern on the synthetic stock.
I wouldn't do it myself but only because I don't think I'd do a good enough job and I question the durability of the paint finish against cleaning solvents.
Bottom line is do what YOU want,it's only paint and you can always paint it again.

·
Premium Member
19,804 Posts
instead of painting it have you looked at those camo wraps or burlap strips tied around you rifle?
i'd be careful of the camo wraps as they are not waterproof and moisture can get underneath and cause rust and mildew.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'll have to agree with no camo. Any firearm usually looks best in its original condition but I do like some of the camoed rifles that I have seen. I would be concerned with the durability of a home job. It might look good for a while, but with use could also begin to look like crap. Resale value could be adverseley affected.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate all your imput, I think for now Im just going to leave it alone and maby down the road pickup a diffrent stock for it that I can camo that way I can always go back if I want.

PS in case any of you were wondering the video is NOT me :D how ever the camo he does is similer to the way I did my stock on my .22

1 - 18 of 18 Posts