To standardize or not to standardize... 45 vs 40

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Sep 5, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Right now I'm trying to decide between 45 ACP and 40 S&W for my first CCW. And there's one factor that I'm wondering whether I should consider or not.
    My friends and former friend use 45 ACP in 1911/Para Ord pistols. That means I can share ammo with 2 of my friends, including reloading equipment.
    But it also means the same caliber as a former friend... who is involved with my friend's teenage daughter, a situation that could get ugly if laws are broken or people pushed over the edge, and could involve insane actions and accusations.
    Now I'm not endeavoring to involve myself in the situation, but it's not something I can avoid 100% either. So the question of the day is whether it should affect my caliber choice.
    Another possible factor is that to a court 40 sounds more like a number than the name of a killer gun, like 45 Automatic Colt Pistol or 9mm Luger. Also more of a police caliber.
    I am fully confident in the capabilities of the 40. I had to think to conclude that 9mm wasn't enough, and 40 looks fine.
    That said, I'm well aware that 45 ACP has more knockdown power, and I am fully confident and capable in firing it. I've fired a Para and standard 1911 more effectively than any other kind.

So do any of these reasons sound silly or incorrect?

2. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Hind sight is 20/20. If your the one on the ground you have no hind sight.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep a cool head and pick .45!

3. Rock

Rock Guest

Go with the 45...

4. Klaus

Klaus Guest

I like the .40. But also have no problem with the .45, 357 mag, ".44"mag, or even 9mm or .38spl.

5. BattleRifleG3

I'm basically aware of the physical characteristics of the 40, 45, 9mm, 38, 357 Rem Mag, and such. I've fired all but the 40, but being as I've fired 45 and 9mm I think I have a good idea of where it'll end up.
    What I hoped to hear on this thread were opinions on the non-physical issues.

6. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Use the .45
    sharing ammo should make it worth while.
    you were too vague with the other part of the equation to have others make judgment calls on your behalf.

7. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

.45ACP Kimber 1911A1

:eek: I think you should go with the .45ACP first (notice I said first, implying that you will eventually get the .40) :nod: :target:

8. BattleRifleG3

Ah, someone who understands... (that is, that I will eventually get the 40, which is probably true). I've concluded that I'll try to rent a 40 and try it next to my friend's 45. See If I really need full size and which grip I'm most comfortable with. Then I'll see how much money I have come my birthday. That'll probably be the deciding factor. I know I can get a 1911 and can handle it. So if I can afford something higher, I'll have to decide. Otherwise, no sense stressing out.
    I figure the situation of identifying bullets isn't a big deal, since if they recover a bullet, they could identify the style as easily as the caliber, so I'll just choose my own bullets and have the individuality that I wanted.
    I still think a 40 would have it's perks. I'd be the only guy I know with one.

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I'm the only guy I know with an Auto Ordnance 1911A1...

10. hipowr

hipowr Guest

Stick with the .45. The bigger hole always wins. A second factor is that the .45 is a ***** cat. Chamber pressures are reasonable and the ammo performs very well on the street. The .40's also perform well, but it really is hot ammo. All that extra chamber pressure has to wear something! Get the .45 that suits you best and get out there and shoot it alot.

later,
    AJ