close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tobacco money

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, Apr 20, 2002.

1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Hey remember that tobacco settlement a couple of years ago? Its suppose to go for healthcare costs; and in NC half is supposed to go to a non profit fund used to offset the losses of tobacco farmers due to the tobacco companies cutting back.
    Well Guess What? Gov. Mike Easley is going to SIEZE control of the money to see if it is needed to balance the budget before any gets distributed.

Yep its all about $$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$$$

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

900 Million, he is mighty greedy no question there....

3. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

A little less

It was reported that he was going to sieze somewhere around 65 million. But it is greed. We are in the hole this year (AGAIN) for about 800 million. He has already withdrawn payments to counties/cities and raised the sales tax 1/2 cent for the local governments in order to compensate for this.

OOOOHHH MONEY MONEY MONEY KISS KISS KISS

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

thats all it was about a few greedy people, toss in some slick lawers, fold in an idiot jury system, sprinkle in politicians and bake until your cooked!!! think i'll go down to MCdees order a coffee and light up a camel!!! see what i can get!!!

5. Fellows, I've been here in the Tarheel state all my life, a native son, and I can tell you that the farmers who raise tobacco have always gotten the short end of the stick as far as the money situation goes.

6. I'm a "Tar Heel" and this is not the first time that Gov Easley has seized funds to help make up budget short falls. In the past he seized the pension money for teachers. A really "nice " guy. Sarcasm intended.P.S. I didn't vote for him!!!!!!!!! My wife is a retired teacher.

7. bob white,

The money federal employees pay in to the retirement system (especially those in the old system) was snached up and put into the general fund as soon as it was paid in. The money for their retirement pay has to be appropriated each year and could be voted out during any budget cycle.

:fuss:

8. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Tobacco money,big promisses,high ideals,help the people,yeah,right,what the H**L did we REALLY expect!
    SOS:mad: :mad: :mad:

9. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

Same thing happening in Colorado. They say they need to make up for a " budget defecit." It's all about money, and it's the same everywhere you go!