close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Today is Viet Nam Veterans Memorial Day

Discussion in 'Veterans' started by mdj696, Mar 29, 2018.

1. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

I have miniature bronze statue of the 3 man statue at The Wall in Washington. The sculpture made 500 miniature statues serial numbered. The White House has #1, Smithsonia #2, I have #3. hart statue.jpg

2. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    Thank you, you guy's never got the recognition you all deserved.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

WOW!!! thanks I forgot yesterday was our Memorial Day.:(:(:(
    Love that statuette, who made it? :):):D :usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2:

jwrauch likes this.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I may offend some people by saying this, but I have never liked that statue. It was created because a number of government officials didn't at the time understand Maya Lin's design and the statement it makes. They wanted something in the representational tradition to commemorate the service of those who didn't come home from Vietnam.

They also wanted to put the statue at the apex of the monument, where the two wings of the Wall come together. Maya Lin very properly objected to that placement, correctly maintaining that putting the Hart statue there would totally change the focus of her work and reduce it to a mere backdrop to the statue of the Three Soldiers. That's why Hart's piece was placed off to one side, as if the Three Soldiers are coming to the Memorial to search for the names of fallen comrades -- or perhaps, their own. It heightens the impact of the Wall. But I don't feel it is necessary. Maya Lin knew what she was saying, and what she was doing; and she didn't need a representative sculpture to make her point.

White Rook, Ron Eagle Elk and Jay like this.
  5. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

The statue was made by Fredrick Hart. Same artist that made the original statue. An excellent movie showing the founding of the Wall and statue "To Heal A Nation" with Eric Roberts. It came out in 1988. A really moving movie especially at the end. If you havn't seen it, its available on line. If you watch it let me know. The part that chokes me up every time is a girl etching names on the wall and runs across her little brothers name.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    PAPA G and jwrauch like this.
  6. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

Heres cover of the the movie looks like. I couldn't get it to rotate. Project1.jpg

PAPA G and jwrauch like this.
  7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    I know I am late to this post.
    Since I came home from VN in 1967 I stayed as far away from any thing related to there other than the stint I still had to do before released from service. During that time I really had wished I would have stayed till I could have went home and not put up with the state side bull crap.

After I got married my wife was putting stuff away I had not in our new house. She saw my dog tags and service ribbons. She ask what they were all about and I just said I had been to VN didn't want to talk about it.

OH she couldn't be content with that, for my birthday she bought me a book The long Jounery Home. I didn't attempt to read it for over 5 years.
    1986 we were on vacation on our motorcycle in Michigans UP. All week long all the radio stations every one, it seemed was talking about the traveling VN wall in Escanaba for a week at the college. All week long after one of those annoucements I had to listen to her saying we should go. All week she listened to me say shut up, I am not going.

Well on Friday I was stupid and took the road to Escanaba on our way back to home. When we hit Escanaba I really had to listen to her no amount of volumne was covering up her voice in my ear.
    OK I finally said and went back.

Had to leave the bike there for a long time, 5 hours in fact walked into town and sat in a fast food resturant for a long time, then walked to the park on the beach and just sat there trying as hard as I could get my emotions under control.

Finally walked back and got the bike glad there was no cops on east bound US 2 as I was rideing hard getting those emotions to blow away.

Then Full Metal Jacket was released once again I had to listen to her nagging me to take her. Maybe if she saw it she would under stand.
    That movie as far as I am coarsened yet today was a bunch of crap and told her so.

She finally started to leave me alone when we went to my folks and my mom pulled out all the pictures to show her while i was out with my dad and brother.

I watch the movie provided in the link I woke up at 3:00 AM to watch it because I didn't know how it would effect me.

I admit I did a lot of crying and sniffling.

I thank you very much for the movie. I never knew about it.

I also agree the statue was not needed. I have been to the traveling wall where they don't have the statue and I have experinced first hand the impact of that wall and it isn't need what the wall in Washington is.

:D Al

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    PAPA G and Cyrano like this.