Today Is............................

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PAPA G, Sep 17, 2002.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

the 215 anniverary of the signing of the Constitution of the United States, the greatest document on earth. its a crime that our schools no longer "teach" the Constitution, American History, and Civics.

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Here's A little info. on Missouri school requirements...

Papa G:

Missouri schools include American History as a graduation requirement. Within that course is a unit on the American constitution.

Also, a course labeled "civics" isn't taught but instead our district requires a course in "citizenship" to be taken by all freshmen.

Within that course it is a gradutation requirement to do X amount of voluntary community service hours. I believe lots of schools have this requirement in this part of the country.

Oxford:nod:

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

U.S.A., U.S.A., U.S.A. .....GOD bless America!

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'll have to check with some co-workers who have kids, and see how the local schools do now. When I was there, we had some okay classes, like "USBAWP" - United States Becomes A World Power. it was fairly decent - history hadn't been too seriously rewritten then.
    The teachers were definitely Libs, though. We were allowed to go to a "victory party" for a local School Board candidate - Democrat female (she lost! LOL), and the booze was flowing freely. (Did I mention we were under age?) If I only knew then what I know now, what fun we could've had! :D
    Math has suffered. While taking a Programming course at the Votech School, we had some High School students with us. We "old timers" had to teach them how to do Square roots properly. They were lost without their calculators. Elementary students aren't required to learn the multiplication tables anymore. But they know the birthdates of all the Civil Rights leaders. Changing times. :rolleyes:

:fuss:

5. PAPA G

great that your school district still teaches American History Oxford.mine only gives a little bit, covering the American War for Independence, and the Civil War. maybe 2 pages. my daughter has a school book that is basically world history and deals with the rest of the world, little American subjects. eons ago in my schools we had prayers, reading a Bible verse, Pledge of Alligence, and singing "MY COUNTRY TIS of THEE". we learned how this country started, the War of Independence, the Constitution, War of 1812, Civil War, Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, Korean War, and all the current fracas's. living where i did we took field trips to Independence Hall, Carpenters Hall, Betsey Ross's house, Valley Forge. my teachers either lived in history, or were WWII or Korean War veterans, and made history. so sad that all of it is just a memory, rather than being alive.

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Timely School Humor

On second thought, it's too true to be funny . . .

Teaching Math in 1950:
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.
    His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.
    What is his profit?

Teaching Math in 1960:
    His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80.
    What is his profit?

Teaching Math in 1970:
    A logger exchanges a set "L" of lumber for a set "M" of money.
    The cardinality of set "M" is 100.
    Each element is worth one dollar.
    Make 100 dots representing the elements of the set "M."
    The set "C", the cost of production contains 20 fewer points than set "M."
    Represent the set "C" as a subset of set "M" and answer the following question:
    What is the cardinality of the set "P" of profits?

Teaching Math in 1980:
    His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20.
    Your assignment:
    Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math in 1990:
    By cutting down beautiful forest trees, the logger makes $20.
    What do you think of this way of making a living?
    Topic for class participation after answering the question:
    How did the forest birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down the trees?
    There are no wrong answers.

Teaching Math in 2000:
    His cost of production is $120.
    How does Arthur Andersen determine that his profit margin is $60

Teaching Math in 2010:
    El hachero vende un camion carga por $100.
    La cuesta de production es.............

:confused: :fuss: :(

7. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Results of fed aid to schools...........War veterans as teachers

Big Dog:

There's some truth to what you posted. Too many times a rigorous course gets watered down in order to teach to the masses.

In public school the feds require teachers to accept every student, regardless of race, creed, religion and ability to enroll in courses. Unfortunately, if a school district accepts federal funds then it is bound by the rules set down by the feds, too.

As a result of all this, a class may consist of some students who are very bright and some who are very slow learners, some who are deaf, some who are nearly blind, and some who have all kinds of other "learning disabilities".

With class sizes ranging between 24-35 students teachers feel compelled to teach to the masses.

The obvious result is that accelerated students aren't challenged and the slow students fail. The next step is that too many teachers then start "watering down" their requirements in order to show that a higher percentage of students pass. It's a vicious cycle. The result is that everyone loses.

Wish it wasn't true but I've seen the above scenario happen time and again.

----------------------

Papa G:

Regarding your comments on veterans teaching world history and American history...you're absolutely right. I've known some teachers in those classes who were "war" veterans and they stood out well above other teachers who had only read about history.

In addition to teaching qualities of those veterans...they were excellent disciplinarians, too. Most wouldn't put up with any B.S.

Oxford:nod:

8. PAPA G

Oxford, i had a 1st year English teacher Mr. Rondum. one time we were getting a little rowdy, so he yells quiet, when things settled down he puts his left leg on his desk, and pulls up his pant leg, revealing a very scarred leg. and he says," i got this at Anzio, so the kids like you can learn." he never had a bit of trouble out of us for the rest of the year, ya gotta love it!!!

9. NRAJOE

10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

English must be a required course in the USA.

NRAJOE:

That was a good site you posted. I wasn't aware of some of the information posted there.

I'm definitely a believer in having English taught as the primary language. Any other languages taught must be secondary to our comman American language which is, of course, English.

With the international marketing needs in today's business world, there's a need to teach our American students other languages but only after they've mastered English.

To only teach foreigh language(s) and not teach English in the USA is definitely wrong as far as I'm concerned. English must be a required course. Any other language taught must be an elective.

Oxford :nod:

11. NRAJOE

I thought you out of all the people here would like that site! :right:

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Here's a joke that relates to what we've been talking about.

A local business was looking for office help. They put a sign in the window
    stating the following: "HELP WANTED. Must be able to type, must be good
    with a computer and must be bilingual. We are an Equal Opportunity
    Employer."

A short time afterwards, a dog trotted up to the window, saw the sign and
    went inside. He looked at the receptionist and wagged his tail, then walked
    over to the sign,looked at it and whined.

Getting the idea, the receptionist got the office manager. The office manager
    looked at the dog and was surprised, to say the least. However, the dog
    looked determined, so he lead him into the office. Inside, the dog jumped
    up on the chair and stared at the manager.

The manager said "I can't hire you. The sign says you have to be able to
    type." The dog jumped down, went to the typewriter and proceeded to type
    out a perfect letter. He took out the page and trotted over to the manager
    and gave it to him, then jumped back on the chair.

The manager was stunned, but then told the dog "the sign says you have to
    be good with a computer." The dog jumped down again and went to the
    computer.The dog proceeded to enter and execute a perfect program, that
    worked flawlessly the first time.

By this time the manager was totally dumb-founded! He looked at the dog
    and said "I realize that you are a very intelligent dog and have some
    interesting abilities. However, I *still* can't give you the job."

The dog jumped down and went to a copy of the sign and put his paw on the
    sentences that told about being an Equal Opportunity Employer. The
    managersaid "yes, but the sign *also* says that you have to be
    bilingual."

The dog looked at the manager calmly and said, "Meow":D :nod: