close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tokarev or CZ52

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by amadeus77, Apr 7, 2002.

1. amadeus77

amadeus77 G&G Newbie

I am pretty new to the gun issue but I am interested in the CZ52 or Tokarev. Since they are both the came caliber can you give me some goods and bads about them. Thanks ....
    amadeus77

2. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Why yes I can :)

He is what two CZ shooters told me, the latter just today.

When I was canvasing a gun show for rounds. I asked one guy and he turned to his wife and asked her to tell me what she thought of it.
    She Said : "Nasty little handgun, It won't stay in my hand, keeps twisting sideways. I have to admit, it does shoot good"

Next was a dealer who had one on his bench for sale today.

He said: "Good shooter, great round. One of the few that will still go thru 90% of all vesting made." "Its a ripper, and keeps on going"

Both these folks are gun dealers I met at shows.

You Deside :)

3. GaryG

GaryG G&G Newbie

I've owned and shot both guns. I find that the Tokarev has an uncomfortable grip and I wouldn't shoot one without a slide-on rubber grip. With the $8 slide-on grip the gun is OK. The larger CZ is a bit more comfortable but still below the 1911 or Browning Hi-Power. Here the grip angle is the culprit. Again, a cheap slide-on rubber grip will help a lot.
    As for reliability, both guns are tops. These guns were not made to fail on the battlefield. A word about ammo - there are two types of 7.62x25 surplus ammo around. They look exactly the same. One fires at about 1100 fps and it a good, comfortable load with plenty of power and accuracy. The second type fires at 1400 fps and is hell on wheels. Neither will blow up your gun, but the slower ammo is a lot more fun to shoot. I've stayed away from the European ammo (usually hot) and like to use the Chinese (usually not-as-hot).
    Bottom line - both guns sell for way less than they would if USA made. The CZ-52 would be my choice. It's a big, solid, reliable gun by a quality manufacturer.

4. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

The CZ-52 for sure! There is nothing wrong with the TT-33, but the CZ is MUCH better workmanship, more accurate in my oponion, and can handle hotter loads. As far as ammo goes, the S&B is great if you reload, if not, it's not any more accurate than the steel/berdan surplus, just a bit more expensive.

5. amadeus77

amadeus77 G&G Newbie

thanks for input

Thank you all for advice. I have shoot a TT but a long time ago. I was to young at that time to know anything about it. I was partial to that gun because I was introduced to it early.
    I read about CZ and I liked what I saw but I wanted to check with peolple who have first hand experience.
    Is it really true that one can find a CZ52 relatively cheap (in $100's)? I have read that but I have not seen one yet.
    Thanks.

amadeus77

6. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

7. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I have the CZ-52 and my understanding...is that the CZ-52 is capable of handeling "hoter" ammo...I read somewear that the checks made the pistol to handle SMG ammo and that the Tokerov is not designed for it.

8. Kyrie

Kyrie G&G Newbie

Hi Bob,

I’m afraid all the things one hears about the CZ 52 being designed for “hotâ€￾ ammunition is just advertising. The CZ 52 was designed for the Soviet M30 TT-33 Tokarev cartridge. It’s also not an especially good design (note the hammer drop safety failures), nor is it especially durable (note all the rebuild markings one finds on these pistols).

Please don’t take all this wrong - I do like the CZ 52 - I think I have five, at the moment :)

Best regards,

Kyrie

9. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Anyone know what exactly the bore diameter is of the 7.62x25? Can it take .308 caliber bullets?

10. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Sure can battle rifle G3, In fact that's what you'll find the S&B fodder is.

11. BSchroeder

BSchroeder G&G Newbie

Toakrev

I have both a cz 52 and a TT-33 Tokarev. It looks like I am in the minority here, but I much prefer the Tokarev. I always thought the cz 52 backstrap got into the web of my had too much. It was hard to get a comfortable grip on it.

Just my $0.02.

Ben

12. bigwheel

bigwheel G&G Newbie

CZ 52

I own a CZ 52 and have shot a friends, Tolk... The Tolk is uncomfortable. My CZ had better scare the bad guys off with the HUGE muzzle blast, cuz you aint gonna hit anything with it! I eventually replaced the barrel with a 9mm luger barrel from FAC. Better control and improved accuracy. Also, ammo is much cheaper to come by. I reload, so I can shoot up a storm with it.
    I'll keep the CZ as a lesser of two losers. For the money , find a Colt sistema .45 acp. Got it, LOVE IT!:assult: :target:

13. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

HECK,BUY BOTH OF THEM. NEITHER COSTS A WHOLE LOT.

14. bigwheel

bigwheel G&G Newbie

NRAJOE

He'z right , buy both for the bucks. Better yet, buy all three , they're C&R. For around 5 bills, you can have three nice pieces.:target:

15. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

DARN STRAIGHT BIGWHEEL,GOOD THINKING,NOW YOU GOT ME LOOKING AT THE CHECKBOOK!