Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen snakeheads in tanks before and had a look on youtube and found they have been in your country for some time as a pest feral fish.I would hate to think what would happen if they were released here.How many of my fellow fisher buddies have caught one of these monster fish?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I haven't seen any yet. I'm more worried about the pythons we have in Florida working there way up here. All it takes is one dumba$$ to ruin things for everybody.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Lot harder to eradicate a species than to start one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
We used to have them in our fishtanks. Illegal to import now (obviously). Instead they import Pike Ciclids instead. Nasty top predator just like the snakehead. They will kill everything they can get their jaws on.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Up here in Minnesota some dumb a-- thought it was a good idea to bring in the Asian beetle (looks like a lady bug) the darn things bite, the birds won't eat them because the release a stink and they are a bigger problem then they were to fix. Nice play dumb a--. The guy in Florida is right those snakes are getting to be a problem there. Also some dumb a-- let russian pigs loose in the wild and now the wild hogs are gaining ground they will be in all 48 states before long (hope they don't learn to swim or the other two are in trouble. sorry I know its not fishing but I needed to vent.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hate to say it, but there aint many feral hogs here in Az. Kinda would be nice to hunt sum-thing, that I don't have to get drawn for... Even worse since I didn't get a stinking tag this year.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Up here in Minnesota some dumb a-- thought it was a good idea to bring in the Asian beetle (looks like a lady bug) the darn things bite, the birds won't eat them because the release a stink and they are a bigger problem then they were to fix. Nice play dumb a--. The guy in Florida is right those snakes are getting to be a problem there. Also some dumb a-- let russian pigs loose in the wild and now the wild hogs are gaining ground they will be in all 48 states before long (hope they don't learn to swim or the other two are in trouble. sorry I know its not fishing but I needed to vent.
Hogs happen to be VERY good swimmers..

·
Registered
335 Posts
We are getting the hogs here in Upstate NY also. My bro and his friend saw one yesterday on their way back from checking out his treestand.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
Actually, the so-called Python Problem isn't nearly what the MSM is blowing it out of proportion to be. They are very secretive - you may go your whole life and NEVER see one. They are NOT preying on people or pets - the gators have that market sewed up....... :smirk:
The Gambian Rat is a far greater problem - released 'pets' taking to the wilds. Heck, I see the Pythons as a good balance for the rat problem...... :)

I have not heard of the Snakeheads being in my AO yet - but anything is possible......

·
Registered
191 Posts
When you come visit Washington, DC bring your fishing pole, the Potomac River is being taken over by snakeheads.

Snakeheads everywhere - Washington Times

The northern snakehead, a tooth-laden, exotic creature dubbed Frankenfish by fright-happy headline writers who wouldn't know a catfish from a vacuum cleaner, now is being increasingly seen on the business end of fishing lures by bass anglers from below Great Falls to Virginia's Aquia Creek - a long stretch of river.
Why bass fishermen? Like a bass, the snakeskin-patterned foreign invader apparently is occasionally fooled by the same artificial lures, believing them to be food.
But what was once confined to Little Hunting Creek - subsequently and in larger numbers also in Dogue Creek, a broad water area on the Virginia side of the Potomac - now is making its presence felt up and down the waterway and no one really has any ideas how to stop it. Federal and state fisheries officials have ruled that the snakehead cannot be released after being caught. It must be killed, then disposed of on dry land (not in water), put into a trash can or such.

Prince George's County bass boaters Bob Troup and Steve Hawks not long ago caught young snakeheads on topwater lures inside Maryland's Pomonkey Creek, followed by a snakehead catch in the back of the Piscataway creek.

On a recent Tuesday, I spotted a Maryland Department of Natural Resources electro-shock boat crew in the Mattawoman Creek and asked what they were doing. DNR biologist Tim Groves said, "We're looking for snakeheads, and we're finding them." (The DNR electro-shock team lately has managed to get at least 10 snakeheads every day.)

Scientists say snakehead's impact still hard to judge - Washington Times

The snakehead's roe floats in the water and - if the water is suitably warm - can hatch within 30 hours. Once hatched, a 3/4-inch long fry is capable of feeding on tiny crustaceans and fish larvae. The snakehead also is an obligate air breather. It can survive in oxygen-depleted water by rising to the surface and inhaling air and can survive several days without water as long as it remains moist. Most of the scientists who have worked with the snakehead species agree it is too early to make a judgment regarding the snakehead's impact on the waters it has been introduced in, but these fish are predators and will compete with native predatory species for food.

While juvenile snakeheads eat insect larvae, small crustaceans, zooplankton, even the fry of other fish species, the adult snakehead feeds mostly on other fish, as long as they're smaller and the prey fits into its mouth, but frogs, crayfish, water snakes, even young muskrats and birds can become part of their diet. Typical snakehead habitat includes ponds, swamps, slow-moving muddy streams and tidal feeder creek shallows

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
They can swim, there is a buddy of mine in texas that was telling me about how he was camped out on an island in a big lake and when he got there there were NO pigs, the next morning they heard splashing in the water and all of a sudden he had a whole heard of hogs on there island. they swam a good 200 yards to get out there btw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts