Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by mouser868, Apr 30, 2018.

1. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

we are still having hard freezes.

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    Ya once again the apple trees are in blossum and we had a light freeze.

:D Al

3. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

Missouri
    88 here today.

animalspooker likes this.
  4. It was in the 90s for the 4th day in a row here. I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting the garden going this spring.

animalspooker likes this.
  5. ghost_raven

ghost_raven G&G Evangelist

I'd originally been planning on keeping my garden small because of the drought (and I still have a bunch of fruit trees anyway), but the forecasters are expecting a good monsoon season, so I decided, what the heck.

I have around 16 Espanola hot pepper plants, 4 Carribean Red Habanero, 2 Trinidad Scorpion... some potatoes, sweet pumpkins, and watermelon.

Also added another green gage plum tree.

animalspooker and ncnascarlady like this.
  6. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

I've got tomatoes, peppers, and herbs going. The tomatoes are already starting to produce fruit and the Anaheim pepper plant has its first two buds too. I planted two chayote squash hills but they seem to be stagnant for now. I've got pumpkin, lettuce, and radish seed. I'll start the lettuce and radish this week. I might give the pumpkin seed away. I've also got a couple of packs of mustard seed left over from last year. Any guesses on if they will sprout?

7. They should! I've planted 3-4 year old seeds and they've done well.

8. One of my plants already has a blossom on it

ncnascarlady likes this.
  9. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

And 95 yesterday! Welcome to Missouri huh writerinmo?

writerinmo likes this.
  10. writerinmo

Missouri
    It's that time of year when I work in the shop till about 2pm then go into the house and drink sweet tea and wait for dinner, then go back out for a couple hours. Mowed my first copperhead here a couple hours ago, a small one about 8-10 inches long. Blackberry patch is all blooms looks like a good crop this year. Gonna put out traps for them damned Japanese beetles this year and see if I can thin them out and get more berries for myself.

ncnascarlady likes this.
  11. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

I know what you mean writer. Gotta be in the shade from 1 to 6p for me. Our blackberries are in full bloom to. Thickest blooms I've seen in years. No snakes though...besides the one I found in my pumphouse last week. I keep a lot of feed in there so he's more than welcome to stay, at least until he eats so many mice that he gets fat enough that he's crowding me! Didn't know about the beetles eating the blackberries. Do they put that big of a hurt on them? Do I need traps? Are you talking about the ones that look like lady bugs or the big ones that are about the size of a dime?

writerinmo likes this.
  12. writerinmo

Missouri
    The beetles that are pestering me are shiny green and about the size of a small June bug, they eat the leaves on the blackberry vines but as soon as the fruit ripens they swarm over onto them. They spend the winter as grubs underground and hatch about a week before the fruit ripens in my experience. The traps are five gallon buckets with a bit of water, mashed bananas and some yeast. Put the lid on with a hole in it, put a big funnel in the hole and smear a bit of the banana concoction in the funnel, they land and will slide down into the bucket.

ncnascarlady likes this.