Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by mouser868, Apr 30, 2018.

1. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I think they do that from too much water.
    kind of an oxymoron when they are sitting in a cup devoid of any moisture so we water them.
    and water them again.

I'm suffering the same thing right now... except for the ones I grew from seed and have in larger 'quart' size containers I water those far less often.

when you plant them, just plant them some deeper like you would a tomato.

neophyte likes this.
  2. runfiverun

a FYI for those that don't know.
    peppers and tomatoes don't rely on bees or flies to pollinate them.

they are self pollinators.
    they drop their own pollen down on to their own stamen to pollinate ad make their fruit.
    there is no male and female flowers like a squash has, they are all fruit bearing flowers.
    Egg plants also do the same thing.

so what they do require is either light winds or someone needs to go and 'shake' them very gently to release the pollen.
    best done in the morning.

I usually tap the leaves near the flowers, with stuff like bell peppers you will actually see a poof of pollen come out of the flower.

neophyte, ncnascarlady and shanebrews like this.

3. runfiverun

oh and yes I said flies pollinating plants.
    many moths and butterflies also pollinate our plants.

in fact more plants are pollinated by flies and moths than by bees.
    birds pollinate flowers too but not really anything in our gardens.

neophyte and ncnascarlady like this.
  4. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

My early season maters are still in the greenhouse with the fan on them and man are they getting after it. Getting big, some even blossoming. I can control their water and they're on a roll, but I gotta get them in the ground soon or I'll be trying to harvest tomatos out of a planter tray!

shanebrews, neophyte and Cyrano like this.
  5. runfiverun

I can only get ripe tomatoes if I grow them in the green house.
    I grow only one plant but make sure it's an indeterminate plant and then run it up into the rafters.
    I will also let a couple of the suckers run out and pull them up to the roof too.
    last year I got over 40 tomatoes off one plant like that.
    if I grow them outside I get like 6 green tomatoes that freeze.

6. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Our tomatoes are planted and about 8" tall. After so much rain, we have had 2 weeks with no precipitation so the garden was powder dry. Had to water it to get seeds and maters going.

But I am curious on something: a few years ago, I recall seeing advertising where you put the tomato plant in upside down and hang it and let it grow that way. I never tried it but it looked kinda iffy to me. Seems like the plant would naturally try to grow upright.
    Has anyone tried it?
    Did it actually work? Or was it just a gimmick to sell?

7. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

My tomato plants have tons of blooms and no tomatoeso_O