close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tomcat problems

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jon G., Mar 24, 2002.

1. Jon G.

Jon G. G&G Newbie

I just picked up a new tomcat. After 100 rounds, the safety no longer "clicked" into position. I noticed that the grips were loose. I also saw something that looked loose in the grip area.

It turns out that there is a pin that is spring loaded that came out of position on the safety switch. For the life of me, I can't get the pin to stay in and put the grips back on. Any hints?

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I had this happen when I replaced the grips on mine... the pin goes underneath the rearward notch in the safety... there's a little dimple it goes in if my memory serves. The trick is to get the pin and spring depressed and in place under tension as you put the grips on...a tricky task. You may want to put the whole Tomcat in a large Ziplock or paper bag since the spring and plunger will go to "spring heaven" if they come loose before the grips are on. If you have further trouble a local gunsmith or Beretta may be the solution. For your info: During Beretta armorer's school, they didn't allow any instruction, suggestions, or guides on the Tomcat... it is simply a factory only Beretta pistol with little guide from them exept "send it back...". Hope this helps.

Jesse

3. Jon G.

Jon G. G&G Newbie

What may help is to take the slide off of it, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how it comes off. Yes, I put teh barrel up all the way, I pull back the slide about 1/8 inch, and lift up, but it won't slide forward off the frame. Any help?

4. Jon, I don't specifically remember how the safety comes off on the Tomcat, but on may guns of this design, the safety has to be turned downward to get it out and also to release the plunger and spring. Trick here is, that the grips normally keep the safety from turning down enough to release the plunger and remove the safety. Since your grips loosened, perhaps the safety turned down enough for this to occur. If I'm right, then try pushing the plunger in and turning the safety upward to retain everything and replace the grips and snug them down. Hope this helps,

5. Jon G.

Jon G. G&G Newbie

Actually, the safety comes out in either the up or down positon, so long as the grips are off. I took the gun to the dealer, and even more "good" news. The pin that the safety plunger pin presses against was not fully seated, so that when the grips loosened, it was just enough to let the plunger pin out. Also, the slide won't come off the gun. It wasn't just me - they guys at the shop couldn't do it either. So, today I sent it off to Beretta.

The funny thing is that a. I was looking at a S&W 38 (ex state police), and was told it was "unreliable" (phewwww!), and I just picked up a new .32 ppk/s, and after 300 rounds, the slide wouldn't stay open after last shot, and it wasn't always able to load rounds! This gun is now at a different shop, where I got that from.

6. Jon G.

Jon G. G&G Newbie

I sent the gun back to Beretta, and I had it back within 2 weeks. Not too shabby. . . .