close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Too Many Forums!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by fred, Apr 21, 2002.

1. I appreciate the job that all the administrators are doing but I find that the things I am interested in are spread all over the map. There are too many forums to search through: example: custom handgun forum AND tales of the wheelgun AND general handgun AND semiauto handgun AND revolvers. It's like filing M&M's under every possible color instead of under candy. My 5 cents worth, anyway.

2. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Glad I'm not the only one

I agree with ya fred - way too many forums; for me anyway. But if they are being used then I guess they are needed, if not then I'm sure they will be eliminated. I spend most of my time on this forum since the changeover. I use to visit the Mosin and Turk site mostly.

3. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

The general forums at the top are for stories and testimonials. The lower forums are for technical information and " how to", dealing with military firearms, different firearms manufacturers, and general types of firearms. I have tried to have something for everyone and we only add about 20% of the forums that are requested. We started with 57 on the old site and decided to expand the military firearms section on the new board. The rest were added by e-mail or PM request. Sorry guys but sometimes it's hard to wear two shoes on the same foot. I try to accomidate site members the best I can to make them feel at home.

Jesse

4. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

OKAY

I like your reasoning for it. Just keep working at it. I visit another site that is strictly k98 and variants aftera couple of months I have assimilated as much as I can with out getting a book and memorizing it. I don't visit as much but occasionally hit it to catch up on things. I'm not sure if you can reach a median between stories/rants and strictly technical info without getting too big. I wish you luck. I have noticed that the rifle forums seem to be a bit less active now. Do not know exactly why but hope it will pick up. Good luck Jesse. I'll still visit even though now I will have to scroll a tiny bit to get here(The Gun Room) due to the extra forums! LOL

5. Jesse

We are going to merge some of the forums that recieve less activity to allow some space. Don't expect a tremendous amount of board activity with the weather like it is... mostly people coming in, checking posts, posting briefly and leaving. Just for everyone's info., we are advertising now in Gun List to help with the traffic.

Jesse

6. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Jesse,how 'bout adding a Monty Python board,and a Confession room,maybe an "ask the Rabbi" forum?

7. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Wes,
    What idea would Ask the Rabbi be? Like ask about Gun Laws?

I did have an idea about a Show off Room sorta deal where you post your "baby" off. I didnt know if that might be something similar or not.

8. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Rabbi's know everything. If you ever try to stump them,the answer you get is,"Well,it wouldn't hurt." Just bein' me?????

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Silly Rabbi, kicks are for trids!

10. Jesse

11. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

You'll need to tweak the system continually.

Jesse: You're on the right track the way you've got this forum going. It shouldn't take most viewers long to figure out how to get to their specific forums and threads.

As I see it, the way you've got G&G.Com set up I can quickly get to the forums I'm interested in, or I can always go to the listing of all of my comments to get back to the thread.

And lastly, your system sends me e-mail messages telling me that someone has posted something on a thread I've been using.

Of course since change is constant, I'm sure you'll need to tweak the sytem continually.

Good luck

Oxford :nod:

12. Thanks, Jesse. You do have a point about useage. I guess the moral is use it or lose it. It does take quite a while to navigate thru the various forums and threads, though.

13. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

What iff there was a list of every forum under the category on the frontpagew when you came here? Would that help or would it make one huge home page....I need your ideas/comments as it helps me think of ways to solve problems and make things easier to move.

14. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Dang and I wanted a forum for the "Puckel Gun"

You just can't find any one intersted in talking about it any more.

Raise of hand from anyone whom know what I'm talking about

15. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

there are too many forums to me, but as long as people are communicating then keep them. i see the CAI GARANDS forum has been dumped, i beleive the CARCANO forum will be next. use them, or lose them!!!:fuss: :D