Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Global Warming Enthusiast
I once hunted in all the woods in North Georgia with friends. They all dropped out due health issues (four passed away from natural causes).

I am getting older today (on Medicare), and I am thinking of hiring younger folks for help. I can still walk the woods, but I can't get the deer back to camp. I'd offer them $200 per day, and they get to hunt as well. Fair deal or not?
I'm just a couple hours from you, at age 58 I'm no spring chicken but if you set up the hunting lease and know the area I'll buy my own tag, hunt with you, and help you pack it out for free. I have a side x side my man... with a winch. We'll get out of there with all your meat and our backs intact. Throw the backstraps on the fire and talk about lever guns.

Premium Member
I'm just a couple hours from you, at age 58 I'm no spring chicken but if you set up the hunting lease and know the area I'll buy my own tag, hunt with you, and help you pack it out for free. I have a side x side my man... with a winch. We'll get out of there with all your meat and our backs intact. Throw the backstraps on the fire and talk about lever guns.
You鈥檙e a [email protected] good man, Lance.

You鈥檙e a [email protected] good man, Lance.
Well thank you my friend, but I don't know about all that... what I do know is:

Never stop. Age be damned. Let me die in the woods, in the deepest, steepest, darkest part of the wilderness, with a rifle in my hand and meat on my back. Preferably alone except for God.
This. After 40 years of falling through floors, off of ladders, almost cutting my hand off with a saw, a 12 fall from a deck, and who knows what else... I'll still work, but I don't want to die there. I didn't bust my hump all these years to shrivel up and die on the sofa either. I've seen too many of my customers like that, if that's how they want to go out then fine, but not me. And I mean this for all my G&G brethren (and sisters where appropriate) if you guys want to get together and hunt let's do it. And that includes the OP and someone I consider as a friend and a valued customer back in SoCal Bobvonb, I think the only person I've ever met in person on this board. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thanks, Lance. feelings are mutual. besides taking good care of our HVAC needs I was able to share my meager gun collection with you too. I've met Family-Protector here locally and a bunch more at SeabeeScotties shutzen-und-plinkin gathering a few years ago when I happened to be in the area in OK at the right time. Don't know where he disappeared to, he still has one of my guns but that's life and more importantly I'm hoping he is well.

Registered
Nowadays, I don't care if I get that deer. I enjoy the other parts of "the hunt" so much that that is the reason I get out in the woods. I have walked up with 10 feet of a deer laying in it's bed. The panic in his eyes, when he realized I was watching him was haunting. I didn't shoot.
I have watched a 10 point blast out of hiding and smash through a screen of brush, leaving an outline like you see on a Looney Tunes cartoon.
Bow hunting in camo, resting on a stump, a partridge walked up just a few feet from my boots and began dusting. It had no clue I was watching it. It finally noticed my eyes blinking and blasted out of there.

Hunting with a group, we talked a plan, split up and began moving along. I came across fresh tracks and decided to follow them. Dang but those tracks led right back to where we were all standing. That deer had laid just under a log not 10 feet from where we all had been chit-chatting. I was amazed.

Bucks only season. Heard deer running towards me and I was caught in an opening with no place to get out of sight. Four does ran up to the edge of cover and I just stood still with rifle at the ready in case a buck was there. There wasn't. I lowered my rifle in full view of those does. The big one stomped her foot and two of them walked past me on the right and two went past on the left. I could have touched them with my rifle. They were not afraid of me.

Sneaking to my stand with sun not yet up. Heard birds flushing and figured it was maybe a deer. Slowed down and just crept along. Figured I got busted so I continued to my stand on a little horseback, just below the top of it, and sneaked to the blind. Reached under the rock to get the seat i had hidden. When I stood up I was almost nose to nose with a coyote the had no idea I was there until we were face to face. Man! Did he ever disappear fast! Strangely, I was surprised but never felt afraid of it. That's what was spooking the birds.

I have had so many good experiences with the woods and wildlife that I sometimes forget them until I think of them to tell about them.
That is why I hunt and fish. It's not about the deer I have killed or the fish I have caught. It IS all about the experiences I never would have had if I had not been out in the woods. Even better if I have a grandson or granddaughter with me.

Coincidentally, and completely unrelated to this post, several hours ago I sealed the envelope with the application and payment for my Maine Lifetime Hunting and Fishing License.

Registered
I just love to be in the woods too. if I happen to shoot a deer or turkey, thats just "icing on the cake". actually, sometimes I am glad I didn't get a shot and that I don't have to drag out a big animal and clean & butcher it. the work begins after you pull the trigger! I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Premium Member
Nowadays, I don't care if I get that deer. I enjoy the other parts of "the hunt" so much that that is the reason I get out in the woods. I have walked up with 10 feet of a deer laying in it's bed. The panic in his eyes, when he realized I was watching him was haunting. I didn't shoot.
I have watched a 10 point blast out of hiding and smash through a screen of brush, leaving an outline like you see on a Looney Tunes cartoon.
Bow hunting in camo, resting on a stump, a partridge walked up just a few feet from my boots and began dusting. It had no clue I was watching it. It finally noticed my eyes blinking and blasted out of there.

Hunting with a group, we talked a plan, split up and began moving along. I came across fresh tracks and decided to follow them. Dang but those tracks led right back to where we were all standing. That deer had laid just under a log not 10 feet from where we all had been chit-chatting. I was amazed.

Bucks only season. Heard deer running towards me and I was caught in an opening with no place to get out of sight. Four does ran up to the edge of cover and I just stood still with rifle at the ready in case a buck was there. There wasn't. I lowered my rifle in full view of those does. The big one stomped her foot and two of them walked past me on the right and two went past on the left. I could have touched them with my rifle. They were not afraid of me.

Sneaking to my stand with sun not yet up. Heard birds flushing and figured it was maybe a deer. Slowed down and just crept along. Figured I got busted so I continued to my stand on a little horseback, just below the top of it, and sneaked to the blind. Reached under the rock to get the seat i had hidden. When I stood up I was almost nose to nose with a coyote the had no idea I was there until we were face to face. Man! Did he ever disappear fast! Strangely, I was surprised but never felt afraid of it. That's what was spooking the birds.

I have had so many good experiences with the woods and wildlife that I sometimes forget them until I think of them to tell about them.
That is why I hunt and fish. It's not about the deer I have killed or the fish I have caught. It IS all about the experiences I never would have had if I had not been out in the woods. Even better if I have a grandson or granddaughter with me.

Coincidentally, and completely unrelated to this post, several hours ago I sealed the envelope with the application and payment for my Maine Lifetime Hunting and Fishing License.
Thanks for that. You and I hunt alike. I too have looked into Gods eye. That鈥檚 what hunting is really all about - making memories.

I only wish I鈥檇 packed a camera more as I have seen things that literally took me off my feet. When it鈥檚 my time I hope it鈥檚 in the high country on a warm September afternoon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update. 107 workouts in on the Nordic Trac treadmill and I can really feel the difference! I got the draw for an 'X' zone in Northern California where the odds are so much better than in my local San Bernardino mountains. So I'm getting excited about the hunt in October. Also, I have a 30-06 build in progress at the gunsmith. I'm loving my 7x57 but if the -06 is a good shooter, who knows what I'll take out on any particular day. Also have a small ring 7x57 Mauser coming in this week. I'm interested to see if will shoot minute-of-deer.

Registered
about 10 years ago I posted the question about this topic. I was in my early 60s and was wondering if it was all worth it (including getting a new rifle) if I only had a few years to hunt. Thankfully I was persuaded that yes, I had enough time left so I got Steve to build me a 7x57 (which I love) and hunted with my son-in-law and my #2 son until prostate cancer surgery stopped me until last year. Now at 74 I start to ask myself the same question, how many years of hunting left? What I determined is that I'll be damned if I'm going to let a few medical issues stop me and I can see hunting until at least 80 although I might let the boys help with the heavy lifting. We used the first round of stimulus money to get a Nordic Track treadmill and I have set a goal of being fit enough to do some decent stalking and walking by the fall. Your mileage may vary. :cool:
Get 鈥榚r done! One day I hope to be the old guy walking the easy trail looking for a buck.

Registered
Update. 107 workouts in on the Nordic Trac treadmill and I can really feel the difference! I got the draw for an 'X' zone in Northern California where the odds are so much better than in my local San Bernardino mountains. So I'm getting excited about the hunt in October. Also, I have a 30-06 build in progress at the gunsmith. I'm loving my 7x57 but if the -06 is a good shooter, who knows what I'll take out on any particular day. Also have a small ring 7x57 Mauser coming in this week. I'm interested to see if will shoot minute-of-deer.
It sounds like you are putting in a lot of hard work and seeing some fine rewards. And putting in the time at the range should really pay off for you in October. Keep up the good work!:)

Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
You guys are showing off due to younger age. :LOL:

I am very comfortable being part of my Baby Boomer Generation. We can still move around, and we own a lot of the money.

Great news Bob! Great draw! Who's building that 30-06? I never had much luck at all finding a 'smith in the high desert except a guy named Jon over in Hesperia but he was slowing way down and retiring after working I think at Martin Retting in LA.

Super Moderator
going on 78 and have hunted in africa six times and would have gone on the seventh this year if not for the damn covis.
which one are you ?? bwaaa..... Seriously, what kind of caliber and make is your rifle? Looks good buddy.

Super Moderator
The desire to hunt must surely be imprinted in a person's DNA. Some folks simply don't seem to have the gene. But... seeing older folks hunt does remind me of an old fly fisherman's musing: "Some folks go to church and think about fishing, some men go fishing and think about God." A good hunt doesn't have to be about the whereabouts of game.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
update: just passed birthday 75. One month to go before hunting season. Praying that fires are under control up there in NorCal (aka State of Jefferson). And yes, a large part of this hunting trip will be to build memories, specifically hunting with one of my boys. That's priority one. Priority two is for him to fill his tag and only then priority three would be venison for me.

For those interested in the technical details: I'll be taking my 7x57, and using 139 gr GMX lead free bullets. See picture for the rifle. It's got a Hogue rubberized stock and can really be knocked about without worry.

Hunting will be in one of the premium (i.e., limited draw) zones, Zone X-1. Hunter success is about 35% and ~720 tags issued.

What I'm doing to get ready is daily workouts on a Nordic Track treadmill. We signed up in February with iFit and are enjoying the various parts of the world the trainers take us to that we would never visit in real life.

Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
update: just passed birthday 75. One month to go before hunting season. Praying that fires are under control up there in NorCal (aka State of Jefferson). And yes, a large part of this hunting trip will be to build memories, specifically hunting with one of my boys. That's priority one. Priority two is for him to fill his tag and only then priority three would be venison for me.

For those interested in the technical details: I'll be taking my 7x57, and using 139 gr GMX lead free bullets. See picture for the rifle. It's got a Hogue rubberized stock and can really be knocked about without worry.

Hunting will be in one of the premium (i.e., limited draw) zones, Zone X-1. Hunter success is about 35% and ~720 tags issued.

What I'm doing to get ready is daily workouts on a Nordic Track treadmill. We signed up in February with iFit and are enjoying the various parts of the world the trainers take us to that we would never visit in real life.
Hey Bob,
Good to see you again ! Steve Bowers and I have been working together some the past 7 years and He told me he had been building Rifles for you ! I got to meet Brother Bob, Seebee Scotty at the Tulsa gun Show as well as several others from several Forums.Blake from Missouri has been to my home here and BigCaneswift has as well. All Great Guys!!
FYI Steve is in the Hospital battling Covid so Please keep him in your Prayers.
Rich

21 - 40 of 50 Posts