Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Never stop Bob. When you stop living, you start dying.
I hear that.
Sadly, I have a friend who is the same age as I am. He's got health issues that are different than mine.
But unfortunately he'll seem to hold those ailments up like he's wanting recognition for having them. And despite talk won't do a damn thing to overcome them.
Indeed it's in the mind spirit and soul.
To his credit he has lost weight but that's not totally good because that was when he was too depressed to eat.
I've got my issues but I plan on going to the gym later tonight so I can literally and figuratively get back on my feet.
Been doing that since April/May. After recovering from Covid19.
Yeah this is sounding like a rant and it kind of is. Anyways I got a Planet Fitness "Black Card" membership in hopes he'd want to tag along and maybe start to work out. Nope not a peep out of him. What's annoying is he'll butt right in if I'm talking to someone else about hunting, competition shooting or hiking. Any of which he's not really physically fit for. Me if I jumped through hoops and had knee replacement surgery and all I'd be good to go for anything again.
But nope they won't do it yet ...oh well.
Back to hunting and such and all. At the least I could get a hunting license and blast a Deer or two maybe out the back window of the house.
But that ain't my style of hunting.
If ...well when I get back to my ideal weight...my ideal weight I'll be able to stalk, track and get out in the deep woods again. That's 6'2" about 220-230lbs and bench pressing 200lbs 50 times.

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
I hear that.
Sadly, I have a friend who is the same age as I am. He's got health issues that are different than mine.
But unfortunately he'll seem to hold those ailments up like he's wanting recognition for having them. And despite talk won't do a damn thing to overcome them.
Indeed it's in the mind spirit and soul.
To his credit he has lost weight but that's not totally good because that was when he was too depressed to eat.
I've got my issues but I plan on going to the gym later tonight so I can literally and figuratively get back on my feet.
Been doing that since April/May. After recovering from Covid19.
Yeah this is sounding like a rant and it kind of is. Anyways I got a Planet Fitness "Black Card" membership in hopes he'd want to tag along and maybe start to work out. Nope not a peep out of him. What's annoying is he'll butt right in if I'm talking to someone else about hunting, competition shooting or hiking. Any of which he's not really physically fit for. Me if I jumped through hoops and had knee replacement surgery and all I'd be good to go for anything again.
But nope they won't do it yet ...oh well.
Back to hunting and such and all. At the least I could get a hunting license and blast a Deer or two maybe out the back window of the house.
But that ain't my style of hunting.
If ...well when I get back to my ideal weight...my ideal weight I'll be able to stalk, track and get out in the deep woods again. That's 6'2" about 220-230lbs and bench pressing 200lbs 50 times.
You can do this, Ed.

Hell, truth is, you already have. Time just takes a while to catch up, sometimes. Hang tough, brother.

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
432 Posts
I finally folded on my hunting. [I previously said that I was old and on Medicare]. I also stopped working on my own cars. This was a bigger hobby for me.

I am saying that I can't walk 5+ miles in the woods to get a deer, nor can I crawl up under a car to replace a broken transmission. I recognize this.

Nonetheless, I can still enjoy my hobbies without my younger self.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hey Bob,
Good to see you again ! Steve Bowers and I have been working together some the past 7 years and He told me he had been building Rifles for you ! I got to meet Brother Bob, Seebee Scotty at the Tulsa gun Show as well as several others from several Forums.Blake from Missouri has been to my home here and BigCaneswift has as well. All Great Guys!!
FYI Steve is in the Hospital battling Covid so Please keep him in your Prayers.
Rich
Oh my. Yes, Steve is building a 30-06 for me. I last talked with him a month or so ago and had no idea he has COVID. He certainly will be added to my prayer list. I have no idea what stage the rifle is at, I didn't want to be bugging him about it but he has all the pieces (action, new barrel, stock, scope and rings, etc.)

·
Wonderment :)
34,697 Posts
MoosemanOk 684: Sir; share with”Sbowers5” our prayers
and too; stop in and visit 😁
His band of “brothers n sisters” are gathered. Lifting him, family, friends
during this troubling time
Asking for strength, patience, understanding, guidance and his continued love

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
About 21 years ago I had a minor heart attack. I lost the ability to go long distances and to run much. So, I just started hunting smarter and moving less. And darn, I started killing much bigger deer. And have nearly every year since. Much of my life I hunted like an infantryman topping lots of ridgelines glassing and stalking and then hauling them back miles. Today, I hunt like a sniper, I find a good ridgeline, not too far from a road or access and I just wait. It takes longer but it works.

Not a year passes that I do not fall asleep laying out there in the hills and wake up to hunt later. I have wondered if coyotes and cougars would start eating on a sleeping guy or if they would try to kill you first, anybody know?

If you can breath you can hunt. IMHO

41 - 50 of 50 Posts