close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Too young?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Despoiler, Apr 8, 2002.

1. How young is too young for a BB gun. Today I gave my 5-year-old son, my old daisy spring BB gun. I got this when I was 5 from my dad. My wife did not exactly jump for joy when she found out but she did not say “noâ€￾. I am trying to give him his first experience when firearms and teach him early. Today he had no BB’s, but I continually stressed gun safety. Don’t point at people, don’t put you finger on trigger until you are ready to shoot, ect…. Am I pushing him too early? My wife does not mind me having guns, but I think she is concerned that her baby is being introduced too early. My thought is how I was raised, and guns were a part of my childhood, I was allowed access to guns very early, but I had been taught to respect guns and treat them with care. The boy loves all things that I do, and I want to have him be part of this. What do you guys think?
    :target:

2. Benny

Benny G&G Newbie

I don't think that's too early at all. I was given a .22 when I was 5 and continually stressed safety by my father and not once have I ever had an accident of any sort with a firearm. All those things my father stressed when I was young stick in my mind every time I handle a firearm. You're doing the right thing!!

Benny

3. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    You are the one that knows the kid. I have seen 5 yr olds that couldn't find their way out of a paper sack, Then there are 5 yr olds that are fine young boys.
    You know what you got.
    In todays political climate if he had an accident or incedent YOU would be held responsible.
    What do you think CPS would do if they knew you had given a gun to a 5 year old?
    Benny these are things you have to concider now a days.
    In my book if YOU think you made the right decision then you did.
    It's your son, and your business
    Unfortunatly not everybody feels the way I do about your children.
    Best wishes friend

4. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Good job

I bought a BB gun and I gave it to my son this past year at the age of 6. Although I gave it to him he does not ever shoot it alone(without me present). I always stress safety. He is a little small for the gun (ERGONOMICS) and rarely hits the can at 15 foot but he loves it and that is what matters. I plan on getting him a .22 for christmas so I can take him to the gun range with me.

Tell your wife TS and get over it. Take her to the range sometime. I plan on buying myself, uh I mean, my wife a pistol this year once I get her going to the range with me regularly. My siter who doesn't like guns (an HCI candidate if I ever saw one) let me take her oldest son to shoot the BB gun last week with my boy. He did quite well. Just use good sense and she'll go along.

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Depends on ther kid for sure. I got my son started early on the safety stuff before he fired BB one. At 13 I'm pretty proud of him. He can hit as many clays as I can, & while at the range the other day a LE buddy of mine let him shoot his .40 S&W while I let his kid shoot my muzzle loader. That kid handled the .40 like a pro, nice group and all. Heck, I havent gotten to try a .40 yet!

6. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Depends on the person. I know some kids at 5 that have the wisdom of Soloman and can handle it. I know some kids at 15 that are dense as diamond.

I can tell you a whole bunch of folks that are against BB guns and go right for 22's. My Dad for one. He consided a BB gun a toy, and not the proper way to teach gun safety.

I know several kids at five that were tought. Now at 7-9 shoot at rondys and in comp.

To this day 100 years later I have never owned one, and may have played with friend's when I was a teen and already into my A3-03.

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I just gave my step-son, who's 10, a .22 Cricket. I bought it, and he liked it, so for Christmas, I gave it to him. (With his mother and fathers' permission, of course!) He's had proper instruction on how to safely handle it. It's got a built-in lock on it, and it stays in his room on a rifle rack his mom bought him. Amamzingly enough, all of his friends' parents don't have a problem with their sons coming over.
    So, Allen, if you feel like he's responsible enough, then have at it. My Dad used to let me clean his .38 when I was 5, and that's how I learned about firearms. You are doing your son justice by teaching him during his most formative years. Lessons learned at that age last a lifetime. Good luck, my friend. :target:

8. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

5 is plenty old enough I would have gone with a 22 but that would have been me

9. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Armorer,my Dad was the same way,so he started me out on a .22 at 5 yo. Guess it didn't hurt. But, I think a BB gun is fine to start-out with honing skills.

10. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I still would recommend a single shot pellet gun over a BB gun. Pellets are much safer and more accurate. You know the movie where the kid wants a BB gun for Christmas and everyone keeps telling him he's going to shoot his eye out? Well, it DOES happen. I work with a man who is blind in one eye because he shattered his cornea with a BB ricochet when he was a kid. I was hit once with a ricocheting BB, decided they were unsafe, and switched to pellets. I know of no one who ever got hit by a pellet ricochet.

11. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

WHich gun

Hey Calvin how much did that cricket set you back? If anyone else has any ideas on a good junior rifle let me know. I do not want to spend 400$ though. I prefer a bolt action .22/.22lr so he can get use to the process of loading the action; but a breakdown will work. I think remington has a .22/410 breakdown for 180 (at the shop) but i really wanted bolt action.:target:

12. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    if the childs mature enough for the responsibility age doesnt matter. and hey klaus, pellets do ricochet. when we were younger my brother and i were shooting my co2 powered revolver at a steel garbage can(dumb idea), he was standing right next to me while i was shooting, and the pellet came right back and hit him in the knee- no serious harm, it only left a small welt.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

First time I heard of that happening. Were you very close to the can?

14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Never use a hard-back book for a pellet stop. Flat-nosed pellets will bounce back to the shooter. I know.
    As a candidate for a boys (or girls) first gun, H&R (or NEF?) makes a nice little "combo", with a .22LR barrel and a .410 shotgun barrel. This way, you can teach them both rifle and shotgun techniques with one lower-priced gun.
    Marlin and Savage both make very good bolt-action Youth models.

15. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

AllenT: I'd have to agree with those above who believe that the maturity of the boy/girl is the deciding factor. Some (klutzes) definitely should never get near a gun, even when they're 99 yrs old. (ha)

Others will show a demeanor and aptitude for firing and handling the gun at an early age, even as young as five.

Personally, I was nine yrs old when my dad bought my brother and I each a BB gun. He was a WWII Navy veteran and really emphasized strict gun safety. Then at the age of 12 I shot my first 22 rifle and 16 ga shotgun when we moved to a farm in Kansas.

You have to be the judge of his maturity level because, as you know, you'll be legally responsible for whatever happens for several more years.

16. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Oxford said it well. My shooting buddy has an adopted son, who he had bought a Red Ryder bb-gun for. We looked forward to teaching the young man (12 now) the shooting sports, but it turns out he just doesn't have the maturity and self-discipline. The boy is literally a juvenile delinquent. We just can't trust him with any sort of gun.
    Another buddy has a son of similar age who has his own customized 9mm 1911, and shoots competition. The lad is very good with a 10-22, and can beat me in shooting aspirins at 50 yards.
    The difference in the two boys is night and day, and both were raised in good homes. We truly don't know what went wrong with the one boy.

17. TOO YOUNG????

I HAVE BEEN A HUNTER SAFTY INSTRUCTOR FOR OVER 30 YEARS. I DO NOT RESTRICT STUDENTS BY AGE. MANY FIVE AND SIX YEAR OLDS HAVE COME WITH THEIR DADS, MOMS, BROTHERS AND SISTERS. WHILE I DO NOT PASS THEM AT THAT AGE SOMETIMES THEY ARE SOME OF THE BEST OF THE YOUNGER STUDENTS. CLASSES RUN FROM WHATEVER WALKS THROUGH THE DOOR THE OLDEST HAS BEEN 92 A WW11 VET WHO FOUND HIS 45 AND WANTED TO USE IT AFTER NO HUNTING OR SHOOTING FOR 50 YEARS. IF ANYONE OF YOU WANT A REWARDING TIME PLEASE GET INTO YOUR STATES HUNTER SAFTY, BOW HUNTING, TRAPPING PROGRAMS. YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG.
    DANA

18. DavidC

DavidC G&G Newbie

Allen
    My son is now 14 and he has the highest respect for his guns . he started at about four or five with my old bbgun too. if you spend time with him he too will respect the guns you and most of others .As i said my son respects his gun and keeps them in his room in his gun cabnet with his trigger locks to protect his cousins. He I did not hide the guns from him or my daughter and both of them are responsible gun owners now. get him involved and like Ted Nuggent once said I take my son hunting so i dont have to go hunting my son . hey and he will also make a real good reason to buy more guns. DavidC

19. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

As a former social worker I personaly believe that with supervision no age is too young...as long as the can comprehend how to hold it and pull the triger. I have found that 1 day old is a little young and that hospital types get kind of weirded out if you put a NAA 5 shot derringer in the crib with the baby :)

20. Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the support and information. My boy is very bright and he listens well. I have never hidden my guns from my children but I do keep gun locks on them. I have an idiot nefew whom I would not trust with an unloaded squirt gun, and he is here often. Besides a couple of years ago i was sitting in my living room and i heard a gun shot. I went outside and i heard screaming comming from the house behind mine, so i went over and a boy and his brother were playing with thier dads gun and one shot the other, he was hit in the face. :( I did what i could to help, the child did live but he required major surgery to reconstruct his face. This experience taught me that children have to be taught early to respect guns. I am trying to get my son introduced to guns early so the respect is deeply ingrained.