Took a bunch of commie guns to the range

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by gandog56, May 5, 2008.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Finally, finally, got to the range. The Mosin-Nagant 91/30 has the absolute right elevation, but was shooting about an inch and a half to the left. I mistakenly left the bayonet at home, and heard that shooting without it will change the POI, so I guess I'll have to take her out and try it again. After trucking out and back 100 yards, my knees were already aching, seeing as I just had them both replaced, so I set up for the Mosin-Nagant M44 at 50 yards. The windage was perfect, but the POI of the group center was about 3.5 inches high. I figure it may be good at 100 yards, and that is as low as the sights go down to. So I'm leaving that one alone until I try her out at 100 yards. The M44 definately kicks harder, even though it shoots the exact same bullet as the 91/30. The M1895 Nagant pistol has about the same kick as a .22, which surprised me, as the bullet is much longer. Double action is about impossible to shoot it accurately, but it's not too bad single action. Now if they only made a laser for this!

All in all, was pretty impressed with guns that cost me $69.95, $79.95, and $69.95.

And oh yeah, fired off a box of tracer rounds through my Saiga AK. Whoo weee, that was fun.

2. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Evangelist

welcome to the wonderful world of mosinitis.

3. Hey BB nice to see you back on the MN board.:)

4. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

gandog, the m44 is the one that has to have the bayonet out to get it "on target", not the 91/30. With the 91/30, you just need to drift the front sight to follow the POI, so since it's a little to the left, drift the front sight with a brass punch a little to the left; just a little, mind you, a light tap should do.

Sounds like you had quite a Blast out there. I love taking my commie guns out with me, three mosins and an AK-varaint (AES-10). But I like shooting them all for different reasons.

5. More fun to just put the bayonet on whenever he takes it to the range...:09:

The bayonet will definitely affect the POI on a 91/30 also. At least, it does on mine.

6. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

I agree with bringing the bayo on anything that will take it... so much fun to see the looks on the other shooter's faces when you "charge" downrange to retrieve your target and stab it when you get there. :D

I haven't been able to get my bayo onto my 91/30 yet, so wasn't aware of the POI change, nor had I heard of anyone else saying as much. Good to know.

7. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

At 100 yrds and only 1 1/2 to left leave it alone !! that is a very good shot!!

8. Yeah, I have heard that all be the M38 Mosin's where originally zero'd with their bayonets attached. Unfortunately, back when I bought my 91/30 6 years ago, they weren't coming with their bayo's at the time.:sad2: And my M91/10 didn't come with one when I bought it two years ago either...But, I'll only shoot the M44 with her's kicked out!!! lol Gandog, I'm glad to hear you were able to get out the and put some rounds down range with the Russian women! Hopefully the knees will ease up on you! Good luck, take care!

9. glad you got a chance to get back to the range! ditto on the knees.

10. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

get a power wheelchair, that way u can shoot from bench position and retrieve target from same position :D

11. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

I have a power wheel chair and it works great at the range ! I have a back that puts me in a wheel chair about 6 months out of a yrs and when its to a point I cant walk the chair allows me to still shoot .. I would talk to your doc you may qualify for a chair if the knee's dont heal like they should..Like I said the shooting sounded pretty good to me LOL

12. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Sean- You mean M44's. Originally, ALL Mosins that took bayonets were zeroed with them attached/extended. I have been wondering if this is the case with the rearsenaled ones? As Sean stated, some didn't even come with one.
    Sean, if you want a bayonet, I have one for you. PM me.

13. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

if you giv him the bayonet, can i have the rifle? :D

14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

That what I was thinking, but guess I just made one more excuse to get back to the range.:09:
    ****, I got a sore shoulder this morning.....and I LIKE it!:burnout:
    The M44 definitely kicks harder than the 91/30.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  15. lol! i almost regret mine stopped hurting after a dozen trips to the range.

16. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

yeahi agree my mosin doesnt hurt my soulder anymore eather, used to though!

17. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

JAC- Try some 400 grit rolled up and take a little off at a time from inside the bayonet's tube.
    Mike- If I run out of room for it...

18. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

I appreciate the advice SS... I know where this one needs sanding, just haven't gotten around to it as it's not really a priority. :wink1:

19. Trigger Toe

Trigger Toe Guest

Any gun experts here?

20. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

experts?? In our dreams LOL:)