Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well on Friday I was lucky enough to have the day off and went to the range with a friend from work and his young son. the friend is in his mid 50's. im mid 30's, his son is 17. Friend is retired Air Force, now working as a civilian, has had firearms in the past when he was stationed in AK, but not much other than a .300 win mag and a .357 revolver. although he has had training via the air force with the m-16.

Anyways we shot lots of stuff including my .22 revolver and ruger mkIII 22/45, then the sig p238, and the ruger SR9C.

after finishing up at that pistol range( the 17/yo/o loved the zombie splatter targets) we moved over to the rifle range and shot the ruger 10/22, the mosin nagant and finally the S&W MP-15. both of them thoroughly enjoyed the experience as did I. i was was happy to let them shoot my guns as the friend hasnt in along time and the young kid had only shot a .22 single shot in Boy scouts. it was interesting spending the day with a 17 y/o. i was happy to hear that he is mostly right leaning in his thoughts despite being part of the march-for-our-lives generation, he believes restrictions to the 2nd are not the solution to the problem.

I was surprised that the didnt think that the mosin kicked as much as i said it would but thought the AR kicked more than he thought it would.

all in all it was a nice range day, we put the ar-15 through its paces firing close to 100 rounds in a relatively short time, getting the barrel really hot and testing hot accuracy and function. Im happy to report the ar had not one malfunction. the only issue we had was a steel cased .380 getting stuck int he chamber of the sigp238. all it took was a quick poke with a cleaning rod and it was the ammo's fault not the gun. other than that all was well for our day at the range.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It's a good thing to get the youth involved in our shooting sports, as long as we keep it safe and fun for them. If we don't continue we'll eventually lose our foothold and our rights. (ex: hunting is on a decline because kids aren't getting exposed to it)
When my kids were all in the 4H shooting sports I'd help out on occasion, and one of my favorite memories is taking the whole club to shoot sporting clays at a local club. I probably had more fun than the kids did that day, and I always have fun as long as it goes bang.
Keep up the good work MosinRuger!

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I LOVE threads about folks teaching their youngsters how to shoot!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I've got pictures somewhere of my 3 kids shooting a Red Ryder BB gun off my back porch. They were little tykes then and as short as that BB gun is, they could not hold it without hald the stock sticking out under their arm. All three today own their own guns and shoot them. And they have taught all of my grandkids to shoot as well.

My daughter (my youngest) ended up with that BB gun for her 2 kids. And of course, they have now outgrown it, I hope that will get passed on to the next generation.

·
Premium Member
23,949 Posts
Yep, initiating the next generation is important.
That's the reason I always have a firearm or 2 that shoots 22LR when I go to the range also. No better platform to teach a new shooter with.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I too went to the range yesterday with grand kids. I brought me Jungle carbine and a No1 MkIII Enfield, Met couple with 4th grader and he was fasinated with my MkIII. He and I went over it, showed him it was built in 1917. Full military configuration. I gave him a .303 round with parents permission. I don't know who enjoyed the time, the kid or me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts