Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent off my big pile of paperwork to CMP today to order a greek return frield grade M1 garand. These are the best quality as all the service grades are gone.
Hopefully I get it in a month or so.

Any idea what I should expect? a ton of cosmo? rust?

By the way..CMP is also getting a shipment of 50,000 or so m1 carbines in a couple months...I may get one of those too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ruger22Com,

Just received mine this week (Tuesday), no cosmoline, in decent shape and shoots well. I sent off the paperwork in early November. No complaints, but may have to do some work on stock. There is a gouge in it that looks like it might of occurred when a bunch of em was piled together. Our local Walmart is selling civilian Remington 30.06 at practically half price $13 something for box of 20.

Hope you get a good one, if I was you I would go to the anniston store in AL, how far do you live from the southern store? I understand you can pick yours out if you visit them (i might be wrong about that).

Jim M1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good luck. I got a really nice post war Sprinfield. Metal was great but looked like beavers got to the stock.Ebay and Dougs stock pile to the rescue.

John

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
Hope you get a good one, if I was you I would go to the anniston store in AL, how far do you live from the southern store? I understand you can pick yours out if you visit them (i might be wrong about that).
Jim M1
He's a few hours away from the Anniston Store, with that store being ENE of Birmingham, on the way to Atlanta, and he being down on the coast.. I was down in Montgomery a few weeks ago and my plane was delayed for a day, so I was going to bounce up to the store, FFL 03 in hand (and my FOID and Beloit Rifle Club membership) and see if I could pick one out..
Then Delta called and they bussed me to Atlanta, ruining all my plans..:sad2:

Anyway, I've got all my paperwork signed and notarized, and will be sending off to get in thier system. I'm actually interested in the carbine in the next few months.. Maybe if I pawn off a Mosin Nagant or 2???:bigeyes:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
By the way..CMP is also getting a shipment of 50,000 or so m1 carbines in a couple months...I may get one of those too!
I have been pricing M1 carbines lately for an addition to the collection. I was tipped off about that very thing. The problem is that no range around here is affiliated with CMP. I looked at the entire state list. I want one...bad.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Ihave 12 Garands from CMP and not one has ever been covered in preservative. Alittle greasy but not bad. Istill completely strip them down to the smallest part and clean /oil them. Yes the wood may need the most work/ attention . I would also suggest replacing the Op Rod spring (just something I do) I;m also looking forward to the Carbines. Don't know about 50,000 of them though. Sounds to me like the number is growing daily! Let us know how you do on the Garand

·
Registered
980 Posts
Nc

I have been pricing M1 carbines lately for an addition to the collection. I was tipped off about that very thing. The problem is that no range around here is affiliated with CMP. I looked at the entire state list. I want one...bad.
Hey Troy
Try [email protected]/ They are in North Carolina and used to advertise memberships for shooting the qualifying matches for CMP purchases.
He is the guy in Shotgun News that always has two page M14 stock ads, marksmanship articles, etc.\\
Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
They say you should NOT shoot commercial ammo in your Garand. Primers are too weak and you can damage your rifle if the bullet weight is too high.
Feel free to jump in ammo experts.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't know who "they" are, but I disagree. What is a "weak" primer? Never heard that before. Not sure on the bullet weight comment, but I only shoot 170 gr or lighter, depending on what I'm hunting. For general fun shooting I use GI ball.
Sarge

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Primers have nothing to do with it, bullet weight is not as important as the powder commercial rounds use. It has to do with the rate of burn and the gas system, what will eventually happen is you can damage the Op Rod. I can't beleieve how many people use commercial ammo , this is a well known fact. Good Luck

·
Registered
691 Posts
Using GI Ball is fine for plinking/target shooting, BUT I do not know of a single state that will allow it for big game hunting! That can get you arrested and your rifle confiscated. Not a good way to spend/end your hunting trip.
This is the first time I've heard that you shouldn't use any type of commercial ammo in a Garand. I do not believe it to be so on an overall basis. For some few loads, Maby???
Since I only shoot commercial/handloads for hunting, I don't use much iof it, but I have No qualms about doing so.
Sarge

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live a few hours away, but I also have heard you will have better luck with mail order...the store stock is somewhat picked over, but they open fresh crates for the mail order stuff...so I am hoping for a decent shooter.

I also ordered a can of ammo (with clips) and that has already shipped.

I am curious as to the pricing they will come up with for the m1 carbines they will have in a month or so...cool.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi, new here

Let me know how that turns out. I'm thinking about getting one of the field grade Greek returns. I've seen a British return. Friend had it and sold it before I got a chance to take it off his hands. I'm just glad to hear they are operational. Imagine the finish isn't the greatest and the wood could stand some improvement but replacement stocks aren't too bad.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
No they don't open fresh crates for mail order. The mail order rifles are the exact same as the "Store" rifles. If you order a Field grade you get one off the top of the plie (or next off the rack etc) Its still luck of the draw to as what you will get. Yes the rifles at the "Stores" are a little picked over becuase now they have .22's ,1903's and 1903A's and barreled recievers taking up rack space so the selection is way down. I would still rather hand pick one and come home empty handed than take the chance of mail oredering one and getting high muzzle wear. CMP is still the best way to buy a Garand unless you are somewhat of a advanced collector and know what to look for at a gun show etc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts