Topstrap...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Robert, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Robert

Robert Member

Sure would be nice to shoot with J.D.'s gunsmith, but is J.D. as crochety in person as he is online?

2. Topstrap

Topstrap G&G Newbie

Ah, I don't know.... I guess we all have bad days. I've known him since the early 80's when he was the Ohio State Director for IHMSA slhouette. We shot a lot together at various matches and I drove out to Wyoming with JD and Blackie Sliva on an Antelope Hunt in the mid 80's. I've heard others say that he's a bit hard to talk to but I've not had any problem. He probably knows more about the TC Contender than anyone else on earth and has done a lot of development with large hunting rounds for it. A lot of people don't always agree with him or his developments but he does have a good track record. He's built numerous handguns for me and a lot of my friends over the years and it's always been topnotch work. I think it depends a lot if he knows you or not and whether he feels you know a bit about what you are talking about when you talk to him. I don't see him very often anymore, he's usually out and about somewhere but I'll keep it in mind to ask next time if he's having a bad hair day before asking any questions. I don't think I've ever seen any of his comments online so I can't make a comment on that part.

His Gunsmith is a great fella also, he's an excellent offhand shooter and likes the larger calibers in all types of guns.

Topstrap

3. Robert

Robert Member

I have also had good correspondence with him . I think maybe I rubbed him the wrong way one time trying to get some info out of him, boy, he nailed me to the wall. He sure makes a fine firearm though. I like my .375 JDJ a lot. I think I need to look into something to bite down on like boxers and football players use. I went up yesterday to change my zero from 250 to 100 yds. Shot about 10 rounds. Made my fillings hurt, Yeouch, but heck, I'd have all my teeth yanked before I give that baby up. Have been having a real blast with my 7TCU also. They are my two favorites.