close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

total newbie wants a turk

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by collinthib, Aug 14, 2002.

1. I have been researching the turkish mausers and went to the local gunshop to get some info, but the owner's daughter didn't know enough to convince me to buy one. Like y'all said, they were between $69-$89. They looked pretty greasy, and that kinda turned me off immediately because I know absolutely nothing about cleaning rifles. Hell, I don't even know what bluing is. I need just about all the help I can get. Thanks

:confused:

2. Collin--

I highly recommend the Turk. They are a great rifle. The action on them are superior to any other and in my opinion will match a German K98. As far as appearance is concerned, they are, with a lot of TLC, very easy to clean up. You will be suprised. The pig that I bought was $70. I cleaned it thoroughly. The bore is like a mirror now. The stock actually cleaned up well, although it will always have character. For the money, you are really getting a great bargain. Go buy one, let me now how it goes!

For the money your going to have a lot of fun. I own a Yugo and a Turk and when I got the Turk I was like "oh sh it , why did I buy this?!" But after really cleaning it up it is one of my favorite rifles. They are very accurate since they are a long gun. Make sure you get one of the ones for about $80. Thats about how much mine cost. My bore was dark, but it was not pitted, I used regular Hoppes #9 overnight, then I used Sweets 7.62 cleaner. I got the bore to look like a mirror. Tha action is as smooth as butter. I was very impressed with it. On the Yugo, the action is more "choppy" if you know what I mean. I would go for it. The ammo is cheap, I shoot nothing but the Turk surplus. Make sure if you do use that ammo to immediatly clean the weopan after your shooting session to neutralize the corrosive ammo. I use ammonia water. Any other questions you have I will be happy to answer.

Good Luck

Mike

ps--

www.bobtuley.com/mauser/

This website will help you out with the Mauser!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2002

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

whatcha need to do is take along some one familiar with mausers, to help you pick out one, then pick up a good manual on mauser rifles. then go home study the manual a little and you and friend can strip and clean (the rifle that is).:eek: